NWN2 is absolutely PC exclusive?

Blank

Lets take a KotOR for example. Now I know I am not the only one who wished KotOR had the quick key slots that NWN 1 had. It would have made using items, switching weapons, and the such a lot easier than they way they did it. I mean the system they used for the X Box was fine on the X Box but it just didn't translate well on the PC and was a step backwards from Neverwinter Nights.

Another thing about porting that developers need to realize that the console audience is different from the PC audience. Of course both groups want the best possible game but they have slightly different views of that would be. When making ports the developers and publishers need to make adjustments that will fit their target audience. Now I am not saying that a Console and PC versions of tha same game be completely different but they should have a minor aspects that gives these two audiences what they are looking for. The PC audience may it be more complex weapon systems in Deus Ex Invisible War while the Console junkies want more action with little worries about ammo types. That sort of small things.

That's awfully judgemental and self-righteous.

I'd suggest getting off your high horse.

What is wrong with it? Buying NWN only for the OC is like buying BattleField 2 only for SinglePlayer...

A waste of your cash...

Because the intention of Battlefield 2 is a multiplayer online FPS.

You called into question the intelligence of people that purchased the game exclusively for the OC. Which, according to Bioware, is the majority of people that purchased the original NWN game.

Many people enjoyed the previous adventures Bioware made. It's not unreasonable to expect that people would have bought the game hoping for a similiar experience. According to Bioware, many people bought the game with the intentions of a rich single player experience. Their intent was to try to amend that with Hordes of the Underdark, as they had received complaints that their OC (and SoU too IIRC) did not live up to their previous efforts.

Another thing about porting that developers need to realize that the console audience is different from the PC audience.  Of course both groups want the best possible game but they have slightly different views of that would be.  When making ports the developers and publishers need to make adjustments that will fit their target audience.  Now I am not saying that a Console and PC versions of tha same game be completely different but they should have a minor aspects that gives these two audiences what they are looking for.  The PC audience may it be more complex weapon systems in Deus Ex Invisible War while the Console junkies want more action with little worries about ammo types.  That sort of small things.

Yeah, good point here.

I really think that porting Morrowind to the console was a mistake. Not that I ever played it on the PC, but you could just tell and FEEL that MW was created for a specific PC audience. The pacing and tone of the game did not fit in with the Xbox crowd. I think the game was much more effective on the PC and I may have actually finished the game had I played it on my PC instead of my Xbox.

Some games are designed for consoles and some are designed for the PC. Porting doesn't often work that way because gamers in either platform want different things out of their games.

My only question is,if my computer has over 1000 RAM and runs Guild Wars, World of Warcraft and City of Heroes smootly, will it be able to handle NWN 2?

Pre-release, Bio kept constantly hyping about the 4 pillars of NWN - the toolset, the DM client, multiplayer, and the SINGLEPLAYER CAMPAIGN.

They kept insisting that people who would buy the game for just that last part would be satisfied.

They sure were.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"Pre-release, Bio kept constantly hyping about the 4 pillars of NWN - the toolset, the DM client, multiplayer, and the SINGLEPLAYER CAMPAIGN."

Not at first. Only when BG Freaks (like me) continually harassed them on message boards they did.

"They kept insisting that people who would buy the game for just that last part would be satisfied."

And, most who did as they were the ones who drove the sales for the game as well as the expansions.

"They sure were."

Yes, they were. Let's not try to make it seem that the same 2 dozen or so people who spam the same opinions (including me) speak for everyone who bought the game.

There's a reason why NWN has sold review numbers both professional 9these can't relaly be trusted), and by fans.

R00fles!

Just look at hades who supposedly hates the OC yet he's played it MULTIPLE TIMES including just recently after its been out for 4 years. If he were 100% honest he'd amdit that thoguh the OC is not perfect that it was an enjoyable gaming experience. ;)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I would just like to remind you that there is no such thing as a PC exclusive. Games where the publisher, in order to sell more console units, refrains from releasing a PC version in an attempt to force/lure PC users to purchase a console, are correctly named "console exclusives".

Also, a PC game will be playable by the majority whereas a console game will only be playable by the minority who owns the console required.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"I would just like to remind you that there is no such thing as a PC exclusive."

Sure there is. NWN is just one example of this phenomena known as 'PC exclusive'.

Huh? Where does BIO or JE come in with NWN2? WOWSERS!

JE may be x-box exclusive; but guess what BIO is making DA which is , guess what, PC EXCLSUIVE!

Imagine that. BIO, like all good companies including Obsidian, try not to limit themslves.

Indeed. And a large part of NWN's effort went to making it a perfect Online and Modding experience, with the toolkit and DM-mode and such...

