Palestinian elections

Meshugger

Terrorist organization wins the palistinian elections.

This might turn out to something interesting....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi, who apparently was re-elected on a moderate platform, said the Hamas victory was a dramatic turning point. She said she is concerned the militants will now impose their fundamentalist social agenda and lead the Palestinians into international isolation.

Hopefully they will realize they need to work with the international community and not force themselves into isolation. It will just make things tough on themselves.

quote taken from msnbc

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Swedish analysts/pundits are saying that perhaps Hamas will go the same way as the Irish Sinn Fein and eventually drop all terrorist goals.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Swedish analysts/pundits are saying that perhaps Hamas will go the same way as the Irish Sinn Fein and eventually drop all terrorist goals.

Eventually being the key word here. It will probably happen, but it could be next year or fifty years from now. The comparison with Sinn Fein/IRA is valid, but not quite as unproblematic as some commentators are suggesting.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I wonder what the new prime-minister's speech will be: "From now on, the borders to Israel don't exist, it's our land now, and always has been", or "...and infidels of our holy land, convert or die."

A scenario like that would be interesting, to say the least.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wonder what the new prime-minister's speech will be: "From now on, the borders to Israel don't exist, it's our land now, and always has been", or "...and infidels of our holy land, convert or die."

A scenario like that would be interesting, to say the least.

Undoubtedly it will be the latter.

But this all hapened with the PLO 20years ago. They went from a listed terrorist organisation to an aknowledged political organisation. Now Hamas is and has been much, much more aggressive and extreme than PLO ever was but it might happen with them too.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dunno. Very bewildering from my personal perspective. In the past year, Israel took serious heat from its own citizens by forcefully clearing all Gaza Settlements and handing the territory back to the Palestinians... without requesting a single concession.

First the Palestinians rewarded the gesture by lining rockets up to fire into Israeli cities; now they have put into power a group that still maintains a policy of the violent destruction of the country of Israel. The peace process is officially dead.

Now it's almost guaranteed that Israel will elect a Netenyahu clone *shudder* to replace Sharon, blood will flow, West Bank can pound sand before it sees another territorial concession, and I'd be willing to bet Israeli troops will be back in Gaza before the end of the year.

Not good for either side, frankly. Very sad.

I dunno.  Very bewildering from my personal perspective.  In the past year, Israel took serious heat from its own citizens by forcefully clearing all Gaza Settlements and handing the territory back to the Palestinians... without requesting a single concession.

First the Palestinians rewarded the gesture by lining rockets up to fire into Israeli cities; now they have put into power a group that still maintains a policy of the violent destruction of the country of Israel.  The peace process is officially dead.

Now it's almost guaranteed that Israel will elect a Netenyahu clone *shudder* to replace Sharon, blood will flow, West Bank can pound sand before it sees another territorial concession, and I'd be willing to bet Israeli troops will be back in Gaza before the end of the year.

Not good for either side, frankly.  Very sad.

All this for what exactly?

I wouldnt expect it to go that fast. These types of conflicts typicly lasts around 80 years or more. The conflicts die down as society changes in such a way that armed conflict no longer seem like a viable alternative.

Time will tell, but I stand by my prediction that a right-wing non-concessionist will replace Sharon and Israeli troops will re-occupy Gaza before the end of the year.

I guess I should have figured this was coming when Palestinians broke into public celebration after Sharon had his stroke.

Time will tell, but I stand by my prediction that a right-wing non-concessionist will replace Sharon and Israeli troops will re-occupy Gaza before the end of the year.

It's going to be a very interesting Israeli election, that's for sure. It's possible that Hamas will try to influence the election, by either continuing or ending its 'ceasefire', but whether they would actually prefer a hardliner or a centrist in Tel Aviv is anyone's guess. I haven't seen much on the news yet about how ordinary Israelis are reacting to the election results.

I doubt you can find a single Israeli happy about this result, but here is their official response.

In its first official comment on the poll result, Israel urged the    European Union to take a firm stance against the establishment of a Palestinian "terrorist government."

Leaders of the EU, the biggest donor to the aid-dependent Palestinian Authority, said earlier that Hamas must renounce violence and recognize Israel or risk international isolation.

It's going to be a very interesting Israeli election, that's for sure.  It's possible that Hamas will try to influence the election, by either continuing or ending its 'ceasefire', but whether they would actually prefer a hardliner or a centrist in Tel Aviv is anyone's guess.

Unless Hamas' official policy has changed, their stated goal is the destruction of Israrel. That being the case, I doubt Israeli elections matter to them one way or the other.

I haven't seen much on the news yet about how ordinary Israelis are reacting to the election results.

CNN: Many Israelis Despair at Hamas Win

I doubt you can find a single Israeli happy about this result...

I'm sure that's true. However, I can imagine an Israeli looking at the results and thinking, "Big deal. One lot of terrorists replaces another lot of terrorists." The western media is making a big deal of this because we tend to see Hamas and Fatah as very different, but I'd like to know if Israelis agree with the distinction.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

The reason for the strong Hamas election has more to do with the system of corruption and favoratism that Arafat used to control FATAH, than any great shift in movement in the Palestinean public's view of Israel.

On one hand their retoric clearly states that they will make no concessions whatsoever, on the other hand they realistically know that long term results come from negotiations.

I don't think there is a single Hamas member that honestly thinks Israel is going to up and disapear from one day to the next, or that they are successfully going make them do so.

The question is whether they are more interested in furthering their own organisation than the interests of the Palestinean people.

The campaign by Israel to hamper Hamas canditates certainly helped them a great deal.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.