Lionheart

greylord

Anyone remember this game?

I was walking down in a Big Lots recently, and saw that they surprisingly had a computer games section. In it I found a cheap copy of Max Payne and of all things, Lionheart.

They were $5 each. For that cost I figured it was well worth the money. I know some don't like Lionheart, but for that amount, I can't lose.

They also had Riddick:Butcher Bay, apocrypha, and some other games, but those were the only two I wanted.

I thought I got a bargain. I already had copies, hadn't played them in ages though. So now it's time to play them all over again I guess.

I actually enjoyed Lionheart. Call me crazy. The only thing is, the later half is a slogfest with boring monsters. Still, it got a lot of undeserved grief. Combined with the richly deserved grief it received, Lionheart never got any street cred. Hell, the Black Isle folks did everything but wear t-shirts that said, "It's not our fault."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i'd rather pull my hair and teeth out with a pair of pliers than play that game again. that and PoRII are on my all-time list of "wasted time i'll never, ever, ever be able to reclaim."

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Barcelona was fun. When you weren't fighting, that is.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You'd have to pay me $5 to play Lionheart again, but that's partly because I'm canny with my time these days.

For comparison, you'd have to beat me into submission with angry fists to make me play NWN again.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Butcher bay for 5 bucks? Now that's a bargain. It's very, very good. Like, Deus Ex good.

:ermm:

I now MUST track this game down!

I was going to get it because I love Pitch Black... but if the game is like DE (w00t)

it's linear and doesnt really have any RP options, but man, the action is very good. plus you can sneak yr way through the whole game. the atmosphere is very good and if you liked pitch black/riddick as a character, it's a must buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to say I'm reminded once again why I both liked and disliked Lionheart.

All the severe griping about it is really undeserved, although much of the normal griping might not be.

Playing it again has made me completely thrilled, and then wanting to tear my hair out.

The first fourth/third of the game IS SUPERB...I mean almost (but not quite) as great as a IE game (however IE games tend to have more to explore, overall more side quests, and a better ability to pause and command). I did pause the game to change magic skills alot, but the combat still turned brutal after that third...and then the screaming began (okay, not screaming...but maybe cursing???).

However, the first third of the game...awesome (at least I'm figuring it's the first third, seeing this is from memory and this time around I couldn't beat it). Perhaps some of the best $5 ever spent. In fact, I'd recommend such a game. Just be prepared to take it easy once you can't get any further, relax, say it's just a game, and be happy for your previous experience, and quell the desire that you think you have to go further.

In otherwords, enjoy the first part just for the sake of the game, and then after that, move on to another one.

I mean, the first part had me having just as much fun almost (almost of course being key, I still have more fun with most of the IE games believe it or not) as the IE games...

It was great. In that way, I don't think it should be bashed half as bad as it is. The first portion is WELL worth it, in my opinion, which of course might differ from a lot of others.

Of course after that, you might want to switch games, but Barcelona was actually fun.

Yeah Barcelona was fun...I played that several times through. But once you get past Barcelona - to me at least - it was like the game wasn't finished (or balanced either, but then I might just suck at action games like this too).

Loved Barcelona, but to me the game needed some more time in development (I seem to remember that it was dumped without it being finished because Interplay needed the game out and wasn't going to give in on the release date anymore, so that kinda makes sense).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Lionheart : bleh : Even if you paid me, I wouldn't want to play it.

A big dissapointment. I mean Black Isle, the Special - system, the alternate-renaissance setting, - where did it all go so horribly wrong?

Nevermind, I know.

Hiring a novice console development studio, primarily known for arcadey action games to create a CRPG.

I wonder whoever came up with that bright idea? :sarcasm:

About "Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" - if you haven't played it yet I envy you. Greatly ties in to the movies and actually expands on the mythos of the Riddick universe. Good game period.

Butcher Bay is fab. One of the few movie-based games I've ever enjoyed. Its in no way a crpg though. The games it felt like most were the NOLF games, although really it was nothing like them. SO I don't know except I enjoyed it. Which is enough.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.