Yet even more of my claims come true

Epiphany

It's a pretty non-commital statement. He says, "Bringing dx10 to the 360 is a way to help the industry." That's different than saying, "The xbox 360 GPU will be upgraded to dx10."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I tried telling some of you a long time ago that the Xbox 360 GPU would be upgraded to be DX10 compatible, but everyone just whined and cried, called me a fool, etc...

http://centracomm.cachefly.net/majornelson...8-14-06-wma.wma

Check out 12:30 to 12:50

OFFICIAL - TRUE - CONFIRMED

Thanks for playing, see you next time.

You were right about bad news...congratulations.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

But the real question is... are you still a profit? :-"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's a pretty non-commital statement.  He says, "Bringing dx10 to the 360 is a way to help the industry."  That's different than saying, "The xbox 360 GPU will be upgraded to dx10."

They're bringing DX10 to the 360. This is not up for disagreement.

Silly Cantousent/Eldar/On-Again-Off-Again Moderator/Forum's Uncle, you should know better than to offer a reasonable argument to teh great profit!!111!!!!1!!!! For he is above such things as simple sensibility, or basic reading comprehension.

You've obviously overstepped your bounds here. Nay! To even so much as utter something even remotely related to opposing teh great profit!!11!!!!!!1!!'s word is heresy of the highest order!

I bid you good day sir, and may teh great profit!!!1!!!!111!!!!1! have mercy on your obviously beleaguered soul.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Wait, is he talking about simply an OS update to support the DX10 abstractions, or a physical hardware upgrade to support DX10 primitives? In case it's simply an OS patch, it's a good thing, though somewhat insignificant (it's a friggin patch, what's the big deal). A hardware upgrade, on the other hand, would make a lot of existing X360 customers very, very annoyed unless MS offered a free exchange program or the magical ability to download the new GPU via Xbox Live.

When have we ever discussed DirectX 10 on the Xbox 360..? I for one don't remember arguing about something that insignificant and stupid. It's not exactly a world turning event going from DirectX 9 to DirectX 10.. It's still all Microsoft.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wait, is he talking about simply an OS update to support the DX10 abstractions, or a physical hardware upgrade to support DX10 primitives? In case it's simply an OS patch, it's a good thing, though somewhat insignificant (it's a friggin patch, what's the big deal). A hardware upgrade, on the other hand, would make a lot of existing X360 customers very, very annoyed unless MS offered a free exchange program or the magical ability to download the new GPU via Xbox Live.

The hardware is already above DX10 compliant - which is what I attempted to tell people here. The update will simply allow the hardware to fully utilize the DX10 features.

When have we ever discussed DirectX 10 on the Xbox 360..? I for one don't remember arguing about something that insignificant and stupid. It's not exactly a world turning event going from DirectX 9 to DirectX 10.. It's still all Microsoft.

Compare2.jpg

DX9 on left - DX 10 on right

Same geometry, same PC - different GPU and DX versions.

Yeah, it's insignificant, and not really that impressive.

The hardware is already above DX10 compliant - which is what I attempted to tell people here. The update will simply allow the hardware to fully utilize the DX10 features.

The hardware is ABOVE DX10 compliant?

So it has Shader Model 4? Why ever hasn't ATi released a PC card to that standard, then?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The hardware is ABOVE DX10 compliant?

So it has Shader Model 4? Why ever hasn't ATi released a PC card to that standard, then?

" ATI has devoted a lot of its time to developing a graphics chipset worthy of the name. Their Radeon X1000 family is based on the DirectX specifications, particularly version 9.0c (Shader Model 3.0). The Xenos (the codename for the Xbox 360's chipset) is based largely on the same specifications, but goes far beyond them. In fact, the specifications for the Xenos exceed those called for in Microsoft's Windows Graphics Foundation 2.0, aka DirectX 10."

source

Two points.

That's a nice bit of marketspeak. But it doesn't say exactly how "the specifications for the Xenos exceed those called for in Microsoft's Windows Graphics Foundation 2.0, aka DirectX 10". The X1900 doesn't have Shader Model 4 (which is, as far as I am aware, scheduled for DirectX 10).

Also, even after Vista is released next year, there won't be any games taking advantage of the newer graphics standards; not because of the lack of hardware (though that will be a factor), but because no gaming developer will spend good money now on features that no one will appreciate until they get the GPU/computer/OS/whatever in several months/years' time. It's just not good business. (Better to spend that investment on something that the paying public can directly appreciate and experience, like story writing or bug fixing, even.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm betting this thread will be killed faster than the next incarnation of phoenix EXCEPT IF WE ALL REMAIN CIVIL AND RESPECT EACH OTHER.

Edited by metadigital

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Two points.

That's a nice bit of marketspeak. But it doesn't say exactly how "the specifications for the Xenos exceed those called for in Microsoft's Windows Graphics Foundation 2.0, aka DirectX 10". The X1900 doesn't have Shader Model 4 (which is, as far as I am aware, scheduled for DirectX 10).

Also, even after Vista is released next year, there won't be any games taking advantage of the newer graphics standards; not because of the lack of hardware (though that will be a factor), but because no gaming developer will spend good money now on features that no one will appreciate until they get the GPU/computer/OS/whatever in several months/years' time. It's just not good business. (Better to spend that investment on something that the paying public can directly appreciate and experience, like story writing or bug fixing, even.)

We aren't talking about the X1900 though, we are talking about Xenos. MS had ATi build Xenos to certain specifications, and those specifications exceed WGF 2.0/DX 10.

Wait, wait, wait.

MS releases a patch for the Xbox360 to fully utilize its dx10-features. Has there ever even been such an debate whether or not such a patch will be released?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy