KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

How is it insulting to the people who wrote the scripts?  They are the one's who gave us the ending to KoToRII.  I'm not trying to bash anyone opinions here, but I don't think Revan and Exile are completely the end all and be all of the KoToR universe.  ShadowPaladin's idea holds real merit, giving closure to the first games and presenting a new legend.  And I honestly hope they give the new game a clean ending this time.  I wasn't happy with the other two either.

It's not that they're the end of the KotOR universe. Revan played a huge role in KotOR I and was given even more rep in KotOR II. The Exile, the best general Revan had, continued his work in KotOR II. They both gone into the unknown regions to face the greater threat, that's why they deserve a good portion of the story in KotOR III, since the whole story is based on their actions(if they continue the story in the third installment, that is).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Will there be an option to have sex with your love interest in KotORIII? 

I was upset I could not do this with Bastila.

Maybe not sex, but at least a cinematic kiss or something like that

You really don't have many options.

Revan is no longer a playable character with a memory he dosnt need a player anymore.

The Exile is playable, but at that sort of level welcome to alienation of anyone new to the KOTOR series.

How I would deal with it.

Prologue.

Party Revan and the Exile taking on the Sith. They die, the end.

Cut to new character and start the game proper. Character wakes up from the "nightmare" because of course your character has to be force sensitive.

Not only will the prologue let you play both characters (albeit without actually having any conversational input) but it also lets you see some of the cool high level powers.

Everyone gets closure. It may not be the ending they wanted but tough cookies. Everyone gets a clean slate and since the identities of the Revan and the Exile are establised by the player you dont have to play 20 questions with an NPC.

Since most of those directly involved are dead you wont have to hear much about them in the course of the game. And that dosnt even need to be accurate since it's not first hand accounts but rather rumour.

No, no, no......NO.

That's again lazy story-line design. Although, they shouldn't be party members, they should still play a vital role in KotOR III. Give them male/female voices (it doesn't matter in the long run if a few people think that they're not the "right" voice), so the main character can interact with them about their agendas. I wouldn't mind if one or both of them die during the course of the game, as long as it's in a blaze of glory, which they clearly deserve.

Nothing would be more irritating than reading the first sentence in the opening credits as:

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III"

"Revan and the Exile died during their campaign in the unknown regions. Now the Republic is at stake blablabla...".

Agreed.

As somebody who likes to weave stories himself, something like what Paladin has suggested would be somehow...unforgivable. Why go through all of that, just to have both characters you played for hours and hours in the first and second games die within the first ten minutes of gameplay?

That's just ludicrous, not to mention sort of insulting to the people who came up with both characters and wrote out the scripts in the first place.

I like Mesh's idea the most though, it's got an air of KotOR about it that I really like...though a few alterations wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, I think Revan and the Exile should have a very big role in KOTOR III, especially with KOTOR II doing nothing but setting up their meeting after the destruction of the Ravager ("Admiral Onasi is standing by"). I actually wouldn't mind having both Revan and the Exile have a dual-PC role, where both characters are the PC (not 100% sure how it would work out yet).

T3-M4 consequently has little choice when it comes to being a critical role, especially if the Ebon Hawk's still running around with a locked navicomputer. But even if it's unlocked, the little astromech droid has a big role. I also think HK-47 should be dumped on Mustafar for SWG: ToW's sake, but that's almost a side note.

Carth and Bastila can be a supporting role, perhaps if Revan, Exile, and T3-M4 were to become unaccounted for after a period of time, and they soon become concerned. Perhaps Visas and the Disciple can make a cameo appearance (or maybe something slightly more if the plot calls for it).

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

How is it insulting to the people who wrote the scripts?  They are the one's who gave us the ending to KoToRII.  I'm not trying to bash anyone opinions here, but I don't think Revan and Exile are completely the end all and be all of the KoToR universe.  ShadowPaladin's idea holds real merit, giving closure to the first games and presenting a new legend.  And I honestly hope they give the new game a clean ending this time.  I wasn't happy with the other two either.

It's not that they're the end of the KotOR universe. Revan played a huge role in KotOR I and was given even more rep in KotOR II. The Exile, the best general Revan had, continued his work in KotOR II. They both gone into the unknown regions to face the greater threat, that's why they deserve a good portion of the story in KotOR III, since the whole story is based on their actions(if they continue the story in the third installment, that is).

Although I didn't care for the ending in #2, it was an ending. The exile rode off into the sunset and the Republic again is safe for the time being. If the developers decide to bring back Revan and the Exile, you'll get no complaints from me. If they decide to go about a completely different route, that's even better in my opinion. I am fairly unbiased as I'm not the one who has to work on it.

