Will you order a Wii ?

Will you order a Wii ?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Will you order a Wii ?

• 1.Yes
    • 2.No
    • 3.Maybe

not the hardware, which Nintendo seems to get pretty distracted by.

Excuse me? Are you saying PS3 and 360 are NOT distracted by hardware? That's the only thing they talk about with those systems. They never mention the new and innovative way you'll be able to play games. Only that they have X speed processor or new cell technology or blue ray or whatever. None of that has anything to do with the actual games.

Nope, I didn't mention them as I guess I haven't been following either of 'em that much. Still, I was speaking more of how you interface with games and the necessity of change in that area, not their technical performance. Nintendo makes more...unique and potentially interesting games than anything Sony or Microsoft have ever crapped out. They should put all their focus on that, and try extending the appealof their games to different age ranges, rather than getting caught up in trying to push out new hardware gimmicks.

What's been keeping me from really having a completely positive outlook on them for the last several years at least, is the fact they fall into this habit of marketing their products as cute toys rather than digital entertainment. Naming their new console a "Wii" is just a step back into that old habit that's limited their success with broader audiences in the past.

What's been keeping me from really having a completely positive outlook on them for the last several years at least, is the fact they fall into this habit of marketing their products as cute toys rather than digital entertainment.  Naming their new console a "Wii" is just a step back into that old habit that's limited their success with broader audiences in the past.

Could happen. Although the DS has unique hardware and it's had a very broad range of games and big support from third parties.

Wii is a designer name like ipod. Most people are already over it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't know what Wii smoking there, but I'd like to try some of that.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Nope, I didn't mention them as I guess I haven't been following either of 'em that much.  Still, I was speaking more of how you interface with games and the necessity of change in that area, not their technical performance.  Nintendo makes more...unique and potentially interesting games than anything Sony or Microsoft have ever crapped out. 

Didn't Nintendo introduce the two button controller with D-pad? And the analogue stick? Now everybody has buttons and analogue sticks. Nintendo realizes (hopefully correctly) that in order to give innovated and different playing experiences, you have to change the way the game is played...or how the user interfaces with the device. Will they pull a Virtual Boy with this? I doubt it as they have a lot more money and interest invested in the Wii. It MUST work.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Didn't Nintendo introduce the two button controller with D-pad? And the analogue stick?

And the shoulder buttons. And the vibration function.

Well, there you go.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Now you can't accurately assess that. You being over it != most people being over it. I doubt most people even know of the new name yet. Ipod manages to sound like a fancy gadget, Wii sounds like a touchy feely high school art project.

Didn't Nintendo introduce the two button controller with D-pad? And the analogue stick? Now everybody has buttons and analogue sticks. Nintendo realizes (hopefully correctly) that in order to give innovated and different playing experiences, you have to change the way the game is played...or how the user interfaces with the device. Will they pull a Virtual Boy with this? I doubt it as they have a lot more money and interest invested in the Wii. It MUST work.

I'm not sure they actually invented the two-button controller and directional pad, nor the analogue stick as a device for playing games, but popularized it for home consoles for sure. Anyway, I see your point, but I still stand by what I said. The importance of quality and inventiveness in games still overrides gimmicky new ways to interface with them IMO.

I'm still waiting for someone to get rid of the traditional right analogue stick for modern controllers and put a a touch pad similar to what you find on laptops on there. It would bring the precision a little closer to what you get with a traditional mouse.

Now you can't accurately assess that. You being over it != most people being over it. I doubt most people even know of the new name yet. Ipod manages to sound like a fancy gadget, Wii sounds like a touchy feely high school art project.

I'm not sure they actually invented the two-button controller and directional pad, nor the analogue stick as a device for playing games, but popularized it for home consoles for sure. Anyway, I see your point, but I still stand by what I said. The importance of quality and inventiveness in games still overrides gimmicky new ways to interface with them IMO.

I'm still waiting for someone to get rid of the traditional right analogue stick for modern controllers and put a a touch pad similar to what you find on laptops on there. It would bring the precision a little closer to what you get with a traditional mouse.

