Is a PST remake really that unfeasible?

Ginthaeriel

Now we know that the Planescape is a dead setting, and there's no way we could possibly have a line-by-line PS:T remake. But what if the game was retooled to work in an original setting?

It really doesn't seem that hard. Turn the mortuary into a "Necropolis", change the Upper and Lower Wards into the "Slums" and "Noble's Area". Rename a bunch of characters, take out the portals and merge them into normal methods of transportation (for example, that mini undead maze in sigil with the big necromancer wannabe lich boss at the end- who wanted a drop of your blood- could have been turned into just an underground maze instead of residing in a totally different plane). Crop out all the background setting dialogue that added excessive and boring text to an already text heavy game, allowing the actual good dialogue to shine through (I really don't care for what exactly a "berk" or "cutter" is, not that anyone ever really SAID it that much in the game, asides from Annah and Morte). Etc.

If anything, this gives the freedom for a retooling of the setting and so the creative freedom could improve on the game: maybe even spawning an entire new IP.

With a majority of the design docs completed and written, and most of the text already written and proofread, and even concept art, entire sections of the development could be lifted straight from the existing game. If it's possible, couldn't even the scripting from the dialogue trees be recycled, allowing for entire dialogue trees to move? This would cut back on so much time in the dev cycle, that it would save a ton of money.

Spend the extra resources focusing on making the game better, such as much better graphics, and much better combat. PST was a beautiful game: imagine it rendered in today's technology. This would make the game much more palatable to the wider audience. The "weirdness" of the art and setting is not as much of a hindrance to sales these days. Think about the Legacy of Kain series of games: Raziel, in general character design, resembled a bonier, grosser, naked, neutered TNO and yet this design seemed to be one of the more iconic aspects that lead to the success of that series of games. Furthermore, the engine and combat system could be used in another game, so if the remake fails yet AGAIN in sales, not all is lost.

With so many freed resources, there should be lots of money left to put in cutscenes and hire strong voice casting talent, thus cutting out a LOT of the text. These days, in-engine 3d rendering means that boatloads of cash need not be sacrificed for FMV. Many games, including the GTA games which really have CRAPPY graphics, have all cutscenes rendered with the game engine.

Combine that with all the critical acclaim the game has gotten, and it is hard to imagine any published that wouldn't want to pick it up. Hell, it is considered one of gamespot's top 100 games of all time. Imagine putting THAT on a game trailer! One of the greatest games of all time... is coming back. Torment: Reincarnation. I know I'd buy it. And given that the games been out for nearly half a decade now, and considered a cult classic, the word of mouth should have spread far and wide enough for lots of old fans to create a body of guaranteed sales.

Also, consider that it already has a strong fanbase, and I'd think a pretty rabid one at that, considering the game's mistreatment: It's touted as one of the best games of all time yet failed financially. I would think the fans' urging of their friends to pick it up the second time around would in itself be formidable marketing.

It's a pretty safe bet: guaranteed success due to it's impressive reputation, and low costs due to the fact that most of the work has already been done. Considering all that really needs work is the graphics and other superficial qualities of the game, all which can be recycled for other games, it's basically a no-lose proposition.

Comments?

Edited by Ginthaeriel

The reviews would just say "Buy the original, not this tarted-up imitation."

10 years from now fans will probably produce a Planescape: Torment mod for Dungeon Siege 5 or whatever. I think that will be enough for me.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

My original intent of this thread was to actually explore the financial viability of a PST remake. I've played the original game, and that's enough for me. But I feel it's damn unjust that such talent is not recompensated. Also, I'd think a PST remake, if done well and popularized, would actually breath back life into the RPG genre and reinstate the virtues of a GOOD RPG back into the mainstream.

I don't want a Torment remake, i just want developers to follow and expand on that particular formula and give us a good stream of RPGs that are just as great...

That isn't going to happen, because no publishers are going to fund games like that. If a game developer tells a publisher that they want to make a game based on a formula created by a game that was a financial disaster, their chances of getting funding are slim to none. I would think, however, that if a game developer wants to remake a game with XXX number of awards, only with better graphics, they would seem more likely to accept.

But that's the point. If a remake is successful, then future developers will be inclined to, as you say, "follow this particular formula, and give us a good stream of RPGs that are just as great."

I don't want a Torment remake, i just want developers to follow and expand on that particular formula and give us a good stream of RPGs that are just as great...

That isn't going to happen, because no publishers are going to fund games like that. If a game developer tells a publisher that they want to make a game based on a formula created by a game that was a financial disaster, their chances of getting funding are slim to none.

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords follows on the same particular formula of Planescape: Torment in regards to character development and party NPC interaction.

because no publishers are going to fund games like that.

Publishers haven't got the first clue on where to invest their money, that's why they are always close to financial ruin. Sometimes i wonder why they even bother trying to act like they know what the public wants, given that their buissness strategies are the equivalent of casting a magic missile in the dark (i hope i got the DnD reference right)...

