Game Informer- PS3

Blank

Here is a very informative (or so I thought) article on the PS3. Enjoy:

SONY OFFERS PEEK AT PS3

PS3 WITH HARD DRIVE/FREE ONLINE IN NOVEMBER

Up until this point, Sony has let the public formulate speculations and rumours about the PlayStation 3 to make up for the lack of hard information about the system. But for the first time since last year's E3 in May, Ken Kutaragi has taken the stage and shed more light on the much-anticipated system. Speaking recently at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing in Tokyo, Kutaragi confirmed what many of us have believed all along- the PlayStation 3 will come out worldwide in early November. But Kutaragi wasn't just on hand to deliver some bad news about the PS3's delayed launch, as he also fleshed out some concrete details on the system.

Sony says that one million units will be available each month, with the goal being to ship six million worldwide by March 7. Kutaragi didn't specify if the first million PS3's would be allocated across all territories, but the company's worldwide goal of spring 2007 seems to be an indication that U.S. gamers will have to split each monthly shipment with the Japanese and European markets. Because of this and the likely high demand, it seems clear we can expect shortages similar to those that befell Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Kutaragi explained the reason behind the launch delay was that Sony was waiting for the finalization of the specs for Blu-ray- the next-gen DVD format disc contain enough space (50GB dual layered) to hold high-definition content. Games for the PlayStation 3 will only use Blue-ray discs (and will be free from region encoding), because DVDs are too easy to copy. However, the PS3 will still play all DVDs, CDs, and be backwards compatible with PS2 and PSone games. In fact, games for Sony's old consoles played on the PS3 will actually be upscaled into HD-video formats. Sony also laid other incompatibility rumours to rest by saying that the platform would work on all regular and HDTVs, and would support the current and "next generation" of HDMI.

The PlayStation3 will debut with online functionality out of the box through its online service dubbed the PlayStation Network Platform. Sony says that a basic, free version of the service will be available to all, and every game will offer player matching, voice/video chat, messaging, ranking, commerce opportunities, and game uploads/downloads. A Sony spokesperson told us that it has not been decided yet if gamers will be able to play games online with the free basic service, although they did point out the company's history of not charging for online play. Once again, Sony is putting most of the control for game content and management into the hands of its third parties. Rumour is that Sony will offer downloads of PSone and PS2 games, and GamesIndustry.biz has reported that Sony is already in talks with companies such as EA for the rights to digitally distribute the publisher's back catalog.

The PS3 is supporting a 60GB hard drive (HDD) to handle such possibly large downloads. Sony says that all games will require the hard drive. A Sony spokesperson confirmed with us that the PS3 will ship with the 60GB hard drive included, so the public will not have to purchase on separately. The HDD will come with the Linux operating system pre-installed and be able to connect to the internet. PS3 owners will also be able to swap it out for a larger drive. It could also serve as a home server that would store MP3s or pictures for access from other devices such as the PSP.

Although those who were banking on a spring PS3 release may be disappointed by the system's fall date, developers are already saying that they welcome the delay in order to put more work into their games. At the Game Developer's Conference, Sony showed off gameplay clips of MotorStorm, WarHawk, and Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man to mixed reviews. However, a video of a new PS3 Ratchet & Clank excited the audience. It will be interesting to see how much progress developers have made at E3, and also when the final dev kits go out this summer.

Linux... interesting, eh Hades?

A Sony spokesperson told us that it has not been decided yet if gamers will be able to play games online with the free basic service, although they did point out the company's history of not charging for online play.

Ok, this worries me. I was hoping Sony wouldn't do their basic online the ultra-lame Live! way (where FREE means "free because it ain't worth sh!t"). We'll see how it turns out, I guess, but it sounds ominous.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ok, this worries me. I was hoping Sony wouldn't do their basic online the ultra-lame Live! way (where FREE means "free because it ain't worth sh!t"). We'll see how it turns out, I guess, but it sounds ominous.

For console online gaming, Live is the golden standard in the industry, whether or not you like it. With that said, Sony has made it no secret that they're going to try and copy Live 1.0 (basically the current version of Live) the best they can, which is a service they will charge for.

