Turn-Based Strategy Games

Combat Missions, not technically Turn based.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I used to like Lord of the Realms quite a bit...but that's not a new game or anything. First time through, man did those plagues decimate my population and frustrate me. Heh

Once you got the knack, it was pretty simple, but it's pretty fun.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I used to like Lord of the Realms quite a bit...but that's not a new game or anything. First time through, man did those plagues decimate my population and frustrate me. Heh

I still have the disk for Lord of the Realms II around here somewhere. I wasted a lot of hours on that game. I remember that cows were worthless and once it was set up grain was a bumper crop that would produce ten times the food you needed.

Knights were awesome! I was surprised they didn't break the sound barrier, they moved so fast. >_<

too bad they changed the latest lords of the realm to make it suck.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I never bought the sequel...it didn't look very good, and I'd kind of lost interest in most strategy by then. Did you actually buy it?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

too bad they changed the latest lords of the realm to make it suck.

I was interested in the game until I actually took a look at what they had done with the game. <_<

Among other things, I like turn-based strategy games.  I play the old Hasbro Axis and Allies TBS game online sometimes.  But, with so may RTS games out there, are there some good TBS still out there?

If you don't mind playing slightly older games then you might want to take a look into the Heroes of Might and Magic series and Jagged Alliance 2. They are usually heralded as the top dogs of the TBS genre.

I have heard that the 2 Masters of Orion games are really good.

Indeed, the first two Master of Orion games are excellent, if you can get them to work under a modern OS that is. Just don't bother with the third instalment of the series, it's a very, very different kind of game.

Edited by aVENGER

the new A&A is a kind of mix of turn and real time , maybe ya like it, and there is the classic RISK 2 game, turn based but not yet ready is Galactic Civilisation 2 really good, made some posts there too, check it out on http://www.galciv2.com

It will be in stores (hopefully) this month :-

Civ 4 is good too, many changes since 2 or 3, you'll like it, and if you did not the first 3 than you should give it a try anyway.

Somekind of turnbased rpg is : Smuggler 3 ,interesting concept

And of course don't forget the old age classic turn based strategy game:

named simple chess :D

I also like 'half-turn' games like Paradox-s : Europe Universalis series , Victoria, Hearts of Iron 2 :p

IB1OsQq.png

If you don't mind playing slightly older games then you might want to take a look into the Heroes of Might and Magic series and Jagged Alliance 2.

Or, if you want a game similar to JA2 but more recent, you could try Silent Storm and it's expansion SS: Sentinels. Especially the expansion campaign is one of the best squad based games I've played.

In the same series is also Hammer & Sickle, but I haven't played that yet.

Other than that I can just agree with everyone suggesting Civ4. It's a true masterpiece.

Personal favourites (besides Master of Orion 2) are War in Russian and Pacific War. The last two formerly from SSI, now Matrix games if I remember correctly. Both are available as free downloads from the publishers web site.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

For a nice tactical TB fix Xcom or Silent Storm are your best bets.

What I wouldn't give for a straight up remake of Xcom. UFO:Apocalypse (or whatever it's called) looks pretty average and doesn't have the same funky style.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Firaxis owns the Xcom name right now. EVERYONE EMAIL SID MEIER

That is too good to be true! :blink:

Link?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, Sid owns the rights to Xcom, and is apparently a fan.

These days he is the ONLY man I would trust to make an xcom remake, the latest 'remakes' weren't even freaking Turn Based, gj @ missing the point.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeah, that news post was from September of 2002. Maybe if we do an online petition we can get Firaxis to aknowledge there plans.

Honestly though, if Pirates did well financially, they probably will go forward with a new Xcom. It seems like Pirates did good, but it's hard to tell in this day and age.