Playable Mass Effect

karka

KINDA BAD NEWS: It's not an RPG. Appraently. Maybe it has RPG elements.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146568.html

"today to discuss the studio's upcoming squad-based tactical game Mass Effect for the Xbox 360"

"As mentioned in our previous coverage, Mass Effect will be a squad-based, sci-fi game in which gamers play as a human soldier in an unfriendly galaxy full of alien life forms. "

KINDA BAD NEWS: It's not an RPG. Appraently. Maybe it has RPG elements.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146568.html

"today to discuss the studio's upcoming squad-based tactical game Mass Effect for the Xbox 360"

"As mentioned in our previous coverage, Mass Effect will be a squad-based, sci-fi game in which gamers play as a human soldier in an unfriendly galaxy full of alien life forms. "

Those are Gamespot's lines... Anyway, ME is an action rpg.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/

says

"A Revolutionary Action RPG Coming to Xbox 360"

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

How do you know?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Or maybe it's a really intuitive system.

Freedom Fighters and FSW did it okayish.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Freedom Fighters was good.

How difficult things are to control in real time would depend on just how much control you have over them.

Onimusha 4 has quite an interesting command system. It's also very easy to use while having to fight off hordes of monsters.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Isn't it the one where you can choose which member you control and the others will follow the set of commandments you've given them in advance? Kind of like Seiken Densetsu, just with Fallout 2 kinda "attack the weakest/strongest, etc"-thingamajic

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Squad-based FPSesque systems can work quite well, as Brothers in Arms demonstrated (which worked very well, if not for the repetition). Adding RPG elements to it certainly could end up quite interesting. I'd keep an eye on this one, if I actually had a 360.

To expand on BiA. Basically, you had two fire teams at your disposition. One keyboard press switches btw which one is active. Point somewhere, click, order move. Point at the enemy, click, order fire/suppression. Click something else, order assault - fire teams charges. You could easily set up suppression/flanking maneuvers in a few clicks. Some commands were to take cover behind objects, rally up, fall back, etc.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Isn't it the one where you can choose which member you control and the others will follow the set of commandments you've given them in advance? Kind of like Seiken Densetsu, just with Fallout 2 kinda "attack the weakest/strongest, etc"-thingamajic

You control one and the other one can be set to a specfic state (rather than a list of commands). I'll dig around for the manual.

There are four commands (one for each direction , handy that :D )

Follow and attack - just your basic stay with me and hit things.

All out attack - way more damage but the life bar decreases over time

Stay and heal - ally stands still and heals upto 50%

The last one is character specific.

For example Jubie's is distract and avoid which basically acts like a taunt effect.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Freedom Fighters was good.

How difficult things are to control in real time would depend on just how much control you have over them.

Onimusha 4 has quite an interesting command system. It's also very easy to use while having to fight off hordes of monsters.

Freedom Fighters was not good.

At all.

It was awesome.

Interesting. I played all the previous titles in the series, but this does party combat loads better.

Edit: Astroboy, I agree. I'm still waiting for a sequel. Although Mercenaries was kinda spiritual successorish.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Interesting. I played all the previous titles in the series, but this does party combat loads better.

Each character also has a unique skill tree and unlockable combo moves so the combat is much more involved.

Plus they all have background stories ala JE and you can chat to them when your resting in your base. They also make stuff for you , which is handy.

Each one also has a special puzzle ability (like a grapling hook) so playing a stage with a different partner will open up new routes.

The problem I had was I'd just played 3 and they changed the controls so I was pressing the wrong buttons :">

As soon as I'm done with Atellier Iris and Squadron Commander though I'm going right back to it :blink:

478327[/snapback]

One thing: Does the game have any nods to the previous games? Any recurring characters or other things?

kirottu said:

One thing: Does the game have any nods to the previous games? Any recurring characters or other things?

It has references to them. The story follows on from the "secret" ending of part 3.

Comes on two DvD's so I'd guess it's pretty big too.

478327[/snapback]