Sounds like a good HTPC + bluray. I'll eventually buy one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You guys are getting surprised every time you read exactly the same things.

Probably because we're all used to the vanishing horizon of promises that makes up the usual hype and never gets delivered (not mentioning any multi-national corporations that headquarter in Redmond).

Here is a very informative (or so I thought) article on the PS3. Enjoy:
SONY OFFERS PEEK AT PS3

PS3 WITH HARD DRIVE/FREE ONLINE IN NOVEMBER

Kutaragi explained the reason behind the launch delay was that Sony was waiting for the finalization of the specs for Blu-ray- the next-gen DVD format disc contain enough space (50GB dual layered) to hold high-definition content. Games for the PlayStation 3 will only use Blue-ray discs (and will be free from region encoding), because DVDs are too easy to copy. However, the PS3 will still play all DVDs, CDs, and be backwards compatible with PS2 and PSone games. In fact, games for Sony's old consoles played on the PS3 will actually be upscaled into HD-video formats. Sony also laid other incompatibility rumours to rest by saying that the platform would work on all regular and HDTVs, and would support the current and "next generation" of HDMI.

That's REALLY clever: ironing out all the incompatibility issues will make this a easy-sell; especially with people having to update all their tvs to run HDTV AND No region coding (even though it was slated for Blu-ray).

Sony says that all games will require the hard drive. A Sony spokesperson confirmed with us that the PS3 will ship with the 60GB hard drive included, so the public will not have to purchase on separately. The HDD will come with the Linux operating system pre-installed and be able to connect to the internet. PS3 owners will also be able to swap it out for a larger drive. It could also serve as a home server that would store MP3s or pictures for access from other devices such as the PSP.

Now the battle of the Titans for the PVR place under the tv begins in earnest. :D

Does seem to have a lot of expensive equipment; I wonder what the launch price will be?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Tis probably true that Sony will take a hit for each system they make for large price and sell for a reasonable price, but they are putting faith in the games yet to be sold for the system.

Also, starting with strong base specifications will give the PS3 staying power, that is, the 360 may start to look drabby in a couple years, whereas the PS3 will support Blu-ray and all that jazz inherently.

Tis probably true that Sony will take a hit for each system they make for large price and sell for a reasonable price, but they are putting faith in the games yet to be sold for the system.

Isn't it lovely how Sony and MS try to regain lost income from units from gamesells thereby making the games 10 (or more) bucks more expensive, and still the devs receive less than they would without a "licenced system fee" games :lol:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Still, 10 bucks more per game. Doesn't make me a happy gamer...

I find 50 bucks (for a brand new PC-game) too much already anyways...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

For console online gaming, Live is the golden standard in the industry, whether or not you like it.

Being the "golden standard" isn't difficult when there are NO competitors. Just like with the Windows OS, Microsoft uses an extremely greedy and monopolistic system that will hopefully be bettered by Sony. But if Sony also starts to charge players for direct connect online gaming (charging money without having to set up servers, like the Live system) then we're all screwed. Let's hope Sony doesn't do that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

True, Sony have stated that the PS2 will remain a viable games platform for several (five?) years, yet.

I was going to buy a PS2, but now I think I'll wait and buy a PS3. Especially with a Linux distro, that allows for much more flexibility replaying all the media formats. (Although Vista includes Media Player 10, which allows for burning media from, e.g. the DivX codec, straight to DVD. There will already be similar functionality for Linux in the wild.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Consoles look more and more like portable PCs.

In 10 years, the PS5 will ship with a screen, mouse and keyboard, upgradable memory and components, overclocking, etc.

And they say the PC market is dead. Pfff.

Consoles have always looked like portable PCs.

Isn't it lovely how Sony and MS try to regain lost income from units from gamesells thereby making the games 10 (or more) bucks more expensive, and still the devs receive less than they would without a "licenced system fee" games :(

The devs still make more money overall, so I doubt they care that much.

No. As it is 50 bucks is already 20% more expansive as it was before the euro was introduced... any higher for a non-special edition and somebody looses a costumer...

Yet it happens more and more even new PC games cost 60. Good thing that is mostly junk...

EDIT: I am slow. Reply to Hades' post

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^