More stupidity abounds!

As I said on the Elderscroll forums:

"...it still requires a mod to access the files. That is the bottomline here. A MOD is required to access the nudity. Listen to what I am saying... A MOD is required to access the nudity mesh that Bethesda left in the game. The game, UNMODDED, gives the player no access tot he file. The game needs to be MODDED to allow access."

The game is modified by a third person therefore a mod, regardless the files being left in or not.

I don't particularly agree that unused content should be left in the game code for a couple of reasons, but what's exactly being subject to ratings? The final game build as is, or the final game code as is? If the point is to rate videogames based on the game that is played out of the box, then hidden or unused content which, under normal circumstances, never surfaces in the game shouldn't come under scrutiny.

As I said on the Elderscroll forums:

"...it still requires a mod to access the files. That is the bottomline here. A MOD is required to access the nudity. Listen to what I am saying... A MOD is required to access the nudity mesh that Bethesda left in the game. The game, UNMODDED, gives the player no access tot he file. The game needs to be MODDED to allow access."

The game is modified by a third person therefore a mod, regardless the files being left in or not.

I wouldnt even call that a mod it would be an insult to mods.

Developers should be responsible for anything left on the disk. Regardless if it needs to switched on. To do otherwise leaves the backdoor open to include content which was not rated.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Unless someone is incredibly clueless they are aware that anything left in the game files like hot coffee or topless skins will be found.

Either they are A lazy or B want them to be found so as to get around the ratings. Neither is acceptable.

True on the first count, but the second doesn't fly.

A. It most likely wasn't meant to be seen and served a purpose during development...more important things come before removing locked files.

B. Um, no. Beth isn't exactly that type of developer. And, if the first thing you said is so obvious, then why would they be stupid enough to purposefully do this?

And Hades/Role-Player FTW. It does not matter if the content is there, it matters how that content is accessed. In this case, a third party distributed the means for accessing these locked files...with a Mod, and therefore, responsibility is transfered from the developer, to said third party.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

If the point is to rate videogames based on the game that is played out of the box, then hidden or unused content which, under normal circumstances, never surfaces in the game shouldn't come under scrutiny.

Ok lets say I have a 15 rated game. But I leave a code in which allows you to unlock a mini game where you shoot a child and splatter it's brains over the wall.

Thats ok because it's not part of the game ?

As I've said from the start it's not the nudity I just don't like the questionable files being accidently left on the disk for people to access.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

A code is not a third-party program/file.

Nope. The code/file is Bethesda's, yes, but allowing the mainstream gamer base to use said code through a modification is an act of a third party.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I disagree, SP.  Anyrhing that requires a third party modification to give access its a mod and shouldn't be in the final eqution for the rating.

Easy enough. Anything that could raise the rating should not be on the disk.

I'm sure the ratings board will consider something along those lines too.

478327[/snapback]

Hm. Oblivion was already pushing it with the content already in the game. Disfigured and mutilated corpses, decomposed heads, people talking about murdering children, zombies with their brains hanging out, blood, etc. I don't know why they didn't just give it a M rating in the first place. :)

Edited by Jast

Modders if they work hard enough, can do anything to a game's files. Baldur's Gate was an unmoddable game when it was released, but some hard working intelligent fans made tools you they could get at the game's file and manipulate them. If someone wanted to they could make "hot coffee" for that game. All it would take is for someone to modify the creature files/animations for nudity and sexual acts. Does that make Bioware/BIS responsible for this? Now Baldur's Gate gets a M rating? No.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Well, I'd think that the fact that the individal gamer has to download the mod in order to get the damned thing working, unless they know how to unlock the files themselves and even then, makes the point sort of moot.

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Easy enough. Anything that could raise the rating should not be on the disk.

I'm sure the ratings board will consider something along those lines too.

Just because it is on disk does not mean that it is accessable to the player in normal course of gameplay. Only normal course of unmodded gameplay should be considered for the rating.

Modders if they work hard enough, can do anything to a game's files. Baldur's Gate was an unmoddable game when it was released, but some hard working intelligent fans made tools you they could get at the game's file and manipulate them. If someone wanted to they could make "hot coffee" for that game. All it would take is for someone to modify the creature files/animations for nudity and sexual acts. Does that make Bioware/BIS responsible for this? Now Baldur's Gate gets a M rating? No.

There is a difference between making something that didnt exist and just unlocking something that did.

The ratings board appears to understand this as they havnt rerated games based on actual creations (what I call mods) but rather only on content which was already present.

478327[/snapback]

Meh, who cares about ratings, M-rated games are cool :cool:

That they are. Full of violence, blood and sometimes sex.

Ahh...the American dream. Violent and bloody sex. :wub:

...wait... :)

- Everlast

Just because it is on disk does not mean that it is accessable to the player in normal course of gameplay.  Only normal course of unmodded gameplay should be considered for the rating.

Then why leave it on the disk ? You way leaves a HUGE loophole for getting around ratings.

Bethesda is more likely to chalk up to an oversight. Hot Coffee, not so.

478327[/snapback]

Umm that's rape.

...or just a strangely kinky evening. :ermm:

Odd that you'd jump directly to rape. :ph34r:

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast