cbs poll on evolution vs. creationism

random evil guy

I am perplexed by these silly statements. Do they have any point to them? If you are attacking Christianity for the corruption within the religion, there are far better ways. If you are mocking at the ignorance against Christianity through sarcasm, still there are far better ways. If you are just spamming without a purpose then carry on...

Think it's more to get a rise out of Mothy. :wub:"

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Go to a primarily Christian board, or even something physical, like a school, or college and say you're agnostic or atheist. Generally there'll be instantaneous moral, ethical, and spiritual assaults on your character the instant you offer a dissenting opinion on the whole god matter.

The double standards and hypocrisy exist on both sides of the fence.  :wub:

And when have I attacked anybody for being Christian?  :'(

Just because double standards exist on both sides doesn't make it okay on either account.

And you haven't, from what I can remember. Other members of this board sure have, though.

I'm well aware too that some members have done it just to get a rise out of me. :wub: But I can tell for sure some are rather serious. And I'm not judging that from this thread alone, either.

Edited by Mothman

Just because double standards exist on both sides doesn't make it okay on either account. 

And you haven't, from what I can remember.  Other members of this board sure have, though.

Well of course it doesn't. Just seems like you're stressing the plight of Christians when we're all harassed (jokingly on these boards) equally for our beliefs, is all.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Go to a primarily Christian board, or even something physical, like a school, or college and say you're agnostic or atheist. Generally there'll be instantaneous moral, ethical, and spiritual assaults on your character the instant you offer a dissenting opinion on the whole god matter.
Say you're a Wiccan and they'll put you on the stake.

I tried, Lone, I tried.  I actually like Cantousent better.  He's nicer.  A much better Christian than me.  hahahaha

Anyhow, 21 pages in all arguing over religion and science.  I'd like to say, and I mean it, that I don't have anything against atheists or atheism. I don't agree with it, but it's just not the measure I want to use in judging my friends.  I really try, as best I can, to leave judgment to God.  Why would anyone want to sit in judgment of other people?  How do Judges do it?

A good person, is a good person. How about we leave it at that friend. :wub:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I tried, Lone, I tried.  I actually like Cantousent better.  He's nicer.  A much better Christian than me.  hahahaha

Anyhow, 21 pages in all arguing over religion and science.  I'd like to say, and I mean it, that I don't have anything against atheists or atheism. I don't agree with it, but it's just not the measure I want to use in judging my friends.  I really try, as best I can, to leave judgment to God.  Why would anyone want to sit in judgment of other people?  How do Judges do it?

A good person, is a good person. How about we leave it at that friend. :wub:

We should be so lucky.

A good person, is a good person. How about we leave it at that friend. :o

Good advice. :lol:

- Everlast

A man will be judged by his deeds first and his words second. So who's a better Christian: a child-molesting priest or an atheist who lives his life honestly and does his share of charity work? After all, Christ did say that "whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

A man will be judged by his deeds first and his words second. So who's a better Christian: a child-molesting priest or an atheist who lives his life honestly and does his share of charity work? After all, Christ did say that "whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

What about a skillful rogue athiest that's a lose cannon. A real live wire just looking out for his own skin, until one day he gets a partner and must learn to work as a team with her, with all sorts of crazy hijinx and msiunderstanding with hilarious results along the way. Oh yeah, and machine gun arms, machine gun arms of justice.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I wish I know the reference but I don't. :lol:  :o  :'(

You don't know the reference because I wasn't making a reference to anything. I was just asking the question for... a friend... yeah, a friend...

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It is ... you, right? Am I right? I mean, am I right, fellas?

Thats uh, sort of my line...

Well actually, it's "Am I right fellas? I mean, am I right?"

Am I right fellas? I mean, am I right?

I don't think I've ever been on a primarily Christian board. I would think, if I were, I would disagree with a snide sort of response to someone being an atheist, but that still wouldn't mean it's okay for atheists to be snide to Christians. I can see why they are, but it's still not right.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Mothman, Eldar and Blank - "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." My suggestion: defend your faith when necessary but do so with a gladdened heart.

Edited by julianw

I don't think I've ever been on a primarily Christian board.  I would think, if I were, I would disagree with a snide sort of response to someone being an atheist, but that still wouldn't mean it's okay for atheists to be snide to Christians.  I can see why they are, but it's still not right.

As has been said ad nauseum in this thread, you can be Christian all you want without any trouble from the average atheist, agnostic, Jew, whatever. Right up until the point where you try to convince us you're right. And you get bonus points for actually quoting scripture to prove your point.

I don't think I've ever been on a primarily Christian board.  I would think, if I were, I would disagree with a snide sort of response to someone being an atheist, but that still wouldn't mean it's okay for atheists to be snide to Christians.  I can see why they are, but it's still not right.

As has been said ad nauseum in this thread, you can be Christian all you want without any trouble from the average atheist, agnostic, Jew, whatever. Right up until the point where you try to convince us you're right. And you get bonus points for actually quoting scripture to prove your point.

Think of yourself in their position though. What kind of Christians would they be if they truly believe in Christ's cause yet do not follow His example, which is to heal the 'sick' and make the 'blind' see? I would have more of a problem with the Christians who could care less about me going to 'Hell'. The Christians I have typed with on this forum have always shown great respect for others' beliefs and that is enough with me. None of them are exceedingly preachy, either.

