Obsidian at IGN

funcroc

Surely PNJ is 'signed' already?  Isn't that what happened right before they 'announced' it and put up the forum?

Well, Obsidian was determined to do an IP so they could have conceivably started working on a project with just a verbal agreement. Because, one way or the other, they were determined to do an IP.

That's my take anyway. The project that is yet to be signed is probably PNJ.

Excellent. The start up screen for NWN 2 looks great.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Be nice people: J.E Sawyer is lurking in this thread :ph34r:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Surely PNJ is 'signed' already?  Isn't that what happened right before they 'announced' it and put up the forum?

Well, Obsidian was determined to do an IP so they could have conceivably started working on a project with just a verbal agreement. Because, one way or the other, they were determined to do an IP.

What a huuuuuge risk that would be. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't signed....otherwise we probably wouldn't even know about it because it could possibly never see the light of day.

....otherwise we probably wouldn't even know about it because it could possibly never see the light of day.

That hasn't stopped them before.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Are you referring to Jefferson and Van Buren?

Yes.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'm pretty sure that those games were signed and had received funding (if just from Interplay). When your entire company folds though, naturally things are going to get cancelled.

Investing a large amount of resources into a game on a verbal agreement is particularly risky though.

I'm pretty sure that those games were signed and had received funding (if just from Interplay).  When your entire company folds though, naturally things are going to get cancelled.

Investing a large amount of resources into a game on a verbal agreement is particularly risky though.

Yes, but just the same. The games/projects were announced and then they were canned.

Yes, but just the same. The games/projects were announced and then they were canned.

It's not the same at all. One company (Black Isle) disappeared because they no longer had the funds to do anything about a game because Interplay was going bankrupt!

Obsidian is not in that same situation at all. It's one thing to announce a project and then cancel it because they are going out of business. It's another thing to announce a project and "cancel" it because they were not able to make a deal with a publisher. Both Jefferson and Van Buren had a publisher already! All I'm saying is that I doubt they'd even make an announcement (let alone state things such as it being a console game) without a publisher. They'd probably just call it an "unannounced project" like they (and every other developer) typically do.

All I'm saying is that I doubt they'd even make an announcement (let alone state things such as it being a console game) without a publisher.  They'd probably just call it an "unannounced project" like they (and every other developer) typically do.

It is being done, but very rarely. Usually this is quite a bit in the process then to seek any potential publishers (S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Submarine Titans, Crashday just to call a few)

Still.  They'd need money for it.

I just can't see money being invested in something over a mere verbal agreement.

I have never heard of a publisher agreeing without seeing abit of the game. Thus increasing the risk that devs. put alot of fluff (graphics) in their production to please these publishers, where-after there is not enough time for the actual load :lol:

I have never heard of a publisher agreeing without seeing abit of the game. Thus increasing the risk that devs. put alot of fluff (graphics) in their production to please these publishers, where-after there is not enough time for the actual load :(

I think that is right. PNJ, up to this point, has been about making a playable demo for the money men.

All I'm saying is that I doubt they'd even make an announcement (let alone state things such as it being a console game) without a publisher.  They'd probably just call it an "unannounced project" like they (and every other developer) typically do.

It is being done, but very rarely. Usually this is quite a bit in the process then to seek any potential publishers (S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Submarine Titans, Crashday just to call a few)

Still.  They'd need money for it.

I just can't see money being invested in something over a mere verbal agreement.

I have never heard of a publisher agreeing without seeing abit of the game. Thus increasing the risk that devs. put alot of fluff (graphics) in their production to please these publishers, where-after there is not enough time for the actual load :(

Most games do need design documents and preproduction to entice publishers. I just don't feel PNJ is in this state. I'd say their third, unannounced project probably is though.

If that's the case though, then I doubt there's any money, and there isn't much certainty in the game coming out. If no publishers like it, then nothing was accomplished by making the PNJ forum, or for any of the developers to even talk about it. Why are there QA people working on it? And where did Obsidian get all of this money to work on it? Has it been completely self-funded??

In the mean time Mr. Sawyer will laugh at us, knowing the actual truth.

Edited by alanschu

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

All that Perrier and only one San Pellegrino. I thought better of Obsidian entertainment.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What's with all the sparkling water?

They're trying to persuade us that NWN2 was not created in a drunken haze, and we believe them, yes we do. :lol:

Nice TV.

Interesting that some of us look at that and see the cool TV first, and others the title screen of the game.

Nice shirt.

Nice sign.

I'd buy one of each. Where's the online shop, Obsidian?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)