Although I didn't care for the ending in #2, it was an ending. The exile rode off into the sunset and the Republic again is safe for the time being. If the developers decide to bring back Revan and the Exile, you'll get no complaints from me. If they decide to go about a completely different route, that's even better in my opinion. I am fairly unbiased as I'm not the one who has to work on it.

I misread your intentions, my apologies. For the record, before the story of KotOR II was revealed, i was very negative about the possible continuation of Revan's story. My opinion about KotOR III is more in the vein of "You started it, and you've better finish it".

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

LOL.  No need to apologize.  I completely understand what you are getting at.  And to be fair, your idea is very interesting.  It definately shows merit with the way you would like the game to continue on the storyline.

No problem :)

If KotOR III was made in the vein i want it to be, there still would be a whole lot problems with the storyline, but that's up to the devs to work out.

Possible alignment/gender with Revan/Exile.

R = Revan

E = The Exile

M = Male

F = Female

LS = Light side

DS = Dark side

R:M:LS E:M:LS, R:M:DS E:M:DS, R:F:LS E:F:LS, R:M:LS E:M:DS, R:M:DS E:M:LS, R:F:LS E:F:DS, R:F:DS E:F:LS, R:M:LS E:F:LS, R:M:LS E:F:DS, R:M:DS E:F:LS, R:M:DS E:F:DS, R:F:LS E:M:LS, R:F:LS E:M:DS, R:F:DS E:M:DS.

That atleast 14 diffirent characteristics of those two + this time, the player knows what's on the horizon (little room for plot-twists) + a whole lot of characters that might do cameos. So i have some understandment if they decide to ditch the Revan/Exile alltogether. But it would infuriate me ofcourse.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I actually would want the canon to be LSM Revan LSF Exile

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Lets see if it's clear that neither character is playable ? It is right ? Then it's no better taking someones LS Revan and Exile and twisting them into evil abomonations than it is to kill them off.

Turning them into "bosses" throws up all sorts of issues where as killing them off solves them all at a stroke (or two).

People really have to understand one thing there Revan wasnt yours , never was. What you were playing was an implanted idea of what you thought he would be. Without a memory that no longer applies.

Less so with the Exile, the Exile, would certainly still be playable. Albeit at a ridiculous level. However I'm willing to sacrifice my Exile for the sake a story that dosnt have to try to cobble together two games into a third.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

They don't necessarily have to die (though I am fond of the idea), but we also don't have to see them in the next game. Am I the only one who remembers Kreia mentioning, at the end of II, something about how Revan will need more, Jedi and Sith, to follow? Whether you were a good guy or a bad guy at the end of II, you set up a system to train new peeps. If you were a good guy, your party members form the core of a new Jedi council, and if you were a baddie, you take over that Sith training academy on Malachor before venturing off into unknown space.

Now, I know people are in love with Revan, but it just strikes me as the same as desperately wanting to play...crap, forgot his name. But the dark elf guy from the D&D books, you know? Same sort of thinking. Plenty of folk would hop right on that bandwagon, going, "Cool beans." But some of us would inevitably go, "What the hell? This isn't my character, why the hell do I have to play him?"

I suspect the former category will get their wish, though, or something like it. My money's on KotOR III beginning with, "So, you've got amnesia, which is about as common as a cold in the Old Republic. Your true identity is Darth Ultimato, the baddest, freaknastiest Sith Lord ever to lose his memory and be forced to choose between the light side and dark side of the Force all over again. The, um, Palookas have acquired the plans for a Star Death Forge Star, so you better figure something out."

For my own part, for a third game I agree with you Shadow. I myself want to play something fresh and new. To me tho this idea is like the Hound chasing the Fox. I feel sympathy for the Fox's predicament, but I can see the Hound's perspective as well. This is also why I refrain from writng in these threads, and just stay as a casual observer for the most part.

Lets see if it's clear that neither character is playable ? It is right ? Then it's no better taking someones LS Revan and Exile and twisting them into evil abomonations than it is to kill them off.

Turning them into "bosses" throws up all sorts of issues where as killing them off solves them all at a stroke (or two).  (1)

People really have to understand one thing there Revan wasnt yours , never was. What you were playing was an implanted idea of what you thought he would be. Without a memory that no longer applies. (2)

Less so with the Exile, the Exile, would certainly still be playable. Albeit at a ridiculous level. However I'm willing to sacrifice my Exile for the sake a story that dosnt have to try to cobble together two games into a third. (3)

(1) So would you rather have Revan and Exile exist in name only, like Revan alone did in II?

(2) Either that gives the devs more freedom or you need to expand on that (not being mean btw)

(3) We can still use K2's Exile, even with all the Force Powers. We could then eliminate the whole 'level up' process and if we controlled a new Padawan, the Padawan could learn certain Force Powers at certain points in time.

