Lebanon vs Sudan

Walsingham

You know what's scary Meta, I actually like that idea! We need a powerful dictatorship to rule this planet. :p

Red and Black ftw! :)

I'm starting to sound a little bit like Hades aren't I? :">

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

It would be nice is the US would stop trying to force every government to adopt some form of democracy. It would probably be more effective to allow one person to take complete control and simply work with that leader to create a stable economy and fair justice system. Unfortunately politics are king, and the UN is really just one big political shoving match.

The more the U.S. sticks its nose where it doesn't belong the worse the world becomes. Take a good look at Iraq. Before the invasion Saddam had control of his country. Sure he was a trant but Iraq was far more stable then than now. Hell, thanks to our idiotic president there is now violence going on a daily basis and the country is on the verge of civil war. Guess who is in the middle of this crapfest? Our soldiers. We have done more harm than good in Iraq yet Bush is too much of an arrogant warmonger to see that what he did was wrong.

It would be nice is the US would stop trying to force every government to adopt some form of democracy.  It would probably be more effective to allow one person to take complete control and simply work with that leader to create a stable economy and fair justice system.  Unfortunately politics are king, and the UN is really just one big political shoving match.

yeah, the US tried that in the twentieth century. That why the Shah of Iran doesn't live in Persia anymore. Also see Saudi Arabia.

In short: doesn't work even worse than democracies.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The philosophy of "not sticking our nose in" was ditched after the last world war.

Of course, the internet provides a place for every Latin spouting, pretentious crazy to voice the things they think would improve our world. Please, don't take offense. I probably didn't mean you. :D

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The more the U.S. sticks its nose where it doesn't belong the worse the world becomes.  Take a good look at Iraq.  Before the invasion Saddam had control of his country.  Sure he was a trant but Iraq was far more stable then than now.  Hell, thanks to our idiotic president there is now violence going on a daily basis and the country is on the verge of civil war.  Guess who is in the middle of this crapfest?  Our soldiers.  We have done more harm than good in Iraq yet Bush is too much of an arrogant warmonger to see that what he did was wrong.

I can see this with Iraq, but what about Afghanistan? The Taliban was a terrible government that desecrated the native people and their culture. The world is a better place without the type of government that persecutes women and teaches children to hate. The Taliban is the same group that went around destroying historical artifacts, of which there are (were) a wealth of in Afghanistan, because they don't fit in with their religion.

Afghanistan is still struggling right now, but seriously, the native population has a lot more control of their own destiny than they did under a tyrannical government.

The Taliban is the same group that went around destroying historical artifacts, of which there are (were) a wealth of in Afghanistan, because they don't fit in with their religion.

Replace religion with ideology and Taliban Afghanistan with Maoist China and you get quite a few similarities :)

Yet no one lined up in the queue to invade China and liberate the chinese during the "cultural revolution" :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's because, at the end of the day, the benefits to national security must outweigh the risks of any venture. That's always the test.

The real question about Iraq isn't whether we were right or just to do it, but whether it furthered our interests.

As ugly as it is, that's the nature of foreign policy.

EDIT: And that's why we let millions die in Africa without a word while we decry the thousands, hundreds, or even individuals who die in the middle east. It's not right. I don't like it. ...But there it is.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There are tyrannies in Africa aplenty. Which one should be blamed for so many deaths? Maybe we should start with hunger, although we have to ask who will foot the bill.

Obsidian Plays

Mugabe is probably the most eligible.

One of the great paradoxes of recent times is that a saint like Nelson Mandela was leader of a regressive political party that sold millions of advanced weapons to other African nations for the governments to repress their citizens or conduct ethnic clensing (like Ethiopia attacking the Eritreans and Sudan, etc, etc).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The more the U.S. sticks its nose where it doesn't belong the worse the world becomes.  Take a good look at Iraq.  Before the invasion Saddam had control of his country.  Sure he was a trant but Iraq was far more stable then than now.  Hell, thanks to our idiotic president there is now violence going on a daily basis and the country is on the verge of civil war.  Guess who is in the middle of this crapfest?  Our soldiers.  We have done more harm than good in Iraq yet Bush is too much of an arrogant warmonger to see that what he did was wrong.

Hmmm. So I suppose they should retreat down a hole and let world events be shaped by the Russians, Chinese, and French. 'Cause then we'll live in a world of fairies and elves.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hmmm. So I suppose they should retreat down a hole and let world events be shaped by the Russians, Chinese, and French. 'Cause then we'll live in a world of fairies and elves.

Of course not but we need to be far more careful. We should only interfere in a country when they are not a risk to us when it is possible to do so without the lost of lives. Saddam Hussein was contained and he was no threat to the US and he kept order in his own country far better than what Bushie is doing right now.