Elder scrolls IV

zing'd indeed.

Anyway, Oblivion is playable with FX5500 with the proper tweaks, but evidently you didn't feel it was worth the bother. Not my philosophy, but who am I to harp on about it.

Of course, now Hades needs a new graphics card. :)

I just finished the game, or the main quest at least. :)  I had lags quite a lot, and that was with a FX6600GT card.  It wasn't bad for the most part, although living within a 10m-diameter pool of grass that moved with me was rather distracting for a while.  This card isn't really up to running the game well, though, and I'm thinking of getting something better next month.

I found it better to turn the grass off entirely. It popped up too close for me to appreciate the appearance, and without it I can see the wildlife (boars especially) much better. I've also got a 6600GT (with a 2gig processor and 1gig of RAM), and even on the lowest resolution it lags occasionally, particularly in mass combat.

I never buy those games anyways, if it is not SW I usually don't buy it for PC...A trusted friend said it was good, so I decided to try it. 

You don't have to be a shmuck about it.  Anyone with your style of critique on operating systems and cards must be a lonely person. 

Get out in the sun once and a while, maybe meet a real girl...its good for you.

Oblivion is good if you have a system that can run it. Don't blame me if you are ignorant. Whenever I buy a game I do a little thing called RESEARCH and make sure it can run on my system before wasting the time and money on it.

Also I do go out in the sun on occasion. Overrated if you ask me. I met a real girl about 14 years, went schizo and tried to kill me, then we decided it was best we break up. Haven' met a girl like her sense and doubt that I will. :o

Oh well, enough wit the personal history, my suggesion for next time do the research on a game before you buy unless you get it on a console. Kiddie consoles are child proof in that way here it comes to their games. You can't be lazy when you purchase a PC game. Know your system and know the detailed requirements.

Oh by the way, I am not a schmuck. I'm a bastard. Get it right. :ermm:

Edited by Judge Hades

I found it better to turn the grass off entirely.  It popped up too close for me to appreciate the appearance ...

I also agree that if you're going to turn the grass setting down low, it's better just to turn it off. Those clump of grass popping up everywhere at low setting is really distracting and ugly.

But I like having the grass on, I think it looks cool when I run and crouch around in it :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was testing with my new 7900GTX and HDR really just looks like someone turned up the saturation and contrast on the textures. I think I could emulate it quite well by fiddling with the settings on my screen.

Oblivion3.jpg

the screenshots are scaled down for easier viewing, i play at 1280x1024 as my monitor likes it

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Now strong lightsources will be more difficult to accmplish by fiddling with my screen :ermm:

But as Ive understood it, the purpouse of HDR rendering is to increase and expand the contrast range in a rendered frame/image. Enabling light to be blinding bright while still keeping shadows dark with full details in the same shot.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Go walk around outside with a camcorder and then watch the video. You will see shifting between darkness and brightness. HDR immitates that.

Whats its supposed to immitate is the High Dynamic Range of contrast between light and shadow that the human eye can percieve. Its the opposite of what you describe, HDR is meant to give both blinding light but also make it possible o see the details of objects in shadow next to that light.

Yeah.

It seems kind of odd to take some screenshots of a large, open, and bright area to point out how HDR doesn't make much of a difference.

Instead of the sun being

The function of HDRR is to increase the range of contrast between light and dark, which can be seen in my screenshot. This can be "emulated" by fiddling with the monitor settings.

Your screenshots are an example of a strong source of HDR light with a bloom effect, which is more obvious example of what HDR can do yeah. And nothing I can emulate with my monitor

uhm.. what am I argumenting about now again?

Go walk around outside with a camcorder and then watch the video. You will see shifting between darkness and brightness. HDR immitates that.

Whats its supposed to immitate is the High Dynamic Range of contrast between light and shadow that the human eye can percieve. Its the opposite of what you describe, HDR is meant to give both blinding light but also make it possible o see the details of objects in shadow next to that light.

That's HDR in photoshop.

The difference between a system that has no games and a system that has no exclusive great games is no difference at all.

"Exclusive great games"? I don't think a game needs to be exclusive to make the system worth buying. For example, if a great game comes out on the PS2, the Xbox, and the 360, chances are I'll be happiest playing it on the shiny 360. That makes the system worth it in my eyes. In fact, I think exclusivity is lame.

I know Oblivion looks and runs *** more on my PC than on a 360.

I just bought the game and I am getting terrible lag at every point of the game so far, I can barely create a character without gettin frustrated with the lag. 

How can I correct this?

You could get the low-rez mod from the TES:IV web site...

~DN~

P.S.

PC PWNS X-Box360

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot