New studio: Bioware Austin

Draikin

http://www.syncgaming.com/index.php?page=viewnews&id=3920

New Studio Recruiting for Massively Multiplayer Online RPG Project

By Quinton Miles

March 13, 2006 - Canadian videogame developer BioWare Corp. has announced the opening of a new studio, BioWare Austin, based in Austin, Texas. It is the second of BioWare's studios and the first to be located outside of Canada.

BioWare Austin has already begun work on a Massively Multiplayer Online roleplaying game (MMORPG) title; the new game will mark BioWare's debut in the Massively Multiplayer Online space. BioWare has recruited some of the top talent in MMO and RPG development, both to manage the development efforts at BioWare Austin and to collaborate with the experienced team at BioWare Edmonton, to develop a game that combines the best of BioWare's great past games with a compelling persistent online experience. Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.

"BioWare is committed to a seamless collaboration between our two studios to ensure the same high standards of quality and creativity our dedicated teams have always delivered," said Ray Muzyka, co-founder and Joint CEO of BioWare. "With our extensive heritage in the roleplaying genre, BioWare Austin is extremely well positioned to innovate in the massively multiplayer online space for BioWare's valued community of fans."

The new BioWare Austin comes soon after the formation of BioWare/Pandemic Studios, a partnership facilitated by private equity firm Elevation Partners. The new entity combines top videogame developers BioWare Corp., an industry leader in the role-playing game genre, and Pandemic Studios, an award-winning developer of best-selling action titles.

Both BioWare Austin and BioWare Edmonton currently have job openings for programmers, designers, artists, animators, world builders and writers, with new jobs being posted regularly. Applicants may view job postings and submit materials through jobs.bioware.com. BioWare Austin will also be recruiting, along with BioWare Edmonton and sister studios Pandemic Studios LA and Pandemic Australia, at the Game Developers Conference at the San Jose Convention Centre in San Jose, California, March 20-24, 2006.

There just isn't enough MMO already :rolleyes: well, at least it's not a WWII FPS :thumbsup:

I like that they're opening a different studio dedicated to the genre instead of taking resources and personel way from single player titles.

Kudos for BIO for expanding, as well.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I like that they're opening a different studio dedicated to the genre instead of taking resources and personel way from single player titles.

What makes you think they aren't going to take resources and personel away from their current dev team to form the new one?

So, they finally found a proper use for NWN1 :D

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you have plans of ever making another game after your MMO is released you have to have two studios because maintaining a MMO demands constant work with fixing bugs and adding content aswellas managing the player community

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What makes you think they aren't going to take resources and personel away from their current dev team to form the new one?

Austin is one of the biggest computer cities in the US, and it also has one of the biggest entertainment industries (movies, television) outside L.A. I'm sure they could find a lot of great local talent.

oh, btw I'm not interested. I have no desire to play a mmo.

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

This is ppretty shocking news. I'm excited to see what they come up with, as I think they are one of the few companies with a real attention to detail. I can't think of anyone else who can compete with Blizzard on a MMO. I really want to know what the setting will be, but I imagine it will be about 4 years until we see the product.

I'll pass. :- At this time, I have no interest to pay per month to play a game. I knew BIO was going to announce soemthing soon; but I epxected it to be new REAL games or something about their mega company they're part of; but this... Meh....

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hmm... Neat. I was gonna call you on it, and say that could simply be ME; but they have ME on there already heh. So, it being JE2 is a good bet. of course, it could be ME2 since they have already technically announced ME1, ME2, and ME3. LOL :D

LOL

That.. was.. too.. polite..

The Old Hades would ahve stomped a mudhole into the entire idea... the new one gives a thumbs up..

Scary!!! :thumbsup:

I suspect a BioWare MMO would be somewhat like Guild Wars (maybe not the actual business model, though) in that there is definitely a "main story" that you can follow.

Some MMOs (I understand) do not really have that.

This would also be a good outlet for them to explore rideable mounts and the Z axis.