DAWUSS

They don't necessarily have to die (though I am fond of the idea), but we also don't have to see them in the next game.  Am I the only one who remembers Kreia mentioning, at the end of II, something about how Revan will need more, Jedi and Sith, to follow?  Whether you were a good guy or a bad guy at the end of II, you set up a system to train new peeps.  If you were a good guy, your party members form the core of a new Jedi council, and if you were a baddie, you take over that Sith training academy on Malachor before venturing off into unknown space. 

Now, I know people are in love with Revan, but it just strikes me as the same as desperately wanting to play...crap, forgot his name.  But the dark elf guy from the D&D books, you know?  Same sort of thinking.  Plenty of folk would hop right on that bandwagon, going, "Cool beans."  But some of us would inevitably go, "What the hell?  This isn't my character, why the hell do I have to play him?"

I suspect the former category will get their wish, though, or something like it.  My money's on KotOR III beginning with, "So, you've got amnesia, which is about as common as a cold in the Old Republic.  Your true identity is Darth Ultimato, the baddest, freaknastiest Sith Lord ever to lose his memory and be forced to choose between the light side and dark side of the Force all over again.  The, um, Palookas have acquired the plans for a Star Death Forge Star, so you better figure something out."

LOL! I hope not.

(1) So would you rather have Revan and Exile exist in name only, like Revan alone did in II?

(2) Either that gives the devs more freedom or you need to expand on that (not being mean btw)

(3) We can still use K2's Exile, even with all the Force Powers. We could then eliminate the whole 'level up' process and if we controlled a new Padawan, the Padawan could learn certain Force Powers at certain points in time.

No not like in II. No playing 20 questions with the NPCs, that was obviously too complex for some people to comprehend.

Choose a head and gender , or an "outfit" I'm sure the developers wouldnt mind sticking them in.

Then play your prologue or dream sequence. The dream sequence is basically akin to the helms deep battle only Gandalf wont be showing up to bail them out.

These guys are not going to down easy, but they are going down. It also gives you a sense of foreshadowing.

Getting both of the old characters out of the way gives then a clean slate. Where as in KOTOR II they had to try to piece together possible outcomes from KOTOR. For example LS/DS ,male/female, did Carth live or die etc.

Without those burdens you would have got your droid planet and your ending. Which would have added immesurably more to KII dont you think?

You could, but then it's still going to fall into the same trap. It's more difficult with the Exile too. It was irrelevent for example what alignment Revan was in KOTOR since that wasnt actually Revan just the fake personality. The Exile dosnt have a fake personality he or she has the one the player gave them.

Therefore you cant just simply say and the Exile will turn out like this and trying to write in a DS and LS and a male female exile into the story means more messing around with continuity and less story.

Leveling up is at the core of any RPG it's not something you eliminate without some serious thought. There are many implications in that , not least of which KOTOR uses a derivative of the D20 rules.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Dying is the only way you can have them both in the game and out of the game (if that makes sense)

Yes lots of Drizzt syndrome going around. Although I thought the origin books were excellent . After he became the uber shadow of death he became very boring to anyone who wasnt a teen.

478327[/snapback]

Dying is the only way you can have them both in the game and out of the game (if that makes sense)

Yes lots of Drizzt syndrome going around. Although I thought the origin books were excellent . After he became the uber shadow of death he became very boring to anyone who wasnt a teen.

Welp, can't comment on that, since I'm not the most familiar with literature from that genre, but I do know he's a popular chap for whatever reason.

I'm not necessarily saying it's wrong to want to play established characters, it's just not what I would choose to do. I think it's much more interesting to see a new story, preferably one that the player has a lot of involvement in. Personal preference, is all.

No not like in II. No playing 20 questions with the NPCs, that was obviously too complex for some people to comprehend.

Choose a head and gender , or an "outfit" I'm sure the developers wouldnt mind sticking them in.

Then play your prologue or dream sequence. The dream sequence is basically akin to the helms deep battle only Gandalf wont be showing up to bail them out.

These guys are not going to down easy, but they are going down. It also gives you a sense of foreshadowing.

Getting both of the old characters out of the way gives then a clean slate. Where as in KOTOR II they had to try to piece together possible outcomes from KOTOR. For example LS/DS ,male/female, did Carth live or die etc.

Without those burdens you would have got your droid planet and your ending. Which would have added immesurably more to KII dont you think?

You could, but then it's still going to fall into the same trap. It's more difficult with the Exile too. It was irrelevent for example what alignment Revan was in KOTOR since that wasnt actually Revan just the fake personality. The Exile dosnt have a fake personality he or she has the one the player gave them.

