Want a new CRPG.

tarna

Wasn't PS:T merely (1) Discover you can't die, and have amnesia.  (2) Learn about your past (3) confront your past?

Fallout 1 was merely (1) Your home people are in danger (2) save your home people (3) Go one step further and save teh whole world by killing teh evil mutants.

Fallout 2 was (1) Your home people are in danger (2) save your home people (3) Find out your home people were kidnapped, so go one step further and save teh whole world by killing teh evil Enclave.

Baldur's Gate (1) Mentor dies...you are sad (2) Realize that people insist on trying to kill you (3) Find out source of those sending people to kill you (4) Kill that person

Baldur's Gate 2: (1) Childhood friend gets kidnapped...you are sad  (2) Realize that people insist on trying to kill you.  (3) Find the source of that which tries to kill you  (4) Kill that person.

This is kind of fun actually :(

If you leave out the sub-plots in them, then pretty much.

In Planescape: Torment, those may have been the fundamentals, but through the course of the narrative you discover how the actions through your previous incarnations have effected the people you run into, and learn their stories. There was also complexity in the plot itself, considering the freedom you have to form your own protagonist. There are also plenty of other happenings in the gameworld with their own bits of history.

Same can basically be applied to the two Fallout games and the Baldur's gate series. They all have fairly simple overall plots, but most of the story elements unravel through non-plot specific points in the game.

As for Diablo, that wasn't really the case. You had the overall mission to kill the demons to go on for story and a few shallow sidequest tales.

I like most game genres really, so my loathing of Diabloish games isn't just about CRPGs, but it's representative of the rendundancy in video games all together.  Frankly, I do like the hobby, but if that's what the future holds; if that's all people really want, I'm done with them. 

Totally irrelevant, but that's is pretty much how I feel about the movie/TV industry.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hah...Diablos has generic characters?! I wanna taste mushrooms you gouge on.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Diablo had a story?  :lol:

Could have surprised me.  It was just one zerg fested dungeon after another with phat loot.  Boring.

If you don't think Diablo had a story, then you clearly weren't paying any attention.

You can argue all you want about whether or not the story is any good. But implying that it didn't have a story is just false.

Tetris and Pong had stories? :lol:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"If you don't think Diablo had a story, then you clearly weren't paying any attention.

You can argue all you want about whether or not the story is any good. But implying that it didn't have a story is just false."

It ha snothing to do with 'paying attention'. That's just your holier than thou attitude spekaing. The bottom line is that Diablo's story did not matter so, in essence, the story didn't exist at all.

No one plays Diablo for the story. No one.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"If you don't think Diablo had a story, then you clearly weren't paying any attention.

You can argue all you want about whether or not the story is any good. But implying that it didn't have a story is just false."

It ha snothing to do with 'paying attention'. That's just your holier than thou attitude spekaing. The bottom line is that Diablo's story did not matter so, in essence, the story didn't exist at all.

I did :lol:

But you did.

GAME OVER!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Tetris and Pong had stories?  :shifty:

Yes

Well, what were they? I'm actually interested.

It was superficial and irrelevant to the game so as far I am concerned it had no story.

I didn't think it was superficial and irrelevant. In fact, it really isn't. It's there for the sake of advancing the game, true, yet the primary purpose of the story in any RPG is to do just that.

Yes I did.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast