VtM: Bloodlines 1 Year Anniversary Q&A

funcroc

The only bug I really experienced(apart from crashes to desktop) was the slowing down. But I bet everyone had that 'cos of memory leakage.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I wonder who was responsible for casting and directing of the voice actors. The game had the best voice acting of any game I've ever played  :cool:

Here's hoping Obsidian have a decent voice budget for NWN2, the first NWN didn't have the best VO imo.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I still can't understand the use of 'imo' or 'imho'. Why do you need it? People can easily see it's an opinion from the context.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

So that way the relevant message becomes foolproof? I got it.

kirottu said:

Seriously, can someone give me some examples of all these bugs you keep mentioning.

Well, one major one I encountered was that several quests became unfinishable because everything in my haven turned into a couch. Computer, chairs, table, lamps, etc. Other than that mostly horrible graphics glitches like the screen going all wavy and crazy colored around the beach and stuff like that. A lot of the crazy buggy games people complain about, I don't even notice the bugs, this one I did. I didn't really notice any of the bugs in ToEE.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, one major one I encountered was that several quests became unfinishable because everything in my haven turned into a couch. Computer, chairs, table, lamps, etc. Other than that mostly horrible graphics glitches like the screen going all wavy and crazy colored around the beach and stuff like that. A lot of the crazy buggy games people complain about, I don't even notice the bugs, this one I did. I didn't really notice any of the bugs in ToEE.

Thanks for the insight.

I usually don't notice minor bugs either, if it doesn't crash the game or break a quest I'm not terribly observant. I experienced nothing like what you described in Bloodlines but instead had my share of bugs in ToEE (like the mosters spawning inside walls bug for instance).

It just goes to show that your mileage may vary. And how hopeless it must be working in QA for PC RPGs.

I wouldn't say the best game, but up there in top-15, yes.

kirottu said:

Voice acting in a game? Bloodlines by far. If the good old BG and IWD games had voiced every line than BG2 would be the best.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I still can't understand the use of 'imo' or 'imho'. Why do you need it? People can easily see it's an opinion from the context.

It's to prevent people from rebutting : 'but that's just your opinion...'

... but that's just your opinion. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Bloodlines combines all my favourite ideas from the RPGs of the past five years and packages them in a fun and highly immersive bundle of gaming joy.

It's also the first game I've ever found myself replaying solely for the sake of hacking it. That is to say, playing around just getting ideas to modify some given things in some particular interesting or screwy way as I go along and trying them out, finding a way to make strange things happen. The combination of the Source engine and Troika's own fairly intuitive scripting makes it pretty easy to toy with. You can do essentially everything from the console save for introduce new content. Fun stuff.

More importantly, he designed the Ocean House Hotel level, one of the best game levels I've ever played.

The hilarious and perfectly spot-on Malk dialogue was a million times more significant--at least, if you've had the pleasure of playing Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle, which dwarfs all other scary levels ever, even the ones in the excellent Silent Hill series. But I digress.

Bloodlines is one of my favorite games. I have played it around 9 times at least, and I still don't feel sick of it. I've moderated an online RPG based on the Bloodlines setting for a year now. That's how fanatically I love this game, even though I agree 100% with Oerwinde--too much combat-pandering and weak technical chops. It's impossible to play as a REAL Toreador (i.e. use Presence to turn the tide, as opposed to pumping up a combat stat all the way and juicing your physical attributes.)

A wistful little part of me will always wish there'd be a sequel. But at least Obsidian got some of these talented people on board. *crosses fingers for KOTOR 3*

Bloodlines was a great RPG with great story, voiceacting and dialogue. Too bad there was atleast one gamestopping bug and the combat was horrid.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wouldn't say the best game, but up there in top-15, yes.

Which ones do you like?

Humm, the Thief Trilogy, Mafia, Rune, Outcast, BG 2, IWD 2, Gothic, The Avernum Trilogy, Bloodlines, Golden Eye and Broken Sword.

kirottu said:

The hilarious and perfectly spot-on Malk dialogue was a million times more significant--at least, if you've had the pleasure of playing Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle, which dwarfs all other scary levels ever, even the ones in the excellent Silent Hill series. But I digress.

I haven't played Thief 3 so I wouldn't know. But I'm just not that impressed with the Malk-dialogue. It's fun at first (and the stop sign and anchorman dialogues are hilarious) but after a while the novelty wears off. Besides, it's hardly groundbreaking, it's very much the same as the stupid dialogues present in Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum.

(The malk-dialogue was well written and great fun though, I'm not disputing that)