2006 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

It started. I can't wait for the US to get their asses handed to them by the Czech. It'll be revenge by proxy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

5 mins in 1-0 to the Czechs.

:(

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

That's what I'm talking about! (w00t)

Heja Sverige!!

Nothing wrong with losing to these dudes, Czech Republic has a good team.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Doesn't look like US could beat Italy with this performance either, which would doom them. Still, even this game could become a draw.

Are all the tall US athletes playing basketball?

...or football americana...or baseball.....or hockey...or generally doing anything but soccer/football.

Nothing wrong with losing to these dudes, Czech Republic has a good team.

eh, I know and football/soccer isn't exactly a sport I particularly care a ton about, still, I'm watching a whole football game. That says something I suppose.

....o, and the prediction in my sig technically can still happen :("

Doesn't look like soccer is very big in the US. Their team is pretty mediocre..

:("

In past world cups, it's always seemed that the US had a surprisingly good team, despite it not being a huge sport in the way that baseball, ice hockey or basketball are.

If I were in the UK now, I would no doubt be watching interminable news stories from the US claiming that no-one knows the 'Soccer' World Cup is happening, and no-one cares. I suppose there are plenty of people who do follow the US team, right?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I suppose there are plenty of people who do follow the US team, right?

It's a growing sport, sure, but it's still a 2nd tier one at best in the states.

It's kind of that olympic sport no one cares anything about unless someone in it is playing for the gold and then it would get attention. Which, as you might guess, would put the sport in a catch-22. Hard to get better when your essentially getting B level athletes.

EDIT: case in point, the US is playing a world cup match and the top sports story of the day is easily that a Quarterback got hurt in a motorcycle accident....in the off season

Edited by kumquatq3

Soccer (or football) is getting more popular in the US every year. It's still a smaller sport than the sports already mentioned but MLS is already in it's 10th year or something. They tried before with a US soccer league in the 70's or 80

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Got to love Europe though! Apparently the singer (Toni Braxton) who performed at the opening ceremony showed her nipple, you know.. like Janet Jackson in the Superbowl? The difference is that here everyone's going "WOOHOO!! Good show!! :D" instead of "THE WORLD IS DOOMED! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, A NIPPLE HAS BEEN SHOWN! POTENTIALLY TO KIDS!!".

Oh, and I've been hoping the US would bring a good team to the world championships of the world's largest sport. But that was a really disappointing performance by the americanos. I know the Czech's are good, but football is a sport that's perfect for people with great self esteem, something which the US players have been great at showing in recent world cups. They showed nothing of the sort in this game. I'm hoping they will rebound against an even better team, get past their group and fight for the medals. Maybe that would spark the interest for football in the US? It would be great for the sport as a whole. And the americans wouldn't have to invent any more sports that only they play and subsequently call their national league the "world championships" :lol:)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And the americans wouldn't have to invent any more sports that only they play and subsequently call their national league the "world championships"

Hey, nobody said Sweden couldn't field a American Football team. As is, we consider your lack of preticipation a forfeit.

I REALLY REALLY hope that MLS starts calling their championship a "world series" :lol:

PS

Lance Armstrong is retired nowadays. Wonder if he plays soccer.....

Look at my sig, man. :high5 smilie:

Heja Sverige!!

Maybe that would spark the interest for football in the US?

believe it or not, soccer is the most popular sport in the US among children. unfortunately, it has never translated well to a spectator sport for adults. it's just not fast enough for the average joe watching the tube. of course, hockey is tooo fast for the average joe watching the tube... go figure.

taks

comrade taks... just because.