Feargus video interview

Llyranor

"I think" Right. "I think" I shall make a point of, "I think" putting the word "I think" in front of every state, "I think" I'll ever make on these boards, "I think" from now on.

"I think" happy?

;)

Except that it wouldn't be the first time, so it's hard to say.

Besides, what's the point of bringing in your own personal, unique interpretation into a discussion about the mainstream classification that Diablo has? Is there anything to be gained by telling Darque you think her opinion is completely wrong? Besides, I find Darque's statement actually reflects a substantial portion of the gaming community.....at least the impression I got was she seems to think so. I feel the same way.

Besides, if you felt it was just your opinion and not something more, then I am confused as to why you so adamantly hate it when someone refers to it as an RPG. So their opinion doesn't match up with yours....whoop-dee-****ing-doo. Unless your insistence is to subjugate other people's defintion of RPG to match up with yours.

Edited by alanschu

Besides, what's the point of bringing in your own personal, unique interpretation into a discussion about the mainstream classification that Diablo has?

"I think" I didn't. "I think" it wasn't my personal or even "I think" unique interpretation. "I think" it was dictionary.com's definition, "I think" not mine.

Is there anything to be gained by telling Darque you think her opinion is completely wrong? 

"I think" I didn't do that either. "I think" I just said that "I think" I disagreed with her.

Besides, I find Darque's statement actually reflects a substantial portion of the gaming community.....at least the impression I got was she seems to think so.  I feel the same way.

"I think" that's fine, but "I think" that still doesn't mean that "I think" I have to agree with it. "I think" it also doesn't mean that "I think" I should make arguments to the contrary.

Besides, if you felt it was just your opinion and not something more, then I am confused as to why you so adamantly hate it when someone refers to it as an RPG.  So their opinion doesn't match up with yours....whoop-dee-****ing-doo.  Unless your insistence is to subjugate other people's defintion of RPG to match up with yours.

"I think" I don't hate it, "I think" I just disagree with it and "I think" say so. "I think" and why.

"I think" is it very wrong of me, "I think" to explain why?

Because your insistence of it borderlines the fantaticism of Gabrielle and Planescape: Torment, and Hades and, well, everything.

If you didn't take the majority of people classifying it as an RPG so personally, you wouldn't put yourself in the position to complain about people and their maturity about insisting on attacking you (which is rather ironic).

And you clearly do hate it when people classify it. It's the only reason why you hold your ground and stick to your guns despite the attacks. If this was truly just your opinion and weren't making a big issue of it, you would never have even posted in this thread, let alone kept going on and on and on and on and on, trying to convince two people that quite obviously aren't going to be convinced. You then accuse other people of attacking you because it's just your opinion, yet you have no problems smacking other people's comments on the issue right back in their face.

"I think"

I beg to differ.

Because your insistence of it borderlines the fantaticism of Gabrielle and Planescape: Torment, and Hades and, well, everything.

:huh: "I think" now I "borderline fanatiscism" because "I think" I argue for why "I think" I think Diablo is not an RPG?!?!?

"I think" this is getting weirder and weirder... :ph34r:

If you didn't take the majority of people classifying it as an RPG so personally, you wouldn't put yourself in the position to complain about people and their maturity about insisting on attacking you (which is rather ironic).

"I think" I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me. "I think" I do have a problem with people telling me "I think" what I can and cannot be allow to think ("I think" )

And you clearly do hate it when people classify it.

"I think" no.

It's the only reason why you hold your ground and stick to your guns despite the attacks. 

"I think" so now you too want to tell me what I think, "I think" just like BattleCookiee does...

"I think" I already explain "I think" that I simply defended my right to "I think" have my own opinion on the matter. But "I think" that's not good enough either, "I think" it seems... :(

If this was truly just your opinion and weren't making a big issue of it, you would never have even posted in this thread, let alone kept going on and on and on and on and on, trying to convince two people that quite obviously aren't going to be convinced. 

"I think" so it's my fault if "I think" they keep attacking me? "I think" why don't you give them a share of the blame?

You then accuse other people of attacking you because it's just your opinion, yet you have no problems smacking other people's comments on the issue right back in their face.

:-

"I think"

I beg to differ.

