I Love Big Brother

Blank

First of all, i see that there is already a thread similar to this, but hopefully this will be a more focused discussion. The point of this is to generate more ideas for a paper i am going to write. I have some ideas already, but I'd appreciate some idea bandying. Okay, here goes:

Government is a necessary evil. Some freedoms are sacrificed for others to be preserved. But at what point does a government's grasp become too tight? Specifically, I would like to hear everyone's opinions on the surveillance issue. What are the pros and cons of a government being able to obtain information about any part or all parts of your life? Why should an individual worry about this.

I think the hardest part here is finding where to draw the line. How many wiretaps can one plant for "safety" before it becomes abused? You have people who criticize Bush for not doing enough to stop 9/11, but turn right around and criticize the Patriot Act.

I think the hardest part here is finding where to draw the line.  How many wiretaps can one plant for "safety" before it becomes abused?  You have people who criticize Bush for not doing enough to stop 9/11, but turn right around and criticize the Patriot Act.

I criticize the administration for ignoring documents warning of a Bin Laden led attack and I also criticize them for violating the privacy of private citizens under the guise of "protecting" us. :(

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

we always wanted a big brother, but instead we got a little sister. were never able to forgive God for that.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You think you got screwed? I got a younger AND an older sister.

Armageddon for a whole week every month. :thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Never watched the show, Blank, but I heard that the producers wiretapped the people on the show and placed hidden cameras around the house, so maybe Bush is tired of cable TV himself...

As for your paper, if it's in the form of a presentation, start by saying that 'People shouldn't be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of its people.' (in a British accent) Then show the whole class the film V for Vendetta. They are going to love it. :sorcerer:

But seriously though, you would be better off with the libary if you are looking for ideas for a paper.

I almost laughed, but then i realised you were serious.

The topic of this thread refers to the brainwashed zombies of the government in George Orwell's book, 1984. NOT A STUPID TV SHOW OF WHICH I HAVE NEVER HEARD!

Leisurely I came here to probe the minds of a forum community which I believe can thoroughly discuss controversial matters in an interesting way. I'll remind myself not to do it again.

That V for Vendetta idea is genious though. Too bad it's not a presentation...

Right now in Vancouver theres major talk of installing video cameras downtown. I personally don't see the big deal. Public places aren't private, so why worry about privacy? They help solve crimes and really don't affect me so I'm all for it. As long as they don't start trying to put cameras in my home.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Right now in Vancouver theres major talk of installing video cameras downtown. I personally don't see the big deal. Public places aren't private, so why worry about privacy? They help solve crimes and really don't affect me so I'm all for it. As long as they don't start trying to put cameras in my home.

Our officials here in Quebec have also started implementing this. I'm all for it. I would not be against random focused surveillance either, as long as it doesn't become another inquisition or something.

National security needs to be beefed up, especially here in Canada. But I would not like my country to lose its "safe haven" status. A balance needs to be adopted and kept with very strict laws.

The danger with letting the govs act "a little like" Big Brother is that it can become very bad, very fast.

I could write an essay about how the English government has all but completely destroyed what was once the finest education system in the world by political interference but the whole issue just winds me up too much.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Brilliant song. Get hundreds to sing "we need an education" without them realising the double negative was genius.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Perhaps Blank, if you had mentioned this paper to be about 1984 before the last post of the first page, people would have been more helpful.

First post of thread:

The point of this is to generate more ideas for a paper i am going to write. I have some ideas already, but I'd appreciate some idea bandying.

I would like to hear everyone's opinions on the surveillance issue. What are the pros and cons of a government being able to obtain information about any part or all parts of your life?

Also, if people were more well-read, then they would understand the reference in the topic title.

In any case, the paper has been written; thank you all for trying. The discussion may continue if you all feel like it or not.