Edited by Lyric Suite

...funny thing 'ere be that, if done correctly, the bugger would sell; mebbe not in DIA-blows numbers, but she would sell, an' sell well imho...but two big things'd 'ave ta be done in retoolin' her first:

1. Make combat a more integral part o' the game.

2. Cut the dialogue in half (unfortunately). Otherwise, this new generation o' gamers won't touch it.

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Maybe they don't have to cut the dialogue in half -- cut some of it, yeah, I guess. But maybe they could get away with changing the presentation. Have more cutscenes, FMVs, and voice-acting to replace the text. As an example, each of the Sensory Stone anecdotes could be a FMV. That would be sweet.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

...funny thing 'ere be that, if done correctly, the bugger would sell; mebbe not in DIA-blows numbers, but she would sell, an' sell well imho...but two big things'd 'ave ta be done in retoolin' her first:

1.  Make combat a more integral part o' the game.

2.  Cut the dialogue in half (unfortunately).  Otherwise, this new generation o' gamers won't touch it.

Then it's not really a remake is it? Besides, reworking portions of it so it becomes acceptable for today's market is likely going against what made it a critical success in the first place. It would sell without being Torment.

1. Combat is alreayd an intregal part of the game. It's a myth to state otherwise.

2. You can still tell the story of PST, and give the same amount of role-playing options and depth and count down the writing.. Though the amount of wriitng never bothered me though it's obvious that some of it was added just to pad the number of words...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1. Combat is alreayd an intregal part  of the game. It's a myth to state otherwise.

...'parently ye has a really hard time readin as well as spellin', so I's'll remind ya that the word "more" was in front o' integral fer a reason...Combat sells, addin' a wee more o' it ta a remade PS:T would help it git over wit' the general PC gamin' populus... <_<

2. You can still tell the story of PST, and give the same amount of role-playing options and depth and count down the writing.. Though the amount of wriitng never bothered me though it's obvious that some of it was added just to pad the number of words...

...methinks insomniac was onta sumthin' wit' more cut scenes, voice o'ers, etc...save the kiddies from poppin' a blood vessel actually readin'... :ermm:

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

A good amount of the text was to show things that the IE wasn't capable of showing. With modern graphics a lot of the description could be cut down and just shown using the engine, and that would solve the lots of text problem. And you wouldn't need to change anything about the names and characters in the game. Sigil still exists, all the factions still exist, they just don't have a setting devoted to it anymore.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

because no publishers are going to fund games like that.

Publishers haven't got the first clue on where to invest their money, that's why they are always close to financial ruin. Sometimes i wonder why they even bother trying to act like they know what the public wants, given that their buissness strategies are the equivalent of casting a magic missile in the dark (i hope i got the DnD reference right)...

Yes....EA is on the brink of bankruptcy.....as is Microsoft.

Sony's hurting too.....who publishes Square games? Themself?

Yes....EA is on the brink of bankruptcy.....as is Microsoft.

Sony's hurting too.....who publishes Square games?  Themself?

The fact you had to rely on mentioning the most sucessful publiscers out there pretty much makes my point, and it's pretty ironic too, considering their sucess is based on sheer luck and in spite of themselves (like EA trying to supress The Sims because it was too 'innovative', clearly a company with a vast understanding of the tastes and trends of their customer base)...

Edited by Lyric Suite

Before the Sims, it was impossible to say whether or not the tastes and trends of their customer base would accept it.

The funny things was, their customer base didn't accept it. The big thing about The Sims was that it ended up expanding the customer base. The game has more female players than male players. Yes, they got lucky...but hindsight is always 20/20.

The fact taht I had to "rely" on the most successful publishers is because there's a heavy consolidation going on right now. Successful, smaller publishing companies have already been swallowed up by them, and the other big ones are even under threat of being bought out by huge companies like EA.

It's a bit presumptuous to say that publishers are always close to financial ruin .

Edited by alanschu

The only game I ever bought that was a remake of an earlier one was Quest for Glory 1. Sierra updated it from EGA to VGA graphics and put in mouse control and so on. I don't know how well it sold, but my guess would be that it was a labour of love rather than a big money-spinner.

Hollywood is going through a big re-make phase at the moment, because quality old films seem to make money. It's possible that the phenomenon will transfer across to gaming, but I don't see Planescape: Torment as first in line for a makeover. Rightly or wrongly, the game has the reputation of being no great financial success and lacking mainstream appeal. Why exert energy shaking that reputation instead of starting with a clean slate?

Better to let fans mod an updated version of PS:T one day.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think a big thing with the Hollywood remakes is that the movies they are remaking are now quite old. And to some, archaic. My friend has a hard time watching a black and white movie. It's just something about him.

Though he has seen some, based on heavy recommendations.

I'm the same. I try to avoid black and white movies if at all possible. That said, some black and white films are so good they gotta be watched no matter what.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.