KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Guest The Architect

I can't send my proposed KOTOR III Storyline to LucasArts and Obsidian because they have a strict policy which includes not to read any unsolicited material such as game ideas and stories so they will not look at it. That sucks, if only these damn guys would listen to me then they wouldn't be wasting there time!

I can't send my proposed KOTOR III Storyline to LucasArts and Obsidian because they have a strict policy which includes not to read any unsolicited material such as game ideas and stories so they will not look at it. That sucks, if only these damn guys would listen to me then they wouldn't be wasting there time!

unsolicited you say, ask for five bucks for it or something

Yeah that does suck. :lol:. Too bad really. Your storyline sounded good overall. Not that I agreed with all of it, but there were definate elements that could - should - have worked.

@ Skywalker

Yeah I gathered, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Do you really need companions anyway? You always end up alone - your PC vs. the Dark Lord/End Boss. It's not an anime - the whole friend/love/bonds don't really have to apply. In the end, you're always alone...

Speaking of which, anyone up for renaming the Kotor series to "Angst of the Old Republic: Sexual Repression of Adolescence" ?

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Interesting couple of days worth of posts to catch up on ...

The d20 system works, if and only if you maintain difficulty balance, and I have to agree with Hades and many others that this balance was infrequently well achieved with K1, and even less so in K2.

In the d20 system, a 4th (or so) level character is past the "newbie" stage, a 9th (or so) level character is considered an expert in his field, and anything beyond about 15th gets into the "God-like powerful" realm. K1 did the right thing, maintaining the level cap - while K2 was fun (more from an adventuring and exploring standpoint than difficulty), beyond 20th level, your character is simply too powerful for anything to be a real challenge.

One thing regarding difficulty that has not had much attention recently - the enemy combat AI sucked hard. The things that should have been a challenge were a cakewalk. For instance, mobs of Dark Jedi rarely did anything but charge at you with their lightsabers or staves ... you would think that they would work together ... send a couple of marauders to engage you with LS while assassins stealthed up behind you to sneak attack and Sith Lords blasted you with Insanity, Plague, Scream, etc. ... but no ... the fight with Darth Bandon in K1 was a pretty good example of how you expect Sith to fight somewhat intelligently (somehow I always managed to trigger that fight when I was solo on the Genoharadan quest on Kashyyk - really tough alone).

Again, I have to agree with Hades that closer adherance to the SW:RPG d20 rules would definitely make for a more challenging game.

KOTOR does NOT need to be a MMORPG - there are already too many, and while I had high hopes for SWG ... I have not played it, and probably never will, especially when I take the reviews, comments like those above, and other information I've found about the game in consideration. I love the idea of role-playing in the SW universe, but am not sure I want to deal with the MMORPG munchkins, and don't have the time or energy to dedicate to it.

My two credits ...

Do you really need companions anyway? You always end up alone - your PC vs. the Dark Lord/End Boss. It's not an anime - the whole friend/love/bonds don't really have to apply. In the end, you're always alone...

Speaking of which, anyone up for renaming the Kotor series to "Angst of the Old Republic: Sexual Repression of Adolescence" ?

if you remember kotor 2, you would been in the exchanges hand cause kreia wouln't have woken you up, and the hk50 droid you have taken you and on and on and on it goes

if you remember kotor 2, you would been in the exchanges hand cause kreia wouln't have woken you up, and the hk50 droid you have taken you and on and on and on it goes

And you would have ended up under Goto and been subject to his manipulations, right? Forced to go save the republic and report directly back to him?

Just on changing topics briefly, for K3 - I want to see "Group Stealth" options.

One thing regarding difficulty that has not had much attention recently - the enemy combat AI sucked hard.  The things that should have been a challenge were a cakewalk.  For instance, mobs of Dark Jedi rarely did anything but charge at you with their lightsabers or staves ... you would think that they would work together ... send a couple of marauders to engage you with LS while assassins stealthed up behind you to sneak attack and Sith Lords blasted you with Insanity, Plague, Scream, etc. ... but no ... the fight with Darth Bandon in K1 was a pretty good example of how you expect Sith to fight somewhat intelligently (somehow I always managed to trigger that fight when I was solo on the Genoharadan quest on Kashyyk - really tough alone).

That just shows how silly I was playing LS and having force resistance up all the times in the fights at the end. :blink:

I was supprised that they used so little force powers at the end. In KotOR1 the did use their powers at least at the starforge. <_<

Guess that they with the forced early release did not have time to have proper combat AI for the opponents in most fights.

Edited by Spook

Another thing that I think they have done a bit wrong in both games:

As DS you are supposed to be strong alone and forsake others for power, but as LS you are supposed to use the bond with others to make your all stronger.

In short the end fight as DS should be you agains the big boss alone while as LS you should have it with companions. This of course would need some balancing, but the darkside power of forcecrush, forcestorm and deathfield make you strong enough alone anyway.

The fight with Sion when I was DS was dissapointingy easy. Forcecrushed him into oblivion untill he gave up and admitted defeat. he never got close to me.

As LS it was at least a bit of a fight.

The fight with Sion when I was DS was dissapointingy easy. Forcecrushed him into oblivion untill he gave up and admitted defeat. he never got close to me.

Flurry x3(or x4), repeat as opposed to "force crush" x2?

Flurry x3(or x4), repeat as opposed to "force crush" x2?

Twice the time at least, and he could do something beside just hang in the air being crushed. :(

Edited by Spook

Poor guy must have grown bored just hanging around and waiting to be killed :D. Maybe that's why he stopped fighting.

but you can still send it. at the very least, you will feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off your shoulders...you did all you could do.

look, they have to say things like that. what if an esteemed writter like Timothy Zahn sent them a manuscript. and let us say that they read it and only used about 20% of it....there could still be (conceiveably) grounds for a lawsuit. they have to protect their own legal interests. I think they realize that fans like us just want to see K3 be all that it can be and nothing more but they have to have a one size fits all answer to that.

so, yes, storyline ideas are a real Catch-22. on the one hand you really can't spill the beans of your story in a forum like this one because then nobody will use it for sure (no longer any mystery involved) but getting past the green eyeshade types is also a challenge (but not necessarily impossible...who knows whether somebody actually read it?).

Does that mean the devs never look in here and we're just wasting our lives? And in fact have no plans to even make another kotor but put this up anyway to cut down on receiving emails from rabid fan boys telling them how to do their jobs?

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Does that mean the devs never look in here and we're just wasting our lives? And in fact have no plans to even make another kotor but put this up anyway to cut down on receiving emails from rabid fan boys telling them how to do their jobs?

Obsidian has already stated they WOULD LIKE to do KOTOR 3 and LA insiders has suggested they would like to continue with the franchise.

At any rate, let's just say that it is Obsidian that is making K3, LA still has them on a very short leash....once the project is announced, I suspect the devs will open up a forum for it like with PNJ....heck, how long has that forum been open? And still, not much meat in there.

quite the pessimist too

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.