Who is the best KotOR character?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best KotOR character?

• Revan
    • The Exile
    • Both are equally awesome.
    • Both suck.
    • I can't decide.

I think the Exile. You can go beyond the levels Revan can, and become twice as better at force powers/lightsaber duels. Revans Okay, but I like how the Exile was more your character, instead of a great hero. The Exile was just a normal knight/padawan, whereas Revan was a celebrity. Its hard to explain.

I like both in an equall maner, but, as Jedi Brute said, the Exile feels more like your own person.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

I like both in an equall maner, but, as Jedi Brute said, the Exile feels more like your own person.

Agreed.

Because while I like the strong plot of K2, the Exile has to be about the worst told PC ever. You're constantly wondering about his backstory, but you're never told and has to learn it as his companions learn it, which is fairly poor storytelling for the character I'm supposed to identify with. It's next to impossible to identify with the Exile when you don't know what he experienced on Malachor, don't know why he chose Exile, don't know his association with Bao-Dur when he suddenly turns up, etc. etc. etc...

So I have to choose Revan.

I think the Exile. You can go beyond the levels Revan can, and become twice as better at force powers/lightsaber duels. Revans Okay, but I like how the Exile was more your character, instead of a great hero. The Exile was just a normal knight/padawan, whereas Revan was a celebrity. Its hard to explain.

I argee with everything you said.

The Exile. Let's just put it this way:

I started out playing Shayla Varn in K1 and ended playing Revan, ex Dark Lord of the Sith.

I started out playing Isan Ilar in K2 and ended playing Isan Ilar. She stayed my character.

:-

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

The Exile. Let's just put it this way:

I started out playing Shayla Varn in K1 and ended playing Revan, ex Dark Lord of the Sith.

I started out playing Isan Ilar in K2 and ended playing Isan Ilar. She stayed my character.

:p

I wish I'd felt that way.

You're right about Revan. He began being your character and ended up being Revan.

The Exile, however, didn't begin as my character and never became it for the reason I stated previously :rolleyes:

K2 has great plot, but the characterization of the Exile as far as making me identify with him is just awful.

i like the exile because like youve said earlier he can go and be more powerful than revan can :D

no not necisarrily, no one knows what revan is capable of, and no one has seen what he is capable of, we can only imagine and that also goes for the exile

i prefer revan because he was someone to admire, he was a steriotypical hero, hes a rebel defies the will of the jedi council and goes and saves the galaxy he was a general, powerful, everyone loved him and there was mystery to what, who was under that mask and those garmets. he faught valiently and hes the savior of the republic, and then the him going down the darkside was shock to everyone and much mystery surrounded why, and then why malak fired upon him (yeah we know but to the people in the game, the jedi ect.) then the whole "revan is dead" theory, but then finally realising that you where him was amazing, the fact that you where playing as a sith lord and every step you took effected the history of the republic, cause either the downfall of it or to make it flourish

Gameplay wise. The Exile is the stronger one, for Revan can reach level 20, while the Exile has potential to reach level 50, mostly being around level 30.

Story wise, they are probably equal, but no one knows.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Agreed.

Because while I like the strong plot of K2, the Exile has to be about the worst told PC ever. You're constantly wondering about his backstory, but you're never told and has to learn it as his companions learn it, which is fairly poor storytelling for the character I'm supposed to identify with. It's next to impossible to identify with the Exile when you don't know what he experienced on Malachor, don't know why he chose Exile, don't know his association with Bao-Dur when he suddenly turns up, etc. etc. etc...

So I have to choose Revan.

Why would the Exile ask about his/her backstory if he/she already knows it? Personally I like that you are not told to much about the character because I like to make it up myself.

The Exile comes across as a stronger person than Revan, imo, and not because of the whole level thing. He/she survived a horrific event that caused other Jedi to die or fall to the Dark Side. He/she came back to the Council when others were flocking to the rebuilt Sith. And he/she survived ten years severed from the Force in a galaxy at war or on the brink of ruin. Whatever you say about Revan, the Exile survived worse, and you have to respect that.

P.S. The Exile also sounds much cooler than Revan. :)

Guest The Architect
Why would the Exile ask about his/her backstory if he/she already knows it?  Personally I like that you are not told to much about the character because I like to make it up myself.

