In What aspect is Kotor I better than II?

My biggest beef with Kotor 1, although i think its a better game overall, is that they didn't do the skills right. On every level up your base class skill points + int mod should equal your skill points. But the game divides that number by 2 for every class. So once you go jedi (even jedi sentinal) your left with next to nothing as far as skill points go. I guess maybe they thought giving the full sp would leave you overpowered or somthing. Sometimes I think from an role playing sense that once your a jedi you won't have time for skills as you will be training powers and such. But seriously if you want to get everything out of the game you should take persuade. And then that leaves you with almost no other skills or even no other skills.

But all in all even though Kotor 2 vastly improved the aspects of the game and it was a more complex and interesting role playing experience, Kotor 1 simply as a game seemed better because of many things including nostalgia, polish, the fact that it was finished, and most important of all because it defyed the lucasarts theory of putting a game out that is crap but will capitalize on the Star wars name. Only the Dark forces/jedi knight series and x-wing seriers have done this before. But for a sucessful star wars rpg based on the DND rules to be a great game is still something i can't believe actually happened.

You can tell me that I'm milking a goat, but if I have no idea what "milk" and "goat" are, I will either imagine something up or stop really caring what you have to say about me milking a goat. Or I will observe what I'm doing, which is probably milking a goat (unless you're lying), and I'll be interested.

I know, I know, some might argue that you CAN imagine for yourself, your own personal real-life cRPG character what milking a goat is, but once you stop imagining, and if you aren't actually doing anything, there stops being any reason to care. Period. That is THE limit to creativity of creation. Which is to say, there isn't any... but there IS.

*ahem*

That is the disappointment of KotOR II.

I feel kotor 1 had a better feel i was so confused in kotor 2 in took me a few times beating it to understand what was really going on. Hopefuly tsl restoration porject will clear up some of it for me

I also felt the romances in kotor 1 were better i heard in a thread somwhere they were more of a classic romance.

dont get me worng kotor 2 was a great game

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

" Revan was power and it was like staring into the heart of the force."

Did anyone know there was more to Nihilus than sucking the life off of planets? He was destroying Jedi for another reason as well: he wanted to keep his movements in a certain sector of the galaxy undetected. Whether it was for a purpose beyond, feeding his hunger is a question that we know (i.e. that's all the reason), or maybe one we will find out in the next game. I hadn't uncovered this until recently.

From the Dialog.TLK. Seems to me they didn't really had that much of a strategy...

Traya used her skills at manipulation to assume domination of the other Sith Lords. She wished to study Malachor V and the echoes it was causing in the Force. Unwilling to wait to do battle with the Jedi, Sion and Nihilus turned on Traya and began their shadow war against the Jedi.

Destroying the Jedi top conceal his movements would not be very smart. It would raise the question and suspicion of the other Jedi on why their comrades suddenly died.

Yes, but his movements would remain undetected. The Jedi wouldn't be eager to investigate dead worlds for fear of attack, and there ability to manipulate the force in tracking him would be lessened. May it be that perhaps he may have had dealings with the unkown threat? Otherwise why the forrays outside the outer rim? I'm probably overreading this, but it was interesting to me at the time, on finding this insight.

I think Nihilus is simply drawn to the most powerful jedi in order to "feed" on them...

Remember what Kreia said...

Kreia: "It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves... it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes.It cannot be taught... it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand."

{Quietly}"Yes. And he fed upon its destruction - it will sustain him, for a time.Because it is not something that can ever truly be controlled... and it leaves nothing to conquer in its wake.And it rules him, not the other way around. It has its own will, its own instincts."

{Chiding}"Power? Do you think so?{Shakes head}You would be wrong. There is no strength in the hunger he possesses... and the will behind his power is a primal thing. And it devours him as he devours others - his mere presence kills all around him, slowly, feeding him. He is already dead, it is simply a question of how many he kills before he falls."

Well, for one, KOTOR didn't have hanharr,goto, or kreia.

A big plus.

Hanharr - yes.

G0T0 - yes.

Kreia - no. Kreia is a great character. She may be an annoying, manipulative old hag, but she's still one of them most wonderfully developed characters I've seen in a computer game in a long time.

I wonder which character is worse- Zaalbar or Hanhar.

T3 was absolutely useless in K1, but he(it) is a great party member in K2.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

T3 in KOTOR 1?

his role was to open one single security door!

Yes, and that's exactly the one thing I ever used him for. I bought him at the droid shop, took him the short distance over to the Sith base, had him open the door, then dropped him from the party immediately before entering and never used him again.

Well, I did bring him when I bought HK-47 - there are a few, ahem, humerous responses there that I like.

But as a character in the active group? Nope, never. Totally useless.

at least GOTO gives you creds (lots) a backstory and some entertainment.

True. Even as useless as G0T0 is, he did make it into the K2 party more often than T3 did in K1... Not to mention that the droids were to be the only ones who could (initially, at least) exit the ship on M4-78. But then that was cut, so...

so KOTOR had more useless characters *COUGH* mission *HACK* then KOTOR 2.

Don't agree there. Mission was one of the characters I used most frequently in K1, particularly when facing areas with lots of mines and enemies. I let her sneak in and disarm all the mines, then brought in the jedi cavalry - CHARGE! :D

Well, for one, KOTOR didn't have hanharr,goto, or kreia.

A big plus.

Hanharr - yes.

G0T0 - yes.

Kreia - no. Kreia is a great character. She may be an annoying, manipulative old hag, but she's still one of them most wonderfully developed characters I've seen in a computer game in a long time.

Yeah... so great that they almost forgot about the Exile and his role.

Kinda sucks not beeing the main character in an RPG.

Yeah... so great that they almost forgot about the Exile and his role.

Kinda sucks not beeing the main character in an RPG.

She's much the same as Bastila in KOTOR , although much better written of course.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]