When you read previews and interviews with BioWare before the release of NWN you should have known that it wouldn't had such a SP part as a BG 2

You called into question the intelligence of people that purchased the game exclusively for the OC.  Which, according to Bioware, is the majority of people that purchased the original NWN game.

Many people enjoyed the previous adventures Bioware made.  It's not unreasonable to expect that people would have bought the game hoping for a similiar experience.  According to Bioware, many people bought the game with the intentions of a rich single player experience.  Their intent was to try to amend that with Hordes of the Underdark, as they had received complaints that their OC (and SoU too IIRC) did not live up to their previous efforts.

Indeed. And if they would have read up about NWN before buying they would have known that it wouldn't be such a game as (for example) BG2. And thus the many people who though they would get such an experience thought wrong, but still bought it...

And if you have to release a Expension like HoU to please the "previous game players" there had to be something wrong with the SP-part...

Or with the players actually expecting to get a BG2-like experience even if all points hint otherwise...

Edited by Battlewookiee

The PC is the mother unit. NWN2 is not "pc exlusive" it just isnt ported to alternative formats like the Xbox360. Just like how a program written on a Mac and if noone makes an UNIX version is not a "Macintosh exclusive", it just isnt ported to other formats.

The phrase "(something) exclusive" refers only to a game that is DELIBERATELY kept from being released on a format that is available to the majority in order to encourage sales of the particular unit you make the game exclusive for.

...but in a pure semantic sense, "pc exclusive" is a correct expression. Just like how my left twinkie toe is exclusive to my left foot.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Indeed. And if they would have read up about NWN before buying they would have known that it wouldn't be such a game as (for example) BG2. And thus the many people who though they would get such an experience thought wrong, but still bought it...

Closer to its final stages of development, Bioware actually focused more on exposing the singleplayer portion. This was particularly true in interviews. While anyone following the development cycle would have noticed that the amount of resources placed in delivering the multiplayer, toolset and Dungeon Master ability would likely take precedence over the singleplayer campaign, it's not really too dificult to surmise why many went into Neverwinter Nights's official campaign expecting a game in the same tradition of what Bioware had done before.

Also, a PC game will be playable by the majority whereas a console game will only be playable by the minority who owns the console required.

That's one of the stupidest things I've seen on here for quite some time. There are people out there still buying used P3 500MHz machines with crap video cards because all they want is Internet access. I doubt you'd consider any recent game running on those machines as "playable."

Furthermore, it only makes a difference if the installed base you described were avid video gamers. As someone that only plays PC games and hasn't owned a new console in 7 years, I still recognize that the installed base of console gamers far exceeds the amount of computer gamers.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be this trend towards consoles that you keep harping your hatred towards.

Indeed. And a large part of NWN's effort went to making it a perfect Online and Modding experience, with the toolkit and DM-mode and such...

When you read previews and interviews with BioWare before the release of NWN you should have known that it wouldn't had such a SP part as a BG 2

Except you're making an assumption that the majority of people would have extensively followed the game in preproduction. Then, you are making an assumption that they would be interested in this modding and online experience. The fact of the matter is, as Bioware themselves have stated the majority of people that purchased the game, bought it for the single player.

I would wager that it is an insiginifcant minority of people that actively follow the development of a game on the internet.

And if you have to release a Expension like HoU to please the "previous game players" there had to be something wrong with the SP-part...

Or with the players actually expecting to get a BG2-like experience even if all points hint otherwise...

Seriously...are you daft? You try to make arguments out of something that just isn't there. It's not an admission that there "had to be something wrong with the SP-part." Stop generalizing your experiences over the majority of gamers. Bioware had made quality single player campaigns in the past, and even if it was publicly stated that "it's not going to be as good as BG2" (I doubt they said it like that anyways), I can guarantee that the customers were hoping it would be better than what it was.

Your grasping at thin air, when Bioware themselves have stated, numerous times, that the primary audience of the NWN game were single player gamers. It doesn't matter what convoluted idea you have, or what impression you had when following the game. You're wrong.

Edited by alanschu

Yeah, i don't want a port immediately when the pc release comes out, but something like what happened with Bungie giving the reins of Halo to Gearbox Software in order to put it on PC. I just want the opposite to happen with NWN2; I just want a port from PC to the 360.

Some people liked Morrowind for xbox, including my brother, so i know that putting a pc game on a console can't totally ruin a game.

It would be money-wise right? they'd have one buyer for sure (obviously i am not enough, but still...)

now who am i supposed to spam and complain to concerning this? i think it was, Atari, right?

I know many people that loved Morrowind on the XBOX.

When I was working in a restaurant a few years ago, pretty much the entire kitchen was playing it.

And yes Blank, Atari would be the best company to contact. Good luck.

Edited by alanschu