Oh ye gods no. Touchpads suck, no tactile feedback, a nubbin would be better, or better still a trackball.

Nintendo first invented the D-pad on the Game and Watch series game watches. They implemented it on the NES after noticing what a pain the old controllers were on your hands, and wanting to have the functionality of a joystick without the wrist cramps and lack of other controls. They did in fact invent the analog stick, and leading up to the N64's launch it was such a secret that people playing with it were required to use the controller while it was inside a cardboard box! (w00t)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Now you can't accurately assess that.  You being over it != most people being over it.  I doubt most people even know of the new name yet.  Ipod manages to sound like a fancy gadget, Wii sounds like a touchy feely high school art project.

Add a letter to ipod (in the same way you add one to Wii to get the other spelling).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nintendo first invented the D-pad on the Game and Watch series game watches.  They implemented it on the NES after noticing what a pain the old controllers were on your hands, and wanting to have the functionality of a joystick without the wrist cramps and lack of other controls.  They did in fact invent the analog stick, and leading up to the N64's launch it was such a secret that people playing with it were required to use the controller while it was inside a cardboard box!  (w00t)

I think Nintendo have realised that the old design has reached it limit. It puts people off gaming (which is why nothing has sold close to the sort of mario numbers on the NES). It also hasnt changed since the PS pad was updated.

I don't normally play sports games. I find them a bit pointless, the controls are totally abstract but I read the preview of Madden on the Wii and I wanted to play it.

478327[/snapback]

Add a letter to ipod (in the same way you add one to Wii to get the other spelling).

But...that's not what it's called or how it's pronounced. The name is foolish. People will most likely stop with the puns about it sure, there can only be so many bad puns before they lose their luster. The name will still always be a ridiculous beacon of cute, over-sincerity gone awry though.

That doesn't mean the system still won't be great. Didn't you make like two threads poking fun at the name btw?

Nintendo first invented the D-pad on the Game and Watch series game watches. They implemented it on the NES after noticing what a pain the old controllers were on your hands, and wanting to have the functionality of a joystick without the wrist cramps and lack of other controls. They did in fact invent the analog stick, and leading up to the N64's launch it was such a secret that people playing with it were required to use the controller while it was inside a cardboard box!

Well, I was thinking of the old Intellivision pads which I think may have come first, but wouldn't swear to it. I've bought and followed every Nintendo system since the NES was released and didn't realize they were the first to use the analog stick for games. That is pretty cool then.

That doesn't mean the system still won't be great.  Didn't you make like two threads poking fun at the name btw?

No ,but I did add to one. :blink:

I heard an analyst predict that Wii would flood Japan and didnt even grin so I can safely say I'm over it. By the time the machine is released, anyone still giggling has issues. It even made a spot on the BBC so it's definately gone beyond the internet.

478327[/snapback]

I heard an analyst predict that Wii would flood Japan and didnt even grin so I can safely say I'm over it. By the time the machine is released, anyone still giggling has issues. It even made a spot on the BBC so it's definately gone beyond the internet.

There was also a video on CNN.com about it. They managed to get through the segment without making any really bad puns. :ermm:

Didn't Nintendo introduce the two button controller with D-pad? And the analogue stick?

And the shoulder buttons. And the vibration function.

(vibration)I thought that was Sony. Also the analouge stick on the N64 sucked, did anyone play Mario 64 here? The camera also sucked.

But...that's not what it's called or how it's pronounced. The name is foolish. People will most likely stop with the puns about it sure, there can only be so many bad puns before they lose their luster. The name will still always be a ridiculous beacon of cute, over-sincerity gone awry though.

That doesn't mean the system still won't be great. Didn't you make like two threads poking fun at the name btw?

Isn't that what they said about the Chuck Norris and the your mom jokes?

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Well there are rumours that the Wii is already being prepared for shipping and Nintendo are just waiting for SONY to declare a release date so they can release a couple of months ahead.

Wii price

478327[/snapback]