I am a profit

Epiphany

To think I was actually going to post a similar topic today when I got home ...

But oddly enough, I was beaten to it, and I don't think I could possibly match what has been said here.

My thoughts on the subject that everyone seems to be ignoring though...

It's very interesting that there are so many issues with Blu-Ray.  Sony did claim it was a superior format across the board, but currently all HD-DVD titles are using 30GB dual-layer discs with VC-1 and have DD+/DTS/DTHD audio while Blu-Ray titles are using 25GB single-layer discs with the older MPEG2 with uncompressed PCM 48kh 16-bit audio.  I think they went a little to far to claim outright superiority in their format.

Also, another interesting tid-bit is the fact that both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs are in 1080p24, and that all the players use Broadcom decoders for reading the disc, and in doing so, they all read the 1080p24 signal as a 1080i60 signal.  The only difference is, the Blu-Ray players de-interlace the signal that was just interlaced, while the Toshiba (HD-DVD) just displays the 1080i60 signal.  It sort of washes the argument of Blu-Ray being superior for 1080p/1080i, since both formats interlace the picture, and Blu-Ray players will de-interlace it for you, while HD-DVD players will require your display device to do the de-interlacing.

On a side note, I'm rather disappointed in a lot of the responses in this thread.  Either the topic creator made a mistake, or he really played you all like a game.  I'm beginning to think that you all were played pretty well, seeing as how pretty much everyone ran off topic, and focused on his thread title, rather than the content itself.  If you're incapable of discussing it, why even bother posting in the thread?

If you want a serious reply, then here's mine: Why on everything that's holy, is Sony recording their Blu-ray discs with ancient MPEG-2 compression when they was one of many that funded the development of the MPEG-4 codec + they recently licensed the even better h.264 codec for video.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If you want a serious reply, then here's mine: Why on everything that's holy, is Sony recording their Blu-ray discs with ancient MPEG-2 compression when they was one of many that funded the development of the MPEG-4 codec + they recently licensed the even better h.264 codec for video.

The even more puzzling question is, why aren't Blu-Ray movies using the supposed mandatory VC-1 codec? Even though it may not be entirely Sony's fault, you can't help but lose more faith in them everytime they make a claim and then go back on their word...

With Blu-Ray players being released to select stores for demonstration purposes, it has now come to light that they are, in fact, inferior to HD-DVD in their current form.  They currently have a smaller capacity (25GB for BD to 30GB on HD-DVD), and the current speculation is they're having a hard time getting BD in dual layer format.  Sony straight up stated that Blu-Ray was the better format, period.  It's not, PERIOD.

The key word is current. Blu-ray can get better in the future, so saying it's not the better format remains to be seen. Either way, I don't care too much for Microsoft or Sony. Microsoft screwed up bigtime with it's lack of 360 titles and crap BC, and sony is overhyping the PS3 WAY too much.

The only profit I am aware of is this.

The positive gain from an investment or business operation after subtracting for all expenses. opposite of loss.

Source

I'm just glad one person actually called him out on the title.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

More like profarchy!

Haw, haw, haw.

I'm so topical.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Truly.

Smashing job old bean.

Pip pip cheerio.

AND ALL THAT LOT