Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart at RPG Codex forum

funcroc

What I like to see in an action CRPG is:

Planescape: Torment character Interaction (and legnth to please) fully voiced, Neverwinter Nights 2/Fallout 2 style RPG stats and custimization, Ninja Gaiden combat responsiveness but with a full party of 4 to 6 people that can be player controlled  through hotkey or AI control, all set in an original cyberpunk/post apocalyptic setting.

And cross platform for the PC, PS3, X Box 360, and Nitendo Revolution with individualized GUI for optimized performance on each platform.

I think you missed the part about staying in business.

:)"

given: ps:t was a commercial failure

is some clowns that will argue this, but they is just doing the denial thing to a ridiculous degree. however, looks at kotor and compare to ps:t and see just how many similarities the games had... including lame combat. similarities in character development and havings a single identifiable protagonist and similarities of themes and even the dammed amnesia thing.

kotor were successful or no?

would kotor have been less successful if the combat had been improved or the rule-system were made more robust? maybe, but we ain't convinced.

ps:t + good combat = commercial failure

bs

the bis developers and the ps:t fans has been lying to themselves and making excuses for years.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd agree with Magical Volo if NPC AI in RPGs weren't mindnumbingly stupid.

Combat in the Call of Duty series is infinitely more 'immersive' to me than any combat system any RPG has ever tried.

Dead on.

The combat in most RPGs is just...well, it's more for strategical purposes, rather than any sense of immersion, which is one major thing people seem to like to bitch about when it comes to the genre.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I am not saying to rehack the PST plot nor the same style in which it is presented, but have the same level of character interaction and character depth in the NPCs.  I think it could be done, should be done, and have it be one of the games that spans all 4 platforms and caters the GUI for each one so it works perfectly on its respective system would be a major innovation in game design.

I didn't say remake PST, but the perfect game you are asking for is too expensive and too risky to produce.

As always, the only console company with any sense is Nintendo. They dont steal games off the PC market and rumour has it you might be able to buy a "nintendo card" that will let you play on your PC

The real question is are they even going to be around much longer... US market at least. I have not hear much positive buzz about their next gen and the PR is a fraction of what sony and MS is spending. I really cant see nintendo sticking around in the console market much longer.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

9th June 2005 - 09:24 AM

The last time Urquhart logged in to this web forum.

kinda funny that fergie is more concerned with rpg codex opinions than your or Gromnir's, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9th June 2005 - 09:24 AM

The last time Urquhart logged in to this web forum.

kinda funny that fergie is more concerned with rpg codex opinions than your or Gromnir's, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

No, just frightening. I always pegged Feargus as a reasonable sort of fellow. That he values RPGCodex more than Obsidian's own message boards strikes me as odd. Oh well, as long as he doesn't go all "Codex" and combine snobbery with a healthy dose of stupidity, I'll be happy. It's the games that are important.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"Come on, people. he posts at the Codex once in the blue moon. It's not like he's a regular there. Geez"

Actually, he sends everyone at the Codex a PM every Friday afternoon at 3:41. He tells us how much he loves us and what he dreamed about the night before. It's kinda creepy.

The Jedi Knight combat may be realistic, but it is also twitchfest 2006.  I hate that kind of combat, especially when it is fast-paced and there are friendly NPCs running around with AI stupid enough for them to walk into your swinging weapon.  I'll take KotOR's combat, if enemies were more difficult.

Thanks.

Agreed.

The reason I play KOTOR and not Jedi Knight is because of the fact I don't want to have to rely on my reflexes to get through an area.

The furthest I'll go in terms of "action-y" combat in a RPG is what Bioware did with Jade Empire. And that's only if it's insisted that more action-related combat is a must.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

would kotor have been less successful if the combat had been improved or the rule-system were made more robust?  maybe, but we ain't convinced. 

bs

the bis developers and the ps:t fans has been lying to themselves and making excuses for years.

HA! Good Fun!

wait what

Though I think it should be 1 Console only, 1 PC/Console cross paltform, and 1 PC only.

that would make you and me happy Hades, but i don't know how well that would do for money.

The Jedi Knight combat may be realistic, but it is also twitchfest 2006.  I hate that kind of combat, especially when it is fast-paced and there are friendly NPCs running around with AI stupid enough for them to walk into your swinging weapon.  I'll take KotOR's combat, if enemies were more difficult.

Agreed.

The reason I play KOTOR and not Jedi Knight is because of the fact I don't want to have to rely on my reflexes to get through an area.

