D&D crpg levels

Gromnir

Regarding the Gargantuan dragon, I don't know.  It could be a cameo, or there could be a "trick" to lower its CR.

wow, i thought you were past AWOL into complete desertion around here...

there will always be a 'trick', sort of like the eyeless one in BG2, maybe?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I think that level 1 to level 10 or 11 in an 80 hour game would be a pretty good rate, so that would be about one level every 8 hours per character. Having multiple characters is nice because it gives you more opportunities to see how the game mechanics work without pushing a single character from nobody to god in a short time. Even when there's only a single character, I'd still like about 10 D&D levels in an 80 hour game though.

Also, I should note that I generally play at a pretty slow and relaxed pace (as a player anyway; my characters tend to avoid resting and long distance travel whenever possible if there's even a hint of urgency in the storyline), so an 80 hour game for me is probably more like 40 to 50 hours for an average person or 25 to 35 hours for a quick player.

For a shorter game I'd like to have the level range scaled down proportionally, but if it's only going to be about 5 level-ups, I'd rather have it start at 2 or 3 instead of 1. So 2-7 or 3-8 would be good level ranges for a 40 hour game (probably a 20 to 25 hour game for the average player). For a game that short it would seem very out of place to me if the character's power level changed too drastically, so 3-8 seems to represents a significant but not absurd growth rate to me for a relatively short game. Also, it leaves room for expansions and/or sequels without going into the very high and epic levels (which I think are not handled very well by the D&D system), so that's another benefit.

-Kasoroth

Edited by Kasoroth

He has a point... In D&D level 20 is something of a God. 

20 levels in Oblivion is in no way the same thing (not even close).

That would depend if the rest of the world leveled with you or not.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Without any MODs (I'm not aware of any MOD that sets levels for monsters) that is the case.

If Oblivion didnt scale you would feel godlike (probably at level 4 like in Morrowind).

NwN had scaling of sorts NwN II probably does as well.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think CRPGs levelling up faster is a necessity, just because the possibilities of what you can do with your character are much more limited (naturally) compared to pnp. Do you really want to be stuck on the same level for +5 hours in a CRPG, even putting aside the idea of progress? Nope. It is a smaller game and it is a more restricted experience, so you have to level up faster to compensate - at least, in the current model of Bio/BIS D&D CRPGs. I would prefer it to be slower than, say, BG2 / NWN though. KOTOR was *way* too fast.

I think CRPGs levelling up faster is a necessity, just because the possibilities of what you can do with your character are much more limited (naturally) compared to pnp. Do you really want to be stuck on the same level for +5 hours in a CRPG, even putting aside the idea of progress? Nope. It is a smaller game and it is a more restricted experience, so you have to level up faster to compensate - at least, in the current model of Bio/BIS D&D CRPGs. I would prefer it to be slower than, say, BG2 / NWN though. KOTOR was *way* too fast.

I always find the best games are the ones where your not waiting to level. Sometimes thats inevitable, like before your due to get a really good power at a certain level. But if all you are doing is counting levels, there definately something wrong.

478327[/snapback]

Without any MODs (I'm not aware of any MOD that sets levels for monsters) that is the case.

If Oblivion didnt scale you would feel godlike (probably at level 4 like in Morrowind).

Well, that's on the developers end. It's a lot easier to balance things out by scaling everything, rather then setting monster levels, skills, equipment, etc.

... and, if you are high enough level... You should feel godlike.

Also, being level 4 in a D&D game wouldn't make you godlike either... So the two games levels aren't very similar afterall like you originaly iinferred.

I do feel godlike in Oblivion after level 20, actually. At least, there's nothing to look forward to in terms of character development.

In a CRPG? I could live with 1 hour a level for DnD.

In a PnP game, leveling is a hell of a lot slower, but that's because there's more emphasis on role-playing. In a CRPG, where role-playing amounts to reading and responding to dialogue, players spend a lot more time fighting. There's less talk and more action in just about every CRPG than in a normal PnP setting.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

(as a player anyway; my characters tend to avoid resting and long distance travel whenever possible if there's even a hint of urgency in the storyline)

I play the same way. It's probably one of the reasons I'm not especially worried over the length of the game. My game will last longer on one hand. On the other hand, I'm one of those folks who plays multiple times as well. For me, bringing a little imagination to the table means letting your imagination impact your in-game decisions.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The desire for rapid leveling in a computer version of D&D led to the monstrously imbalanced and utterly ridiculous Action Point Enhancements of DDO. One hour per level is far, far too rapid.

I stand by my earlier statement: 10-12 is as high as a 20 hour game should let you get.