The Exile comes across as a stronger person than Revan, imo, and not because of the whole level thing.  He/she survived a horrific event that caused other Jedi to die or fall to the Dark Side.  He/she came back to the Council when others were flocking to the rebuilt Sith.  And he/she survived ten years severed from the Force in a galaxy at war or on the brink of ruin.  Whatever you say about Revan, the Exile survived worse, and you have to respect that.

P.S.  The Exile also sounds much cooler than Revan. :)

Fully agreed. The Exile gets my vote. Besides, finding out about the Exile's backstory fully in K2 would have just been un-necessary, it's un-called for, what were told about the Exile, the things that 'JohnZ117 said', were the only things that were needed to know about the Exile's backstory, I think Obsidian did a wonderful job in this case scenario.

Edited by The Architect

Why would the Exile ask about his/her backstory if he/she already knows it?  Personally I like that you are not told to much about the character because I like to make it up myself.

Yep. This is exactly why I like the Exile more. Because the personality traits, things in her background that I gave her, her history, aside from that that was given, was mine to do what I wanted with. And stayed that way. I did the same thing in K1, but because the main character turned out to be Revan my back story for her didn't amount to squat. <_<

This is also why I love the Neverwinter Nights expansion pack Hordes of the Underdark. The ability to completely make your character what you want him/her to be. The only things that are given is the you are the hero of Undrentide and that you trained with a dwarven wizard/cleric named Drogan. Race, gender, class, alignment, background, family etc. are all at my command, not the devs. :-

Edited by Mellypie
"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

Why would the Exile ask about his/her backstory if he/she already knows it? 

That's fine, but if I'm playing the Exile, then I must know it as a player, and I didn't. That makes it next to impossible to identify with *my* character.

Personally I like that you are not told to much about the character because I like to make it up myself.

Agreed, but so much of the Exile's backstory becomes vital during the game, and since I'm playing him, I shouldn't have to find out about it when Kreia throws Atton a few bits of information on the subject or similar. If the Exile is my character, that's great, but then I *have* to know him - that's my right as a player! If I can't do that, then let me play someone else. Otherwise it's just false to say that he's not amnesic. He may not, but it hardly matters... :(

The Exile comes across as a stronger person than Revan, imo, and not because of the whole level thing.  He/she survived a horrific event that caused other Jedi to die or fall to the Dark Side.  He/she came back to the Council when others were flocking to the rebuilt Sith.  And he/she survived ten years severed from the Force in a galaxy at war or on the brink of ruin.  Whatever you say about Revan, the Exile survived worse, and you have to respect that.

P.S.  The Exile also sounds much cooler than Revan. :shifty:

I think they've both seen terrible things, but I actually consider LS Revan to be the most troubled character, since he has to live with the knowledge of having killed or corrupted so many jedi and caused so much death... I assume that's why he left to fight the true Sith alone - to atone for all the horrible things he's done.

The Exile is far more powerful. Keia even said he was greater than any she has ever trained. The exile can learn a jedis abilities just from fighting them and he can gain those powers. He also has WAY BETTER and WAY MORE powers. It was even stated in the game since he was cut off from the force he could do things no jedi could do. Come on guys. It's called FORCE CRUSH! Exile wins this so easy. There is NO point in the story that says Revan is the most powerful but it does state the exile is morep owerful than he is. The exile even defeated Revans trainer and the immortal Darth Sion.

Duh, "Sidious was strongest sith lord in his time" my ass, he was the only sith lord
- Xard

Yep. This is exactly why I like the Exile more. Because the personality traits, things in her background that I gave her, her history, aside from that that was given, was mine to do what I wanted with. And stayed that way. I did the same thing in K1, but because the main character turned out to be Revan my back story for her didn't amount to squat.  <_<

This is also why I love the Neverwinter Nights expansion pack Hordes of the Underdark. The ability to completely make your character what you want him/her to be. The only things that are given is the you are the hero of Undrentide and that you trained with a dwarven wizard/cleric named Drogan. Race, gender, class, alignment, background, family etc. are all at my command, not the devs.  :-

Same.

Well at least until chapter III anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]