"I think" I do. "I think" I can't speak for you, though... :-"

Well, according to you before in this thread your dictonary link agrees with your definition of Diablo and now it no longer does?  :huh:

"I think" I never actually said that. "I think" but since mine wasn't good enough, "I think" it seemed relevant to point to what someone else thought. "I think" you'll note that "I think" I said it was not mine. "I think" feel free to disagree.

Your definition of a RPG;

RPG means you must role-play, as in putting yourself in the role of another (fictional) character and then make decisions on the basis of that character's perceptions and opinions. What decisions or choices do you make in Diablo? Whether to kill the skeletons with a sword or a fireball? Whether to spend the next skill point on fanaticism or zeal, if you're a paladin? Not much RPG in there for me...

Even more defining of RPG's by you. No "I thinks" here... just cold hard facts

Randomness does not equal choice. Therefore, not an RPG.

Calling "my definition". How odd you hate me for saying the exact same thing... and once again saying what defines a RPG (no "I think") :huh:

Looking only at the overall plot to fit your definition...  :-

I guess we should just ignore the matter of all those little quests where you can take LS or DS choices along the way, which all contribute to which outcome you're likely to take in the end... I mean, if we remembered those, then you wouldn't be proved absolutely and totally correct, and so naturally we must ignore them...  :(

My definition further defined.... eh, not... :-" Seems like randomness grabbed you here... and the further convo became Very confusing.

And you once again define RPG without "I think". Just cold hard facts (well; your facts)

MY definition? :blink:

You're the one who brought KotOR into this.

I can understand if you want to retract on the basis of not having a good case, though...

I guess we should just ignore the matter of all those little quests where you can take LS or DS choices along the way, which all contribute to which outcome you're likely to take in the end... I mean, if we remembered those, then you wouldn't be proved absolutely and totally correct, and so naturally we must ignore them...  :thumbsup:

Wait. Diablo 2 has sub-quests. You can or cannot complete them! Choice! RPG!

No, it just has a few quests that you can leave uncompleted. Whether you want those rewards or not is immaterial - it still will not affect the further plot in the slightest. You'll still face the Smith even if you don't want to find Charsi's hammer. Hence, no choice. Hence, no RPG.

We kept talking about 1 definition you kept refering to as fact before; and which did not qualify Diablo 2 as RPG... and now here it is. And you even claim cold hard that this is the thruth and your interpretation is the right one...:

(Also note what is said in the link is different from the first quote... which I meant by saying "your definition")

What. We do have a good case. As Diablo2 is a RPG... And many games that are not RPG's will become that by your definition

Not my definition, I'm afraid... Take it up with the dictionaries if you disagree...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Your definition of a RPG;
RPG means you must role-play, as in putting yourself in the role of another (fictional) character and then make decisions on the basis of that character's perceptions and opinions. What decisions or choices do you make in Diablo? Whether to kill the skeletons with a sword or a fireball? Whether to spend the next skill point on fanaticism or zeal, if you're a paladin? Not much RPG in there for me...

Even more defining of RPG's by you. No "I thinks" here... just cold hard facts

"I think" this is precisely why "I think" I have begun to put "I think" in front of every "I think" statement "I think" I make in this topic - "I think" people seem incapable of grasping the "I think" relatively simple concept that "I think" when I make a statement, "I think" I can only do so on the basis of "I think" my own personal opinions. "I think" That is is considered obvious in most intelligent discussion "I think" I participate in, but "I think" apparently not here "I think" for some reason...

Randomness does not equal choice. Therefore, not an RPG.

Calling "my definition". How odd you hate me for saying the exact same thing... and once again saying what defines a RPG (no "I think") :huh:

"I think" this is yet another personal remark "I think" and would have been taken as such by "I think" most other people "I think" on most other boards.

I guess we should just ignore the matter of all those little quests where you can take LS or DS choices along the way, which all contribute to which outcome you're likely to take in the end... I mean, if we remembered those, then you wouldn't be proved absolutely and totally correct, and so naturally we must ignore them...  :-

My definition further defined.... eh, not... :(" Seems like randomness grabbed you here... and the further convo became Very confusing.

And you once again define RPG without "I think". Just cold hard facts (well; your facts)

"I think" this is already answered as far as I can tell, but "I think" it's reasonable for me to argue that "I think" I don't have to agree that "I think" randomness is a prerequisite for a game being an RPG.