Interesting interview about the Warhammer MMORPG

Sounds somewhat interesting, actually. What was the 'original' WH online supposed to be like?

Fun ;)

From what I saw of it, before the site went down, it'd use a kind of "radiant AI" (woooo catchphrase for the month of april) to handle monster spawns.

Plus it used a "job system" like the PnP game.

It also looked like they'd stick close to the source material.

It's got a very experienced team behind it, as DAoC was probably the most succesful MMORPG without a huge publisher backing it. I still imagine it will stick to many MMORPG conventions though, even if it changes a few things.

Sounds somewhat interesting, actually. What was the 'original' WH online supposed to be like?

Fun :(

From what I saw of it, before the site went down, it'd use a kind of "radiant AI" (woooo catchphrase for the month of april) to handle monster spawns.

Neither of which sounds like 'fun' to me. Infact, they sound very 'Oblivionish', which is the antithetis of fun as far as i'm concerned. Also, from what i remember the original game had uber realistic graphics , which also i couldn't care less about...

Conventions :(

Nothing wrong with conventions, it's the execution that matters.

Remembering Half Life (since the dev brought it up in the interview), the game greatest strengh lied not in the innovations introduced (albeit the game DID redefine the genre), but it was based on the fact many of the conventional elements of the genre up to that point were masterfully excecuted.

After playing WoW for almost 6 months, i learned a lot about what goes on in those games, and i must confess some people have really odd expectations when it comes to MMORPGs and often times many of the things people want are just not that easy to implement given the scope of those games.

For starters, the basic concept behind a game like WoW is very similar to Diablo (for all intended purposes they already made their Diablo 3), and that's already a daunting task in and of itself, and still that is only your starting point. Blizzard didn't go very far from there, nobody has. Ultima Online is still the benchmark of what is possible with those games, and i'm not sure the current state of the industry will allow for anything more.

That said, focusing on making the basic convetions fun is still a worthy goal, and that's what Mystic seems to be doing with this game. If i ever wish to try a MMORPG again, their game seems like a decent pick, if anything...

Fun :(

Neither of which sounds like 'fun' to me. Infact, they sound very 'Oblivionish', which is the antithetis of fun as far as i'm concerned. Also, from what i remember the original game had uber realistic graphics , which also i couldn't care less about...

Then your memory is flawed, the graphics were kinda sucktastic.

Warhammer is plain twisted and rotten. If they make a game true to all teh novels then by Grugni I'll buy my first MMORPG.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No, it really isn't... and you can be a Chaos Warrior! :)

However I like Warhammer 40k more myself, it's in that game I build my armies. :huh:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Warhammer > u

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Until they make a MMO that isnt about Grinding, Looting and Levelling Im not interested.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Until they make a MMO that isnt about Grinding, Looting and Levelling Im not interested.

Thats ultimately what it's all about. What seperates the good from the bad is how well it's disguised. If all your seeing is the grinding, then you wont enjoy it. But if it's a means to an end and your doing it with a decent group of people who's company you enjoy , it becomes almost irrelevent.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

And thats precisely why I dont like MMO's

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I like tabletop Warhammer....interesting thing about it: it is a MUCH better experience when both armies are very well painted.

And I'm not really in it for the modeling aspect of it but it is just a much different experience.

as fantasy settings go, it is a pretty brutal, dingy setting.

The Warhammer universe (at least the old one, that I remember) makes White Wolfs settings look like Hasbros "My Little Pony" universe by comparison :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein