WoW Addresses Gay-Rights Uproar

kumquatq3

I agree but in WoW it is obvious that is not the case because this person saw it necessary to form a separate guild. She was trying to get away from that sort of behavior which Blizzard was allowing and look what their response was!

Now, they are apologizing. If they were sorry they wouldn't have threatened her and allow such behavior on their MMORPG in the first place.

Online games are filled with lame ass kids who toss the term "gay" all over the place. This is just how it is I'm afraid.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Ban stupid kids for saying that something is "gay"? That's like 4 out of the 5 million players in WoW. :(

Seriously though, it bugs me too, but these are MMORPGS... lamers flock to these games like flies.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

And they need to be taught that such behavior is not allowed.  Game companies such as Blizzard should take responsibility and ban these players.

Yeah, and down goes freedom of speech. :( Banning somebody for using the word "gay" negatively is among the stupidest reasons. "Saying something like: "Why would you do that? That's so gay!" For one thing, the word used in that context has evolved into generally something that is stupid. If you're going to scream "homophobe"! and ban them everytime somebody says something like that, then you really need to reconsider your position.

Edited by Mothman

And they need to be taught that such behavior is not allowed.  Game companies such as Blizzard should take responsibility and ban these players.

Yeah, and down goes freedom of speech. :) Banning somebody for using the word "gay" negatively is among the stupidest reasons. "Saying something like: "Why would you do that? That's so gay!" For one thing, the word used in that context has evolved into generally something that is stupid. If you're going to scream "homophobe"! and ban them everytime somebody says something like that, then you really need to reconsider your position.

So does that mean you are ok with people being racist and attacking religious groups? There used to be pretty common racial slurs, but society has managed to slowly weed them out of the mainstream media. It may infringe on the "Freedom of Speech" but it sure helps with bigotry and discrimination. Using "gay" in a negative way is not a civil right, particularly in an online game with rules and regulations.

LINK

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A gay-rights uproar in the popular "World of Warcraft" online game has spurred the game's maker to review its treatment of gay players.

The game, which draws more than five million players worldwide, was hit by controversy last month after a player was threatened with expulsion from the virtual Warcraft world when she sought to recruit others into her gay-friendly team.

Blizzard Entertainment, the game's maker, apologized last week to the player, Sara Andrews of Nashville, Tenn.

You can't have clans based on your religion, sex or sexiul prefrences.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

This has nothing to do with revealing your sexuality or finding a date online.  People in general chat and in many large guilds openly bash gay people.  The term "gay" is used in a negative way on a daily basis.  This woman was creating a guild to get away from that talk.

I don't have to disclose my sexual preference to be offended by such behavior.  It's not acceptable to bash people based on their race or religion, so why is it ok to make rude comments about being gay?

What made that woman think creating such a guild would help in that predictament?

Personally, i don't buy it, but that's just me...

I don't have to disclose my sexual preference to be offended by such behavior.  It's not acceptable to bash people based on their race or religion, so why is it ok to make rude comments about being gay?

What made that woman think creating such a guild would help in that predictament?

I doubt she saw it as a way of educating homophobic gamers or changing their behaviour. I guess she wanted an environment where everyone agreed not to use 'gay' to mean stupid or make other nasty comments that many gays find offensive. Since this apparently means nothing more than enforcing Blizzard's own anti-discrimination rules, I don't see the problem. Sometimes it's nice to escape to a place where you don't have to pretend it doesn't matter for fear of attracting worse.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I doubt she saw it as a way of educating homophobic gamers or changing their behaviour.  I guess she wanted an environment where everyone agreed not to use 'gay' to mean stupid or make other nasty comments that many gays find offensive.  Since this apparently means nothing more than enforcing Blizzard's own anti-discrimination rules, I don't see the problem.  Sometimes it's nice to escape to a place where you don't have to pretend it doesn't matter for fear of attracting worse.

