Oblivion Thread

Fenghuang

I'm not entirely on-board with the scaling, leveling, or skills. In fact, I think the dialogue is second rate a lot of the time, tedious most of the time, and hideous the rest of the time. The combat is unexciting. The NPC interaction ranges from irritating to laughable and I often find myself clicking past responses just to get to the point.

...And yet, there it is: the great gaming experience I was trying to find. It's a wonderful game.

The quests are insteresting. Some of them have minor puzzles to complete. Some of them give me a good feeling of accomplishment.

I love looking at the castle from the distant hills. The colors and textures are always good and sometimes breathtaking.

The sense of exploration is balanced by a quick travel scheme that gives us the best of both worlds.

There's a lot to dislike, and some nasty little bugs, but I can only judge a game by my overall satisfaction.

The fact is, however, you're much better off if you're used to the wasd movement scheme.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oh crap, I just made fun of Avril Lavigne in another thread.

ANYHOW..

I installed a great mod the other night that adds a lot of detail and much better textures for those far-away sights. Unfortunately I don't know the name of it, but it's part of that OMOD package of mods. I really recommend it. I haven't noticed any decrease in performance, but it makes the game much prettier to look at.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

tl; dr.
I've seen this before, what does it mean? :huh:

The power of Google;

Too long, didn't read...

As all veterans of Marrowind should be... :wub:

1) It is Morrowind. Nice Vet. you are...

2) Your sig is far bigger than forum regulations allow. Combined with the awfull pinkness I might PM some mods with a remove request if you don't do it yourself soon... in order to save my eyes...

On Oblivion progress (will keep it short this time ;) ):

Visit the nearby Shrine and currently having trouble with it's inhabitants, while collecting meager loot :(

Zombies who take 100 hits with my 14 attack blade...

Ghosts who need a worse weapon... need about 40 hits, deal 20% health bar damage and have a nasty spell that causes me to be encumbered and locked on a location, unless I drop 33% of my inventory :)

Do I have to mention I am having a hard time cleaning that Shrine?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Oh, be nice to Deadly Nightshade. She's not the only one with a big sig, and I think she ought to raise holy hell if she's singled out for one.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Has anyone found a good way to solve the Glarthir mysteries yet?

I didnt have the patience to shadow each of his suspects around for a whole game day so I just told him "No, he/she isnt spying on you" which results in him going mad and trying to kill you and botching the quest. If you tell him that he is watched, hell give you a list of people to kill and you tell Dijon and the town guard kills him and botches the quest. I broke into his house aswellas all the suspects houses but I didnt find any evidence.. well, apart from Glarthirs notes that seem to hint at the Mythic Dawn being after him which led me to believe there is something more to this quest. OR am I wrong? Does this quest end up badly no matter what you do?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The guy is just paranoid. Nobody spying on him. So either you kill him (good way) or kill his "followers" (extremely bad way)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Mages ftw :)

Hey, Eldar, how would you rate this game on a 1-10 scale?

I really hate to give a numeric value to a game. I just don't know how to assign the numbers.

I would unreservedly suggest this game to anyone, however. I've spent hours playing and it's still fun.

The game isn't flawless, but it's damned good. I'll edit in a repost of some earlier comments.

wicked :)

I have to admit the more I hear of this game the mor eI want it :)

Mages ftw :)

Hey, Eldar, how would you rate this game on a 1-10 scale?

I really hate to give a numeric value to a game. I just don't know how to assign the numbers.

I would unreservedly suggest this game to anyone, however. I've spent hours playing and it's still fun.

The game isn't flawless, but it's damned good. I'll edit in a repost of some earlier comments.

wicked :)

I have to admit the more I hear of this game the mor eI want it :)

I even like this game, and thats after months of building up hate and loathing so Id be ready to dismiss it as the crapfeast I was expecting.

But still, as a CRPG its not very good. Had it been done on the IE engine I would have fallen asleep with boredom and uninstalled it long ago.

As a CRPG: 2/5 (its really an action-adventure where you can make your own PC)

Just in general: 3.5/5 (nothing special but fun enough to play)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Oblivion is easily the best sandbox RPG since the 90s, and much better than Morrowind. Of course the writing and VO is crap a lot of the time (although Sean Bean does a good job with the amount of gibberish he has to say) but there's so much of it any other standards would be pretty much impossible. If you want to find flaws with Oblivion you could have a 10 page list after a few hours, but it has so much going for it it's a shame to dismiss it because it can't do everything. Combat is fun and the different perks you earn keep it interesting, the graphics are the best I've seen, quests are surprisingly good especially compared to Morrowind. The scope of the world is impressive, I haven't even been to 3 of the towns yet, I've only closed 1 oblivion gate and I haven't done that many dungeons and I've been playing for almost 40 hours. Overall the best game of the last few years for me, I hope it keeps selling truckloads and a couple of good expansions come out.

And shooting townsfolk with arrows and the knockdown perk is fun. :)

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I'm not saying this to flame anyone. Hell, the attitude is so pervasive on boards like these that I wouldn't bother trying to single out individuals. At any rate, it's quie clear when I want to flame someone.

All that said, I've just never understood why folks like randomly killing townspeople and other such nonsense. Dammit, Llyranor's little story about stalking and murdering some poor women is downright disturbing. I worry over the kid.

At any rate, why does it provide such a kick to act like a maniac in these games? Is it a release from the frustrations of life or what?

Obsidian Plays

Where was that? :lol:

As for your question, I don't know about Oblivion as I don't have it yet, but I really like killing the peoples in San Andreas just because there's so many different ways to do it. Also there's something about unloading two sawed off shotguns in a person's chest and watching their body fly back that's oddly satisfying. :)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

At any rate, why does it provide such a kick to act like a maniac in these games?  Is it a release from the frustrations of life or what?

Not a clue, I couldn't imagine doing that.

Heck I've done reloads after accidentally hurting someone (morrowind in this example) >_<

Need a little help. I'm stuck.

I'm on the Countess of Chorrol's stolen painting investigation quest. I talked to everybody and found a painting at the bottom of the west tower, then found hidden painting supplies in the one Redguard woman's room...now I can't find anything, and have no idea where to look.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I don't kill random people in games because it's just.. not fun. If I kill there's a reason. *cough* *noober* *cough*

On the quest:

you need to find the 3rd and last clue. Go to the dining room (I believe it is on the same cell as the main throne room), and on the carpet there will be some paint stains. This provides final proof that the person who claims to have been in the dining room is the painter of eeeevil.

I found the "Unusual Painting" marker stupid though. >_<

Edited by Tigranes

I don't kill random people in games because it's just.. not fun. If I kill there's a reason. *cough* *noober* *cough*

On the quest:

you need to find the 3rd and last clue. Go to the dining room (I believe it is on the same cell as the main throne room), and on the carpet there will be some paint stains. This provides final proof that the person who claims to have been in the dining room is the painter of eeeevil.

I found the "Unusual Painting" marker stupid though.  >_<

Thank you! :geek:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast