Is Maya good???

The 3 most commonly used programs for building 3D graphics is

3D Studio MAX by Autodesk

Maya by Alias

XSI by Softimage

Youll do ok no matter which one you use but MAX is most commonly used when making game graphics.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The 3 most commonly used programs for building 3D graphics is

3D Studio MAX by Autodesk

Maya by Alias

XSI by Softimage

Youll do ok no matter which one you use but MAX is most commonly used when making game graphics.

Dude, For Maya,3Ds Max or XSI learning and studying, I can highly recommend that you give www.3dbuzz.com a vist. And I tell you this, if you leave that place, for the next... Lets say... 24 hours of net surfing or computer exploring, then you can call me a Mossa TheDonkeyAss!

Serously that place is just full of intelligent people, good learner stuff, VTMs "Video Training Moduls" and they recently made a special VTM set for Maya especially, which I didnt watch because I am not a Maya user, nor want to be. BUT! They are making 3Ds Max stuff soon, and even through they have made old stuff about 3Ds Max, they can quite help anyone getting started with the newer version of Max... I just means its amazing place for learners, you should definatly check it out.

From Your Friend, Mossa TheGreat... :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How much would full versions of Maya or 3DMax run for? Judging by other dev tools, they seem like they would be a bit spendy. Do they offer student versions or something along those lines for a reduced price?

Edited by quadrilogy

3DS MAX 8 single license is a little more than $4000, a network license is a little more expensive.

Maya 7 is priced at $7000 for the Unlimited edition, the regular should cost about the same as MAX.

Zbrush, which you WILL need to make graphics for games like Quake4 or UT3 is a measly $489 for a full version

BUT a student license will run at about $150 for MAX and 350 for Maya

And theres also Softimage XSI which retails from $450-7000 depending on package with a student license at $175. Its not aswidely used but Ive heard that it is better than both MAX and Maya.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

bertiedance.jpg

Meet Bertie. Hes not quite finished* yet but he could never have been made using only MAX.

* needs more work on the envelopes, the colour texture and I could have put him in a nicer pose but I just pulled a few bones and left it at that for show

I believe the educational editions of Maya and MAX are completely functional but stripped of a few advanced features like ragdoll. The trial version of Zbrush is gimped so it cant be used together(no importing meshes) with a program like MAX, making it useless for anything but playing around in, which is sort of the point of a trial version anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Most programs will give you "You appear to have altered your system clock, No soup for you!!!"

I remember being able to modify the clock forward in time by a few years, then installing some software or another, and putting it back to the present. That would net me a few years.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)