I don't get it, how are they 'escaping' anything?

They still need to leave the general chat open if they mean to play the game, and by declaring their own sexuality they just made themselves open targets for all the Blizzard trolls.

I think a better course of action would have been joining a strict, mature oriented guild.

During my time with wow i was a member of just such a group and nobody has ever had to deal with immaruty on any level.

Eitherway, they just made things for themselves worst, and broke the rules of conduct to boot.

I don't think use of the term "gay" indicates homophobia. I have homosexual friends that say it in the same context of "that sucks" as well.

I think the word is so over used that it's essentially lost all meaning...but that's just me.

I don't think use of the term "gay" indicates homophobia.  I have homosexual friends that say it in the same context of "that sucks" as well.

Riiight, sure. Perfectly believable. You have gay friends who use the term 'gay' in a negative sense. Maybe in PlanetHomophobe, Alberta there are gays made so completely backward and nutty by virtue of cultural disenfranchisement that they consider their own identity to be a casual pejorative, but living in saner parts of this planet, such wackos are not to be found among gays in or out of the villages, in my experience. I have literally never heard a gay man use 'gay' as a general casual pejorative. And this is not for lack of experience, given my experience in the area is centred on but not limited to several years in Canada's largest gay village. Personally, I think you're just pulling it out of your ass.

gays made so completely backward and nutty by virtue of cultural disenfranchisement

Ironically, isn't that what made the term stick in the first place?

Why do you think people adopted that particular use of the word if gays weren't often, well, gay?

As for you information, i heard homosexuals used the term myself.

Heck, at a party once, one of them (drunk), said this very words: ''why am i so gay? ho, wait a minute, i AM gay...''

:huh:"

Edited by Lyric Suite

Yeah, and down goes freedom of speech.  :luck:  Banning somebody for using the word "gay" negatively is among the stupidest reasons.  "Saying something like: "Why would you do that?  That's so gay!"  For one thing, the word used in that context has evolved into generally something that is stupid.  If you're going to scream "homophobe"!  and ban them everytime somebody says something like that, then you really need to reconsider your position.

Crying for Freedom of Speech is irrelevant in this case since WoW is a privately owned product and Blizzard can set what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable behavior on their private forums, games, and what not. Blizzard isn't the government in case you haven't noticed.

Yeah, and down goes freedom of speech.  :blink:  Banning somebody for using the word "gay" negatively is among the stupidest reasons.  "Saying something like: "Why would you do that?  That's so gay!"  For one thing, the word used in that context has evolved into generally something that is stupid.  If you're going to scream "homophobe"!  and ban them everytime somebody says something like that, then you really need to reconsider your position.

Mass ignorance = acceptable.

I love the logic!

I don't think use of the term "gay" indicates homophobia.  I have homosexual friends that say it in the same context of "that sucks" as well.

Riiight, sure. Perfectly believable. You have gay friends who use the term 'gay' in a negative sense. Maybe in PlanetHomophobe, Alberta there are gays made so completely backward and nutty by virtue of cultural disenfranchisement that they consider their own identity to be a casual pejorative, but living in saner parts of this planet, such wackos are not to be found among gays in or out of the villages, in my experience. I have literally never heard a gay man use 'gay' as a general casual pejorative. And this is not for lack of experience, given my experience in the area is centred on but not limited to several years in Canada's largest gay village. Personally, I think you're just pulling it out of your ass.

Absolutely. I just like to randomly pull stuff out of my behind, just because. After all, if you haven't experienced it, it just isn't possible.

You may think I'm pulling it out of my ass. You'd be thinking wrong.

Words are tricky. It has a lot to do with context. There is a difference between using a word in a humorous way and using it in a negative way. Unfortunately "gay" is one of those words may be funny to use in certain contexts, but can also be very offensive. In order to prevent offending people, I've always recommended that it not be used in a humorous context. I feel the same way about a certain N word that is used racially.