D&D crpg levels

Gromnir

My level 99 Cloud could wipe out your puny lvl 17 wizard!

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND!!!

One day I may actually get to level 99 in an FF game. It's not that likely though given the ammount of times I've played them.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

WOuldn't finishing NWN at level 10-12 actually cut you out of pretty much every NPC sidequest in the game?

My recall might be a bit rusty; I haven't played HotU and the vault for over a year (heck, I haven't played the original for about three years). (I was actually trying to recall the details from this mod.)

How do you get 1500 vitality points ?

Can't remember if it was my Guardian or Sentinel, but the PC had way more than 1000 vitality (and, consequently, so did Darth Traya).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

WOuldn't finishing NWN at level 10-12 actually cut you out of pretty much every NPC sidequest in the game?

My recall might be a bit rusty; I haven't played HotU and the vault for over a year (heck, I haven't played the original for about three years). (I was actually trying to recall the details from this mod.)

How do you get 1500 vitality points ?

Can't remember if it was my Guardian or Sentinel, but the PC had way more than 1000 vitality (and, consequently, so did Darth Traya).

If you had a very high constitution you would have a lot of vitality.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"What is level 16 in Fallout compared to level 6-8 in D&D though?

When dealing with already arbitrary numbers, it doesn't make much sense to compare them with the arbitrary numbers of a different ruleset."

Well.. considering hat level 16 was/is upper high end for both rulesets and that I think its' fair to equalize them.

I was unaware there was an upper bound on Fallout's ruleset.

I don't think it's fair to equalize them because they don't necessarily represent the same thing.

The point is you level up rather quick in FO compared to BG1.

But you required much less experience (and time) to do so.

Edited by alanschu

The D&D game I've had the most fun with is Pool of Radiance. The level cap was something like level 8 for fighters, level 10 for rogues (thieves?) and level 6 for mages. No idea what level my clerics could get to.

Seeing as that was a very long game (mostly because I kept drawing maps on paper) I'd say 1 level every 5-8'th hour. Or something like that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

3 levels in a half hour is too fast. When I played NWN for the first time I was level 20 before the end of Chapter 3, so that is 20 levels in 35 hours which is way too fast. Too much power in too short of time equals one badly designed game.

One of the things I like about Oblivion. When I hit the 20 hour mark I was only a 4th level character. 1 level for every 5 hours is just perfect. Too bad I had to use a mod to get it.

3 levels in a half hour is too fast.  When I played NWN for the first time I was level 20 before the end of Chapter 3, so that is 20 levels in 35 hours which is way too fast.  Too much power in too short of time equals one badly designed game.

One of the things I like about Oblivion.  When I hit the 20 hour mark I was only a 4th level character.  1 level for every 5 hours is just perfect.  Too bad I had to use a mod to get it.

Sounds good enough for me.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

3 levels in a half hour is too fast.  When I played NWN for the first time I was level 20 before the end of Chapter 3, so that is 20 levels in 35 hours which is way too fast.  Too much power in too short of time equals one badly designed game.

One of the things I like about Oblivion.  When I hit the 20 hour mark I was only a 4th level character.  1 level for every 5 hours is just perfect.  Too bad I had to use a mod to get it.

Then that's likely because you either didn't bother levelling up your primary stats, or you weren't bothering to level up either.

But hey, it's great that you can beat Oblivion as a level 4 character too!

You can't compare levels from different rulesets. You'd think a stickler for the rules like you would actually recognize that.

Um... I leveled each time I got the level indicator. And I increased my stats based on what I am doing, mostly Intelligence and Will due to the fact he is a wizard type. Also I haven't beaten the game either.

A CRPG is a CRPG, Alanschu. The leveling process is different from rules system to rules system, but it is the same concept.

One of the things I like about Oblivion. When I hit the 20 hour mark I was only a 4th level character. 1 level for every 5 hours is just perfect. Too bad I had to use a mod to get it.

Just curious about this... You've said before that leveling too fast is extremely unrealistic in a D&D game.

But what does it matter how fast you level in non-D&D games, especially in a game like Oblivion were levels do absolutely nothing.

Um...  I leveled each time I got the level indicator.  And I increased my stats based on what I am doing, mostly Intelligence and Will due to the fact he is a wizard type.  Also I haven't beaten the game either.

A CRPG is a CRPG, Alanschu.  The leveling process is different from rules system to rules system, but it is the same concept.

Levels are inherently abstract. Especially when your level is a very poor indicator of your power in Oblivion.

The concept of levelling up may be similar, but it doesn't mean that a level 4 Oblivion character is in any way similar to a level 4 D&D character.

"Fallout as examples of a satisfying level rate."

Eh? I reached level 16 (I think that was the max) in about 20 or so hours. Not exactly a good rate of levelling.... espicially if you are going to compare it to BG which was 6-8 levels in 50+ hours (minimum)...

True, but character growth in Fallout tends to be more satisfying to me because 16 levels is not all that much in terms of power; while it provides with enough improvement to have an experienced character which can survive various challenges he/she is still a considerable newbie (which just went hand in hand with the setting and story nicely).

I'm not sure there is a max level cap in Fallout; but average playtime combined with playing through the main story arc will likely end somewhere around there.

"Torment also seemed to have a good rate in the early levels."

Hmm.. I dunno about that. PST's levelling rate was on the fast end....

Actually that should have read "stages" rather than "levels". My bad. You're right, Torment's levels were faster to acquire early on but not as much after level 10-12. I was thinking about the early stages where character growth becomes slower, basically between the Drowned Nations and Curst. That segment seems to be the most balanced to me.