BREAKING NEWS: JADE EMPIRE FOR PC

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/jadeempire/...tml?sid=6150729

"The Xbox game is being ported to the PC by LTI Gray Matter, a development house that has handled several console ports for Activision."

Neato. BIO isn't doing the port of the game. This keeps the JE team free to do work on JE2!!! Heheh!

Interesting development though. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/jadeempire/...tml?sid=6150729

This keeps the JE team free to do work on JE2!!! Heheh!

Yeah, like they need an ENTIRE FULL PRODUCTON TEAM working on a port. :huh:

It's actually very common that specialized companies port the engine, whereas a handful people from Bio do the customization and testing stuff.

This just strengthens my theory that they just may release JE2 on PC and console at release, as long as they don't choose MS as publisher again (but why should they do now anyway?).

Why shouldn't they? Having Microsoft as a publisher is probably a great deal, especially for those who sign exclusivity contracts.

Besides, there's probably a contract in place that gives Microsoft the right to publish a sequel.

Why shouldn't they? Having Microsoft as a publisher is probably a great deal, especially for those who sign exclusivity contracts.

Bioware's now sitting on a 300 million$$$ heavy investment, why should they do some silly exclusive deals anyway? They also bring out the PC version without MS, so they just could release JE2 on all platforms Bio wants with any publisher that doesn't rule out a PC version...

Jade's deal as well as MEs deal was done before Bio/Pandemic merged, but now that they're financially secure like a rock, they theoretically don't need to do silly exclusive deals anymore.

Why should they try to make more money? If going exclusive secures the highest profits (not to mention publicity snice exclusive titles are heavily marketed) then why should they take another route? Just because they now has a lot of cash it doesn't mean that they will start caring less about how much money they make. The $300 millions invested need to be repaid somehow.

As for the JE PC version, my guess is that the exclucivity contract expired and Microsoft weren't interested in porting it. I will be very surprised if JE2 isn't an X-box exclusive.

Another thing about exclusivity. There are plenty of examples of developers that don't need the financial security that exclusivity brings, but choses to go that route anyway. I'm sure Square could afford to release Final Fantasy on other platforms than the Playstation, and I'm pretty sure Rockstar is in a similar situation with the GTA series.

Well, if they mix with MS they could make it X-Box 360 AND Vista exclusive...

Additional profit for them... and still the MS-exclusivity...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Awww, I was hoping they'd announce Vista's ability to play 360 games. It'd have made Vista more attractive for PC-only gamers, and been more financially sound, since the games themselves are where the profits come from.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Well, if they mix with MS they could make it X-Box 360 AND Vista exclusive...

Additional profit for them... and still the MS-exclusivity...

Yeah, if that is what Microsoft wanted. But it's not. They want to brand the X-box so they can gain on Sony in the console market. They've already got complete dominance when it comes to PC gaming, so they hardly need that. True, they ARE trying to force everyone to get Vista, so they could use JE2 for that, although I still think that series are ill-suited for the computer. Once the port is done we'll see how the controls work, then further speculation may be warranted.

Edit: quote added

Edited by Spider

The thing, I probably *would* have gotten Vista if that functionality was available, since I'm planning to upgrade sometime soon, so might as well change OS. Now I could care less.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Sorry Llyranor, your post appeared while I was posting. Mine was directed to HH (so I added the quote now). Although I guess it actually would apply to you as well.

The key in it all is branding. They (Microsoft) want to take control over the livingroom and the X-box is a huge part in that strategy. Exactly what their plans for Vista are I'm not sure, but they are trying to force gamers to switch (which makes sense since they are the ones with computers that can take advantage of it).

Having X-box games playable on the PC probably isn't seen as a feasible solution though, since that'll bring with it exactly the kinds of QA problems consoles wants to avoid. Stuff like incompatible hardware etc.

Actually, Jade Empire is a piece o' crap, and wasn't worthy of any system.  How a 15 hour game, without missing any sidequests can be rated above 7.0, I'll never know.

Bullcrap - that's talking our of your ass.

JE offers a greater roleplaying experience than virtually every RPG, and is definitely on par with FO. Also, it would be more accurate to state that it's playing time is double then what you have quoted.

But I guess you're either not interested in accurate details, or you just don't know what a quality RPG is. :blink:"

--

Also: For those who intend to buy the PC version, get one of these for your USB ports. That way you can play it way it was meant to be played.

539_3_medium.jpg

XBOX JE was one of the best games I've seen that utilized every button on the gamepad superbly and intuitively. Admittedly, the new 360 start & back buttons are positioned centrally, and the black and white buttons have been moved to the front shoulder mounts, but it shouldn't be and obtrusive problem. :blink:

A pity they don't sell the wireless variation of the 360 controller for the PC.

manthing2.jpg