The furthest I'll go in terms of "action-y" combat in a RPG is what Bioware did with Jade Empire. And that's only if it's insisted that more action-related combat is a must.

I agree with SS and GoA.

isn't the xbox 360 a computer any ways... its not much different.. not sure what the language is going to be. but it looks like a mini computer.. hell just look at the stats on it... but if it is why would it be so hard to make the games for it and pc.. I am sure the language is different but on stats its a small hopped up computer..

would kotor have been less successful if the combat had been improved or the rule-system were made more robust?  maybe, but we ain't convinced. 

bs

HA! Good Fun!

wait what

josh ain't a slow guy, so we thinks he is playing dumb for effect.

ps:t had some really terrible writing in places, and a setting that did not appeal to mot gamers, and individual dialogues that were too long and there were not enough combat. however, those things that ps:t fans claimed that were so great, including the highly developed character interaction, were things that kotor managed to do as well... and kotor were succesful.

like it or not, bioware essentially remade ps:t in a more popular setting and simply added more appealing combats and shorter individual dialogues... and they made lots of money doing it.

HA! Good Fun!

ps:t had some really terrible writing in places, and a setting that did not appeal to mot gamers, and individual dialogues that were too long and there were not enough combat. however, those things that ps:t fans claimed that were so great, including the highly developed character interaction, were things that kotor managed to do as well... and kotor were succesful.

like it or not, bioware essentially remade ps:t in a more popular setting and simply added more appealing combats and shorter individual dialogues... and they made lots of money doing it.

Your comparison is selective, though. For example, PS:T's story and KOTOR's story - personally, the KOTOR story was crap. Most others probably don't feel as negative about it, but a comparison is still forced.

Same with the setting of Sigil, and how it was executed. Maybe it wasn't popular, but it was one of the reasons for why PS:T became so critically acclaimed.

Oh, and you also seem to equate "poor writing in some cases" with "poor writing" - or, rather, equate "PS:T with less words" with "KOTOR dialogue". To which I would heartily disagree.

bs

HA! Good Fun!

wait what

josh ain't a slow guy, so we thinks he is playing dumb for effect.

HA! Good Fun!

Remade PS:T in a more popular setting? Hmmm, just finished playing KOTOR, and I wouldn't say that.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"Same with the setting of Sigil, and how it was executed. Maybe it wasn't popular, but it was one of the reasons for why PS:T became so critically acclaimed. "

who cares about critical acclaim? in the grand scheme of game development, all the accolades mean nothing if people do not buy your game. sounds like you is a fan of planescape setting. great. unfortunately, many people was turned off by the setting... period. is not really a debatable point.

there is this perception of ps:t that doesn't really match reality. the writing of ps:t was, at times, fantastic. the story as a whole was pretty average, but various encounters and characters were/are unmatched. example: ravel, in all her incarnations, was absolutely incredible... and is still unique as far as complexity and depth o' character in a crpg goes. unfortunately much of ps:t were simply coming 'cross as narcissistic bellybutton contemplation and childishly oversimplified philosophizing. kotr managed to explore many of the same themes and characters w/o all the pretension and hackneyed writing.

*chuckle*

the funny thing is that what some ps:t fans laud in their favorite game, they despised in kotor2. some of the same kinda crappy over-the-top and lugubrious dialogues showed up in kotor2 and such stuff made people wince. no doubt some of the bis/obsidian developers were surprised by the different reception their fantastic writing got.

and yeah, we is selective in noting the parallels

God, how I hate games in Star Wars setting! >_<

Why it has to be so popular?

much like d&d forgotten realms, there has been good crpgs made in star wars, and bad games made in star wars. am not a fan of star wars or fr, but am recognizing that a talented and creative bunch of developers can find or create something of value in settings that Gromnir is nt a fan of.

*shrug*

people like fr and star wars, and games is getting too damned short nowadays for a developer to honestly create a genuinely new world that can really capture the 'magination of the average gamer anyway. if a player isn't imagining himself into your game before he plays it , then you, the developer, is probably doomed. as short as they is, and as they needs include a substantial 'mount of gameplay that ain't gonna reinforce story and worldbuilding efforts, crpgs is gonna be more likely to stick to tolkienesque archetypes and to established settings.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir, there have been only 2 Star Wars crpgs and one was decent enough while the other was average at best.

galaxies is also a crpg, though it is a mmorpg. however we does recognize that while there has been loads of star wars games made, there has only been a couple of single player star wars crpgs made... regardless as to how hades or Gromnir would rate them.

HA! Good Fun!