Well my intrest in NWN2 just tripled =)

Darque

Is Warlock a prestige class?

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

"Off topic, but holy crap do you play NWN a lot Volo."

Yes, yes I do. :)

"A red dragon is not weak. It would seem that the game is flawed ithen if a familiar can survive."

Not really. As I have been trying to point out through this entire thread, familiars are no longer the weaklings of 2E. In 3E (and 3.5) they ar every useful at all levels. That said, breath weapon or no, an ancient red dragon would completely oblireate a familiar. Or animal companion. Or fighter. Or cleric. Or mage. or rogue. You get the idea. LOL

Just because the familiar cna survive one aspect of the red dragon offensive repetoire doesn't mean it actually has a chance.

P.S. NWN RULES ALL! NWN2 SHOULD RULE ALL X2!!!

edit: Euix, no, it's a Base Class in 3.5 supposedly.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Errr...is your math sound?

Why would you take max damage and divide it by the total HP?

I mean, if Max damage = min damage = 120, then the only chance it has for survival if its HP is less than or equal to 120 is if the evasion roll succeeds.

You'd need to do a whole schlock of work, determining the probabilities of each damage time and all that for yours to work.  I mean, a guy with 1 HP and a Reflex save of +23432 is probably going to survive more often than not.

Though you did comment that you didn't want to calculate the reflex save.

Even then, if it takes 120 damage and has no reflex save...then how does it surivive 1/3 of the time if it has 40 HP?

I wasn't trying to say that the dragon will always do 120 damage. I was referring to how 120 is the maximum damage that a dragon can do and not always what it will do. Most of the time it will do less. About a third of the time it will do 40HP or less.

EDIT: It makes sense to my sleep deprived brain. Yay exam time. <_<

Edited by Deraldin

It would do less than 40 damage 1/3 of the time, if it had an equal probability of doing 1-120 damage.

But the damage is 12-120, with an expected value of 60.

Using your equation, if the Familiar had 12 HP, then 120/12 would mean a 10% chance of survival. But, the minimum damage is actually 12, which means that the familiar would die 100% of the time it fails its reflex save.

Get some sleep :rolleyes:

Edited by alanschu

It would do less than 40 damage 1/3 of the time, if it had an equal probability of doing 1-120 damage.

Using your equation, if the Familiar had 12 HP, then 120/12 would mean a 10% chance of survival.  But, the minimum damage is actually 12, which means that the familiar would die 100% of the time it fails its reflex save.

Get some sleep ;)

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted everything else, but it didn't click that I had to go back and edit. I think maybe I'll do that later.

I wish I could get some sleep. <_< I've got less than 5 hours during which to finish project/presentation that is worth 15% of my final grade and I'm only about half done. I need more caffeine... It's going to be a long day today. :rolleyes:

We're discussing D&D 3.0 as Ellester has saw fit not to even say what version he is talking about. Afterall, we're comapring a bunch of things - NWN1 to NWN2 to 3.0 to (possibly) 3.5

LMAO

beofre even reading the last three pages of this post, I'll make it clear I'm talking about 3.5 rules. I no longer own a 3.0 PHB. Everything I'm posting is in the 3.5 PHB.

EDIT: cool Deraldin showed the facts.

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I tested this out in the Toolset. I made a proper ancient red dragon in the toolset. basicically a 40 HD critter. 21 Dragon levels and 19 sorcerer levels. Gave him the basic AI for both and had him go against a wizard and his familiar.

The wizzie and the familiar died rather quickly.

I wonder if the enemy will use nasty metamagic feats like Maximise? and.. I was about to say quicken but thats useless in relatime.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Because being able to lob 2 spells the same round is useless if there are no rounds. But I suppose they could make it into some kind of turbo feature that enabled you to pop off a second spell right after the first instead of having to wait a second.

How is it that NWNs combat system works again? It has some kind of pseudo round/phase thingie doesnt it?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Metamagic feats in DnD.

:wub: All I have to say it must be a 3rd ed thing.

Its all built around boosting a spell some way at the cost of it taking a spell slot 1-4 levels higher than normal. For instance a maximised(does maximum damage for your level) fireball takes a lvl6 slot instead of a lvl3 slot. a maximized+empowered fireball would do max damage+another 50% of damage and take a lvl 8 spell slot.

Its really nasty.

Yep.

Basically they are feats a wizrd can choose which augments their spell casting capabilities. SUch as Empowered spell, which will increase the level slot requirement for memerization, makes it that the spell can do 1.5 times the normal damage or lasts 1.5 times as long, and so forth. A Maximized Spell basically does maximum potential damage or last for the maximum possible duration, and so forth.

So a maximuized fireball with the caster 10th level plus will do 60 points, 30 if Reflex save is made, automatically.

In 3.5e it is really handy to do so because some wizards who don't have 1 16+ Intelligence could use the higher level spell slots they get with metamagic infused lower level spells.

Edited by Judge Hades

Can't wait to see what vs party encounters Obsidz can set up. They probably can make legal non-cheese stuff that most people would find unbeatable, even with the benefit of reloading/preplaning. Well, maybe not if they do random combat scripts on key battles on each load. :wub:

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Because being able to lob 2 spells the same round is useless if there are no rounds. But I suppose they could make it into some kind of turbo feature that enabled you to pop off a second spell right after the first instead of having to wait a second.

How is it that NWNs combat system works again? It has some kind of pseudo round/phase thingie doesnt it?

IIRC, NWN has the turns, it's just tha all involved in a fight act out their turn simultaneously. So if swing at your enemy (and only have one attack) you have to wait until the next turn before you can swing again. At least it works like this in the IE games.

As for quicken allowing you to cast two spells in one round, does it really work like that in D&D (and I really have no idea here)? I thought you only got one action during each turn regardless?

(if you have more than one attack, all attacks combined still count as a single action I guess)

If it would be Gaussian distribution. But it is uniform, so you can expect any value between 12 and 120 with same probability.

It's not Uniform. For instance, getting a 12 or a 120 means you have to roll the exact same value for all 24 dice (either all the highest or all the lowest). Since it's 24d10, your probability of doing either is (1/10)^24

Look at it with two regular dice. The probability of getting 2 or 12 is the lowest, with the probability of 1/36 (1/6 * 1/6). However, you can get a 7 by rolling 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, or 6-1. Your chances of getting a 7 are 6 times higher than getting a 7 than a 2 or 12.

Though I did just make an estimate about the expected value being 60. With rolling 24d10, between any two pairing of die, you'd reasonably expect 11 to be the highest probable value. With 12 pairings, that's 132 damage. 132/2 is 66. With some quick math, I'd say the expected value is closer to 66.

But it is certainly not a uniform distribution.