Freedom of Speech.

Lucius

Oh. Well, I've plumbed my knowledge. I was only talking straight numbers. It's all a bit like voodoo to me, but the results are usually not terribly different than the polls would sugget, so someone must know what they're doing. Of course, I took the UK poll as a net positive, even thought there were some disturbing bits in it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i should have said "these aren't fair statements" as they imply a lack of precision which is not necessarily true...

polls fall apart when there is an underlying bias that is unknown to the poll taker. this could be a result of when the poll is taken or even a result of the questions themselves, which are often written to force certain types of answers (good poll takers go out of their way to create unbiased questions, though they still creep in).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

statistically speaking, it only takes a few dozen people to get a decent representation of very large populations.

certainly, however, the larger the sample size, the easier it will be to make various claims.  also, the confidence interval can become increasingly smaller with larger sample sizes, but larger sizes do not necessarily guarantee better results.

however, saying "500 is a good number" or "polls only survey a tiny slice" really aren't valid statements.  first of all, randomness is key in any poll.  second, removal of bias, which is pretty complicated and sometimes a subjective art.  the sample set is often biased for a variety of reasons, and knowing how to remove that bias is key to valid numbers.

in the end, as noted, the numbers from polls are only as good as those conducting the polls and analyzing the results. 

It was a telephone survey. Here's the actual survey:

http://www.icmresearch.co.uk/reviews/2006/...ims%20feb06.asp

The Telegraph is hardly the bastion of journalistic standards. Can you say incitement to riot and sensationalism to sell headlines with me boys and girls.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Telegraph is hardly the bastion of journalistic standards. Can you say incitement to riot and sensationalism to sell headlines with me boys and girls.

They're the only paper which consistently asks experts in military science to write their defence articles. Unlike some papers. But yes, not precisely balanced. Financial Times ftw!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy