WoW Addresses Gay-Rights Uproar

kumquatq3

Words are tricky.  It has a lot to do with context.  There is a difference between using a word in a humorous way and using it in a negative way.  Unfortunately "gay" is one of those words may be funny to use in certain contexts, but can also be very offensive.  In order to prevent offending people, I've always recommended that it not be used in a humorous context.  I feel the same way about a certain N word that is used racially.

Personally, i like when people get offended by things i say... :lol:

Yeah, and down goes freedom of speech.  :wub:  Banning somebody for using the word "gay" negatively is among the stupidest reasons.  "Saying something like: "Why would you do that?  That's so gay!"  For one thing, the word used in that context has evolved into generally something that is stupid.  If you're going to scream "homophobe"!  and ban them everytime somebody says something like that, then you really need to reconsider your position.

Mass ignorance = acceptable.

I love the logic!

No, genius. :) My point was that with it being as pervasive as it is, it'd be impossible and pointless to ban everyone who uses the term "gay" negatively.

It isn't impossible or pointless to ban people who use the term gay as a slander. The point is to show that it is not acceptable, and it is not impossible, GMs are in game all the time, and have the ability to kick anyone they see using it or if there is sufficient evidence pertaining to an individual. You may think you had a point, but your point was really that "because the disease is so widespread, we shouldn't treat it."

Try again.

Edited by Shadowstrider

It isn't impossible or pointless to ban people who use the term gay as a slander.  The point is to show that it is not acceptable, and it is not impossible, GMs are in game all the time, and have the ability to kick anyone they see using it or if there is sufficient evidence pertaining to an individual.  You may think you had a point, but your point was really that "because the disease is so widespread, we shouldn't treat it."

Try again.

Actually no, I think I did have a point. :thumbsup: You're just being gay about the whole issue.

Retard means to slow or impede progress.  If something is retarded, it means its progress has been slowed.

It isn't bigotted.

Actually, "retard", when describing a person, is more of a derogatory term, also usually offensive when applied to describe the mentally handicapped. ;) That's common knowledge, unless you're living in fantasy land. Also, if you think I'm making this up, LINK

Edited by Mothman

Naw, they just have to filter "gay" ... :D

Sexual discrimination! BAN HIM!

Um, I trust you realise I was adocating banning the troglodytes from using "gay" as a derogatory comment, and not for genuine uses ... after all, homosexual wouldn't be banned.

Then again, the Mods could just track all uses, and give warnings for inappropriate uses. It could be the best social ameliorator ever created ...! :cool:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'd be very surprised (to the point of outright disbelief...similar to Yst), if these people never used the phrase "That's retarded" when something silly happened.

After working with mentally disabled students, I conditioned myself to remove that word from my vocabulary. I don't think it's cool to take any word that defines a special group and use it as a slur. It belittles those people and whoever you are throwing the term at.

I have no problem calling someone an idiot. That term is designated specifically for idiots, and so it doesn't belittle anyone other than the person being an idiot.

It isn't Blizzard's place to suddenly become the "moral educator" on the internet. Banning everyone who uses the word "gay" negatively for one thing will not solve the problem. There will always be people doing it. Then of course you'd have to ban those who say anything even remotely offensive, such as saying things like "retarded" negatively, of saying "Jesus Christ" as a swear word. Blizzard is not an ethicator, it's a business. In fact, one could easily say Blizzard shouldn't have to apologize, because it's their game community, and they are free to do what they wish. And if you think I'm advocating Blizzard to permit people to say horribly offensive things online, I'm not. I'm saying I think it's stupid and pointless to ban them for trite things such as what we're debating here.

And I'll say it again, silencing those whom you disagree with will never solve the problem. That was the lesson of Fahrenheit 451. A person's views will, in the vast majority of circumstances, not be changed by the policies enforced by a game company. Blizzard will not cleanse the population of homophobes just by hitting the might "ban" button. The only way to counter bad ideas is with better ideas. They are a business, for one thing, not a school. Maybe in a more ideal world something like this might work, but not so now.

Edited by Mothman

So why do message boards employ the same process?

If all the ill-users of English were banned form their favourite game, or even had their levels docked (or even retarded by extra XP requirements), that might help ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT