Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic

Pidesco

I just saw three Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic videos, each showcasing a different PC, namely, the warrior, the mage and the assassin.

I have to admit I was impressed by the fact that each class appears to function very differently. What seems to make the difference is the implementation of physics into the gameplay.

Examples:

- You can, as mage, paralyze a foe and then kick him off a cliff, or you can use ice on the floor to make your opponents slip and fall.

- As usual, an assassin uses stealth to catch an enemy unaware and then, either off him from afar with a bow or backstab him with your knifes, which you dual yield. Also, you can throw one of your knifes for a pretty awesome kill.

-A fighter seems to be just your regular "charge forward and maim" character. It may, however be the first time melee combat is done well in a game with a first person view. The warrior video just seemed fun.

One thing that the videos don't really show is enemy AI. If your foes can do the same things you do, the game could be seriously awesome, but if not then meh.

Finally, I really liked the animations, especially the backstab animation.

Here's hoping the game turns out to be good. :huh:

Check them out for yourself:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/darkmessiahmm/downloads/

Edit: I forgot to say that another thing the game's success depends on is the interface. It has to be very well done for the game to work.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Even with the artifical tunnelvision/lack of peripherival vision inherent in most FPS games, it looked like a nice FPS :)

The playing styles looked sufficiently different too, to be worth trying out. My favourite "kill" in the 3 videos was the mage shrinking his opponenet and the stomping on him. *Squish!*... :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Rope...arrows!!!1111

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You are a thief fan, aren't you Mus?

Heja Sverige!!

You have just made the simplification of the year.

Am I a Thief fan? Hah, I played the Baffords demo on the winter of -98, and have been mesmerised ever since. I remember getting the original Thief on a game collection pack called "Play the Games" a huge pink box with DK2, Tomb Raider 3, Dune 2000, etc. There were 12 games all in all, but I think I spent around twice the amount on Thief 1 than all the other games combined.

I found Thief 2 when it was part of the Sold Out collection back in -03 and haven't stopped playing it ever since. I think my fan mission collection amounted to around 300 once, but I have since deleted most stuff since I never had time to play everything that got released. I download a couple mission every month though.

Thief 3 was a blast too. A simplified and itchy blast, but a blast nonetheless. Shalebrigde Cradle, wankers!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm sorry Mus?, I should've said Thief fanboy. :D

Heja Sverige!!

If the gameplay of the assasin (slow and creepy, that is) comes close to Thief, I'm sold.

I see Ubisoft postponed the release to October, heh? Where also NWN2, Gothic3 and FEAR expansion gets released.... C R A P!

NWN 2, Gothic 3, Dark Messiah and uni. :)

kirottu said:

The PC mag I always get (PC Zone) were ranting and raving about the melee combat, they gave the game a big 6 page spread and spent most of the time talking about the combat.

btw did anyone play Blade of Darkness (Severance)? That game still tops any other in melee.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Blade of Darkness was awesome. So was Rune, that was released around the same time. Rune took back in ambience what it lost in combat mechanics. Severance had a great fighting system and it was damn difficult to master, since the game was so trigger happy when dealing death. I mean, anyone remember that demon boss? Or the troll?

kirottu said:

I've only played the beginning of Rune, but I thought it was pretty awful. I got tired of it when I got to those skeletons that you had to behead if you wanted to kill them.

Heja Sverige!!

Yeah, around 98% get bored there or with the subsequent 2500 skeletons you have to behead in that chapter. Too bad fro them, since the game is way too good to pass by.

kirottu said:

So this is a FP action/combat game set in the M&M universe? I wonder if the shrinking thing is their shrink ray spell. I loved that spell, it was so funny. I imagine it'd be 100x better w/that kind of engine.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Blade of Darkness was awesome. So was Rune, that was released around the same time. Rune took back in ambience what it lost in combat mechanics. Severance had a great fighting system and it was damn difficult to master, since the game was so trigger happy when dealing death. I mean, anyone remember that demon boss? Or the troll?

Yes, BOD was damn fun. I can't believe how good it was, actually. Gruesome as hell, ta boot. :blink:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

http://www.gameslave.co.uk/content/dark-messiah-preview/

This preview is about multiplayer, and talks a bit about the way melee combat is handled. Good stuff.

Heja Sverige!!

No, not all.  Just 8 and 9.

Oddly, I liked 8 and 9, but thought the rest sucked. Funny that. :shifty:

And shush you Negative Nancy you, it looks good.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

DM singleplayer demo coming out on August 8th. Clicky.

But it seems like for fileplanet sucke... I mean subscribers only.

Normally I don't subscribe to web sites that offer faster downloads or extra content but I got an offer from IGN a few months back for 6 months @ $3.95 and normally its like $7 p/mo or something like that, so I signed up for it. Funny thing is, I think my sub runs out at the end of this month but I'll get the M&M demo before it does!

Still, I'm excited about this game on a different level.  I don't consider it an RPG in the same vein.

It's definitely nothing like the previous M&M games other than the game is viewed in first person. I miss the old M&M games! Sadly, FPRPG's are becoming a thing of the past....well, ones that allowed you to create a party and battles were turn based.

If a game is using a name that has been used on past games it should at least be made in the similar vein and style of the original. They are only using the Might and Magic name so they can sell a few more copies they wouldn't have if they made the game to rest on its own name.

Games that are based on another game in name only are not worth playing. That goes for the Baldur's Gate and Fallout console titles. That goes for that Bard's Tale POS that Brian Fargo made. The same will apply to this game and the Fallout Bethesda is making.