Feargus video interview

Llyranor

Diablo is worse than PoOR 2, Descent into Undermountain, Eye of the Beholder, King's Field series, and Morrowind.

That makes no sense at all.

Diablo is very good at what it does. It may not be to everyones taste, but that's not the point anyway. There are myriad reasons why POR is just awful.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, you can argue that KotOR is just playing at illusionary choice a lot of the time, but you do get to make a lot of DS/LS choices along the way, and those do count toward the character you end up with. Sure, you can still take the DS ending even if you have LS mastery in the temple, but it'll be inconsistent, and the game will punish you for it, since you likely have all the wrong force powers at that point.

Somehow "fighting a war beyond human comprehension" doesn't seem right to me. I'm a human (even in Diablo), and I'm still fighting that war and killing Diablo, his brothers, and all their minions. Doesn't seem to be beyond my comprehension after all. So that comment seems to fall short somehow, especially if you've played as much Cthulhu as I have - now *there* is a war beyond human comprehension...

Well, I still killed the lot of them. Who does that make food? Maybe after I slaughtered Andariel and Duriel, Diablo should have thought that I might have been a better ally than enemy. Or at least after I killed Mephisto...

What feelings? There are none in Diablo that I can see... I might presume stuff, but that's all in just in my head, and never gets to have influence on the game.

Yes but those choices are not significant to the end. I've never seen the game punish you for anything. If a Jedi with LS powers can finish the game, then a Jedi with Sith powers can too just as easily. I couldnt face playing KOTOR again so I just reloaded the temple to see the alternate ending. The powers may cost some more force points to use, but thats trivial.

But thats just what it is, whether or not it seems right to you. You may understand you have to kill Diablo. But you don't know why your doing it. The end of LoD is very open ended. Your a lot like a soldier, you may know you have to fight, but you wont know what the "grand plan" is.

It's like any RPG where you go up the ladder. Malek didnt want to ally with you either remember ? And you had just hacked your way through everything he put in your path. So you have the same choice there as in Diablo, you fight him and kill him. Or you die.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Most funny of this all is according to Jediphile Dungeon Siege 2 is MORE OF A RPG than Planescape:Torment

If that isn't really ironic if seeing on what game DS2 is based  :lol: ...

Great, now I have Battlecookiee telling me what I think...

Guess it saves me the trouble. Certainly I must bow to the great oracle of Battlecookiee that knows what I think and why so much better than I do...

-_-

What feelings? There are none in Diablo that I can see... I might presume stuff, but that's all in just in my head, and never gets to have influence on the game.

I still have to remind you about Icewind Dale, where your party is similar to a character in Diablo: they are totally blank. Somehow it is a fact that Icewind Dale is an RPG.

Never played Icewind Dale, so I wouldn't know...

Diablo is worse than PoOR 2, Descent into Undermountain, Eye of the Beholder, King's Field series, and Morrowind.

LMAO! Your logic is flawed. Go back to your rabbit hole.

Nothing and I mean nothing is worse tha PoR 2.

Diablo is a good game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Diablo is a good game.

You are wrong. Diablo is an excellent game.

Very true, I made a slight error. :lol:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I still have to remind you about Icewind Dale, where your party is similar to a character in Diablo: they are totally blank. Somehow it is a fact that Icewind Dale is an RPG.

Heck, the characters in Diablo 2 show more feeling than those in IWD.

D2 FTW :)

Darque for the win.

Nope you already told yourself. And DS2 has more "hits" with your reasoning than any other RPG existing of the AD&D rules (and many other)

Guess it saves me the trouble. Certainly I must bow to the great oracle of Battlecookiee that knows what I think and why so much better than I do...

Ofcourse :D

Nope you already told yourself. And DS2 has more "hits" with your reasoning than any other RPG existing of the AD&D rules (and many other)

Still not my definition...

Ah, why do I even bother - you obviously don't care about I have actually said as long as you can toss stuff in my face... Whether I said it or not is clearly of secondary priority to the grander purpose of misresenting me. Oh well... :lol:

Ofcourse :D

Just the sort of apt and appropriate argumentation I've come to expect by now... :luck:

That's a good question...why do you bother? You already stated that it was just what you felt. Though I imagine that that statement is a bit of a copout, since you were guily of it yourself when you decided Darque's classification of it was wrong too.

That's a good question...why do you bother?  You already stated that it was just what you felt.  Though I imagine that that statement is a bit of a copout, since you were guily of it yourself when you decided Darque's classification of it was wrong too.

What?!? :lol:

All I ever said was that I didn't agree and then I explained why. I've haven't tried to say that anyone else was "wrong" or tell them that they couldn't hold onto their own perception of what made an RPG and what didn't. Why would I? It would be pointless, since I find it exceedingly unlikely that people will change their minds and think Diablo is not an RPG just because I don't think it is.

I argued the point, but I did respect people's right to disagree with me.

Sadly, there are those who do not extend me the same courtesy... :(

It's an RPG that focuses on character development as opposed to story development.

No, it's an action game masquerading as an RPG due to character development and concepts like classes and levels that many people think make it into an RPG only because they fail to realise that many RPGs don't have classes and levels at all.

It has some character development in the skill system, though, and it's fun for a while... But that doesn't make it an RPG. Nor does the fact that it has a plot.

It's an RPG that focuses on character development as opposed to story development.

No, it's an action game masquerading as an RPG due to character development and concepts like classes and levels that many people think make it into an RPG only because they fail to realise that many RPGs don't have classes and levels at all.

It has some character development in the skill system, though, and it's fun for a while... But that doesn't make it an RPG. Nor does the fact that it has a plot.

"I think" Right. "I think" I shall make a point of, "I think" putting the word "I think" in front of every state, "I think" I'll ever make on these boards, "I think" from now on.

"I think" happy?

;)

I don't see the point in arguing that Diablo isnt an RPG since by every objective measure. Even the definition that Jediphile posted himself it is.

The problem is who gets to definte what makes for "an objective measure".

And I didn't post a definition, I just gave a link to one. You don't have to agree with. Nor do I, for that matter...