Therefore you cant just simply say and the Exile will turn out like this and trying to write in a DS and LS and a male female exile into the story means more messing around with continuity and less story.

Leveling up is at the core of any RPG it's not something you eliminate without some serious thought. There are many implications in that , not least of which KOTOR uses a derivative of the D20 rules.

So when would the story take place? Does the dream happen when Revan and the Exile die? Or is it a premonition? Just curious.

So when would the story take place?  Does the dream happen when Revan and the Exile die?  Or is it a premonition?  Just curious.

Not asking me to write the entire plot are you ? :-

It dosnt really matter if the dream happens when they die, or if the dream is prophetic really. It's only there for closure purposes.

You could take the plot in many directions from that. Your character could be a sensitive with particularly strong precognative powers and be the only one aware of the threat. He/she would then have to convince others.

If you wanted to get totally whacky your character could be a clone created from the DNA of Revan and the Exile in order to create the "perfect Jedi" as a weapon to fight the Sith.

Of course your character would be blisfully unaware of that for most of the game and may not be overly thrilled when they find out.

As far as design goes you need a few things.

1. A character that belongs to the player (with a few designer implanted story hooks) The amnesiac , or even partially amnesiac Jedi isnt going to fly this time since no one is going to be in the least bit suprised.(not like I was anyway in KOTOR but thats another story).

2. The freedom for that character to explore both dark and light possibilies but at the same time not having to write two entirely different stories. Choices that may appear good, but have an undesired outcome in the future. Or a short term evil that leads to a long term good. It should not simply be about clicking the DS or LS response like Pavlovs dog.

3. An ending where the actions of the character through out the game are summed up. I'm much more in favour of a Fallout type ending where your actions are judged on a more local level in addition to an overall "galactic" cinematic.

478327[/snapback]

Would they die in the beginning? If so, that's just as lame as mentioning they died during the opening text crawl. If they're to die, at least develop them for a bit for one last time.

DAWUSS

So when would the story take place?  Does the dream happen when Revan and the Exile die?  Or is it a premonition?  Just curious.

Not asking me to write the entire plot are you ? :ermm:

It dosnt really matter if the dream happens when they die, or if the dream is prophetic really. It's only there for closure purposes.

You could take the plot in many directions from that. Your character could be a sensitive with particularly strong precognative powers and be the only one aware of the threat. He/she would then have to convince others.

If you wanted to get totally whacky your character could be a clone created from the DNA of Revan and the Exile in order to create the "perfect Jedi" as a weapon to fight the Sith.

Of course your character would be blisfully unaware of that for most of the game and may not be overly thrilled when they find out.

As far as design goes you need a few things.

1. A character that belongs to the player (with a few designer implanted story hooks) The amnesiac , or even partially amnesiac Jedi isnt going to fly this time since no one is going to be in the least bit suprised.(not like I was anyway in KOTOR but thats another story).

2. The freedom for that character to explore both dark and light possibilies but at the same time not having to write two entirely different stories. Choices that may appear good, but have an undesired outcome in the future. Or a short term evil that leads to a long term good. It should not simply be about clicking the DS or LS response like Pavlovs dog.

3. An ending where the actions of the character through out the game are summed up. I'm much more in favour of a Fallout type ending where your actions are judged on a more local level in addition to an overall "galactic" cinematic.

Thank-you, I like your ideas except the cloning.lol.

Would they die in the beginning? If so, that's just as lame as mentioning they died during the opening text crawl. If they're to die, at least develop them for a bit for one last time.

I'm not bashing you, but what would the point be of developing them if they are going to die so soon anyway? What I mean is that Shadow's idea of this brings closure to KoToRII and begins something new. It would just be taking away valuable space away from the new story.

Edited by Barrendall

No need to, you had two games to develop them if you played the previous games. If you didnt play the previous games , then there is even less reason to do so since to actually clue someone in the backgrounds would take away from what you could be using in the new story.

It's not as lame as just saying they died for two reasons.

1. You get a kick ass battle where you get to toss around high level force powers and abilities. As well as preveiw of the bad guys.

2. Its actually part of the new character (since it's their nightmare) so even if you have no clue who those two were it still has some relevence to you.

478327[/snapback]

No need to, you had two games to develop them if you played the previous games. If you didnt play the previous games , then there is even less reason to do so since to actually clue someone in the backgrounds would take away from what you could be using in the new story.

It's not as lame as just saying they died for two reasons.

1. You get a kick ass battle where you get to toss around high level force powers and abilities. As well as preveiw of the bad guys.

2. Its actually part of the new character (since it's their nightmare) so even if you have no clue who those two were it still has some relevence to you.

So you actually play the two characters even tho they inevitably bite it?