Classical music and Jazz: dead?

Lyric Suite

Can anybody explain to me what is deal?

It seems that no matter where you look popular music is the only thing you'll ever find.

Indeed, as far back as i can remember, i have never met or even heard of anybody who was ever interested in classical music, be it in school or any where else.

The internet is my only hope and even then a lot of classical music fans you can find are just pousers of the Tori Amos kind, New Age lunatics, or sometimes people who are into both popular music as well as western music but only see the latter through the standards set by the first.

Jazz is just as dead, but i'm European, perhaps Americans have it better on that front.

It's a matter of fact, popular culture has a whole has pretty much replaced the entire history of western art spanning back to ancient greece, but of all things music seems to have it the worst.

Aside for the few decent sites devoted to western music (where the majority of the people are not of my age group and are not easy to relate to), talking about music with others makes me feel like i'm some sort of wierd alien.

Edited by Lyric Suite

Let's wait for a couple hundred years and see if the classics from bygone days, of any genre, are actually dead and replaced by the mass of music created in this age.

There are tons of great songs in our age, but folks will play Bach when the vast majority of today's songs are long forgotten.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My wife is a classical musician so I'm constantly surrounded by the music of the past Masters. In fact she is currently working on her Doctorate in Performance at a conservatory so we are fortunate to be able to attend recitals and concerts every weekend. This past weekend we were in New York and saw the New York Phil perform Tchaikovsky 5th along with several Chamber pieces by Poulenc.

"I'm god. I may not be 'The God', but I'm definately a god." - Ground Hog's Day

Visit: http://www.paulvomero.com/

There's quite a few major classical venues within an hour of me that have very busy schedules and large audiences. My favorite is probably the Orange County Performing Arts Center. And there's at least a dozen active jazz clubs. If you ever find yourself in Southern California, tune in to 88.1 for jazz and blues all day long and find out about upcoming gigs.

Maybe you just live in a crappy area. Or maybe you aren't digging enough to find the local jazz and classical communities. They're probably around, just not as obvious as other scenes. Afterall, what does a jazz fan look like?

Well, to answer the initial question of why it is not seen as much, is because classical music evolved in to other forms of music, and that was the new fad, and then that music evolved into Jazz and Blues, and then jazz and blues evolved into rock and pop, and then that rock and pop evolved into what we have today. As the music evolves into something different, so do the people, because they grow up all their lives listening to what their parents listen to until one day they find something different. The rebel by listening to the new music of the time.

I listen to jazz, but not so much classical. I think the reason for me at least to not listen to classical is because I study it in school, and it is kind of predictable when I hear it. I still like it, I just don't listen to it as much.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Classical music is alive and well. All you need to do is listen to the wonderful music from movie soundtrack scores. John Williams, Howard Shore, Wojciech Kilar, Basil Poledouris and Jerry Goldsmith to name a few composers who have written great sounding classical music in our era.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

^Don't go that route. You'd have to be actually interested in the movies to like the soundtracks. Unless it's James Horner.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

^^Double true, unless you're really into Romantic Era incidential music those composers probaly wouldn't hold much appeal to you.

As far as Jazz goes any night of the week you can see a show in Austin at the Elephant Room, and some nights at the Mercury when they're not having hip-hop night or whatever. I would imagine the same would be true of any large European city. Most modern jazz musician simply have to tour in Europe to make a living now days.

If you really enjoy both these styles of music then I would really recomend that you pick up an instrument, or take a music appreciation class. Either way will expose you to intricacies of the genres and more then likely bring you in close contact with others who appreciate the music as well.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Hell, many major American markets don't even have an alternative rock station anymore. But I'll stay on topic, and the topic is why classical and jazz music is tough to find these days.

In my experience, classical and jazz were nowhere to be found until I went to college. Unless you live in an area that's jam-packed with people who care about art, you're not going to find those forms of music around. I don't know if that is exactly a change, in fact I would think it would be normal.

I can get a CBC station from across the Great Lakes that plays classical music during the day. Besides that, I've got one high-powered Top 40 station, a handful of classic rock stations that all play Ted Nugent WAY too much, and few stations with the polished crap coming out of Nashville these days.

I don't rely on the radio for musical enlightenment anymore. I prefer other avenues.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I think what Lyric Suite meant was that it isn't in the mainstream popular culture.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Besides that, I've got one high-powered Top 40 station, a handful of classic rock stations that all play Ted Nugent WAY too much, and few stations with the polished crap coming out of Nashville these days.

Dude, Ted Nugent, dude. :cool:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Classical music is something that exists in every household where i've been. There's always a cd-compilation called something in the vein of "Great Classics", with Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Sibelius and so on in everybodys cd-library (I'm guilty of this myself).

Jazz on the other hand, i've always had a bad experience with. In most of my listenings, it's composed of complex diffirent interludes, mixed together to resemble a melody. The drummer drums in polyrythms, while interesting approach, it cripples the song-structure IMO. Not to mention the lyrics, yuck!

I would be glad if Lyric Suite would provide some tips of Jazz-bands that don't do music for the sake of being technical.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

See? If Jorian, in the corner of no and where, has a library of classical music, then it begs the question just where you live ... :ermm:

Me? :(

And what do you mean with "in the corner of no and where"? :-

It means you live in the hind end of space that nobody cares about, much less heard about.

Thanks for explaining it.

...Meta... <_<

"In general, our guidelines are based on the fundamentals of common sense, respect and tolerance. We ask that our users not post material that is abusive, defamatory, libelous, harassing, hateful, obscene, profane, vulgar, or illicit. When posting to a file, please ensure that it is not a direct download."

Do you remember this?

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png