But think of it in this way. When you find a great movie or a nice restaurant, don't you want to share what you have found with your friends and those you care for? I actually appreciate the Christians who share their beliefs with me. It at least shows that they are sincere about the faith and care for others. Some of them could be a little more tactful though.

I used to have a Christian floormate who is deeply concerned for my soul and every day he tells me I should convert. One night, the kid woke me up 2 am in the morning and cried to me something like 'save your soul now', so I was finally fed up with him and told him to shove it... You guys don't know how blessed you truly are that our Christian members are all so reasonable.

Edited by julianw

Think of yourself in their position though. What kind of Christians would they be if they truly believe in Christ's cause yet do not follow His example, which is to heal the 'sick' and make the 'blind' see? I would have more of a problem with the Christians who could care less about me going to 'Hell'. The Christians I have typed with on this forum have always shown great respect for others' beliefs and that is enough with me. None of them are exceedingly preachy, either.

But think of it in this way. When you find a great movie or a nice restaurant, don't you want to share what you have found with your friends and those whom you care for? I actually appreciate the Christians who share their beliefs with me. It at least shows that they are sincere about the faith and cares for others. Some of them could be a little more tactful though.

I used to have a Christian floormate who is deeply concerned for my soul and every day he tells me I should convert. One night, the kid woke me up 2 am in the morning and cries to me something like 'save your soul now', so I was finally fed up with him and told him to shove it... You guys don't know how blessed you truly are that our Christian members are all so reasonable.

We had a few guys like that back in college, too. And a couple more at finishing school.

Your example with the restaurant or movie doesn't really hold up, though. My buddy could tell me about a great place to eat downtown. That's fine. Let's say I go, and end up not liking it. Now, if he keeps telling me about how great it is, and I tell him that I didn't like it and don't intend to go back, and he still doesn't shut up...guess how annoying that'd get? And that's over a restaurant.

But hell, let's push it one step further. What if some of my buddy's fellow restaurant proponents started trying to get items from their favorite restaurant to replace stuff on the menus at every other restaurant in town? I'd be pretty ticked.

But hell, let's push it one step further.  What if some of my buddy's fellow restaurant proponents started trying to get items from their favorite restaurant to replace stuff on the menus at every other restaurant in town?  I'd be pretty ticked.

Sounds like U.S. capitalism. freedom fries anyone? :)

I want more sushi bars! :ermm:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

We had a few guys like that back in college, too.  And a couple more at finishing school. 

Your example with the restaurant or movie doesn't really hold up, though.  My buddy could tell me about a great place to eat downtown.  That's fine.  Let's say I go, and end up not liking it.  Now, if he keeps telling me about how great it is, and I tell him that I didn't like it and don't intend to go back, and he still doesn't shut up...guess how annoying that'd get?  And that's over a restaurant. 

But hell, let's push it one step further.  What if some of my buddy's fellow restaurant proponents started trying to get items from their favorite restaurant to replace stuff on the menus at every other restaurant in town?  I'd be pretty ticked.

Think about your friend who wouldn't give up until you actually went to see the movie with him and how enthusiastic he was about this; and that's just over a film. This is about the question. The ultimate question. The answer to life, universe and everything. He wouldn't be much of a friend if he ever gives up on persuading you about that (unless you persuade him to see things through your point of view first).

Edited by julianw

Mothman, Eldar and Blank - "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." My suggestion: defend your faith when necessary but do so with a gladdened heart.

I don't mind defending my faith. I actually don't think anyone in this thread has attacked me personally. Commissar is good for sparring and WITHTEETH has only honed his rhetoric over time. metadigital usually gets riled about the presentation as much as anything else. I actually don't feel as if I need to defend my faith because, let's face it, I'm usually trying my best to find a middle ground. The only thing that's actually got me riled in this thread so far is when folks jumped on Mothman. Otherwise, I've enjoyed the give and take.

Of course, I think there is a lot of ire directed at Christianity, but Christianity is still the dominant force in the United States. I can understand a certain amount of resentment on the part of atheists in this regard. I still believe atheists over-react to evangelism, but, then again, I've never had an atheist come to my door to pass out anti-religious tracts.

As a Catholic, I'm not particularly evangelical, which probably says something unflattering about me. Still, I'm not ashamed to discuss my religion, particularly when someone else brings up the subject. What I'm not willing to do is proclaim that someone else is going to hell. No matter what else the bible says, it reserves final judgment for the Lord. If that makes me a weak Christian, so be it.

Now, I believe in the way, the truth, and the life. So, to say that I don't want Christianity to flourish would be a lie. ...But I want Christianity to flourish for good reasons in good ways. Brow beating folks into religion isn't a good way to spread the faith, and doing so because you are compelled to do so for your organization is wrong. If you spread the good word because of your love of Christ, then you will be willing to relent and drop the issue with nothing more than a parting "God bless you."

I've thought a lot of books were good. I have often been unable to convince friends to give a lot of these good books a read. ...But I've always been willing to let the matter drop because, somewhere down the line, I know I have some influence over my friends and they have some influence over me. In the long run, even if I can't convince them on every issue, I can convince them on some. If I am unwilling to relent, then I will lose their friendship, and then I can convince them of nothing.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!