360 line up

I thought Halo 3 was coming out on launch day as well. Not that I'm looking forward to it, since I never played the second one and only made it halfway through the original.  But I thought Microsoft was making it a point to release H3 with the 360. :huh:

I think MS are planning to release Halo 3 on the same day as the release of the PS3.

Not only is the release day line-up lacking in oomph power, but apparently all of the first generation of software on the Xbox 360 aren't multi threaded, if this rumour turns out to be true. That means they'll use ONE of three cores available on the CPU.. Not a good sign for the PS3 either, since it's supposed to be even worse to work with.

Source: http://theinquirer.net/?article=27249

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Here's what I don't get... folks complain that Oblivion won't be out on the day the 360 hits the shelves. Who cares? We know it's coming out soon afterwards. It's not like it's going to turn into vaporware. So it's not out the exact same day? So what?

Furthermore, if there are titles for the Revolution and PS3 that aren't out the exact same day, but we know they're coming soon, why would it matter much. I guess this is just me showing my consoling noobishness, but it just seems silly to anyone except folks who were going to buy the system on day one anyhow. ...And I suspect that some of the folks complaining about the line-up in this thread weren't going to buy a 360 no matter what the line-up.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not only is the release day line-up lacking in oomph power, but apparently all of the first generation of software on the Xbox 360 aren't multi threaded, if this rumour turns out to be true. That means they'll use ONE of three cores available on the CPU.. Not a good sign for the PS3 either, since it's supposed to be even worse to work with.

Source: http://theinquirer.net/?article=27249

Interesting. Didn't Epiphany say that Call of Duty 2 was using all three processors, and that it "clearly showed" because of how great the game ran?

Here's what I don't get... folks complain that Oblivion won't be out on the day the 360 hits the shelves.  Who cares?  We know it's coming out soon afterwards.  It's not like it's going to turn into vaporware.  So it's not  out the exact same day?  So what?

Furthermore, if there are titles for the Revolution and PS3 that aren't out the exact same day, but we know they're coming soon, why would it matter much.  I guess this is just me showing my consoling noobishness, but it just seems silly to anyone except folks who were going to buy the system on day one anyhow.  ...And I suspect that some of the folks complaining about the line-up in this thread weren't going to buy a 360 no matter what the line-up.

The problem is you end up owning a console without any games worth playing. Funnily enough the strength of a console is based on the number of killer apps it has, so if there arent any at launch why should anybody buy a console? Fortunately for console manufacturers this is counteracted by rabid fanboys' geekish need to own everything as soon as it is available.

Here's what I don't get... folks complain that Oblivion won't be out on the day the 360 hits the shelves.  Who cares?  We know it's coming out soon afterwards.  It's not like it's going to turn into vaporware.  So it's not  out the exact same day?  So what?

Furthermore, if there are titles for the Revolution and PS3 that aren't out the exact same day, but we know they're coming soon, why would it matter much.  I guess this is just me showing my consoling noobishness, but it just seems silly to anyone except folks who were going to buy the system on day one anyhow.  ...And I suspect that some of the folks complaining about the line-up in this thread weren't going to buy a 360 no matter what the line-up.

The problem is you end up owning a console without any games worth playing. Funnily enough the strength of a console is based on the number of killer apps it has, so if there arent any at launch why should anybody buy a console? Fortunately for console manufacturers this is counteracted by rabid fanboys' geekish need to own everything as soon as it is available.

That would make sense, if it wasn't possible to buy a console later. I've never bought any console at launch. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the console later though.

I thought Halo 3 was coming out on launch day as well. Not that I'm looking forward to it, since I never played the second one and only made it halfway through the original.  But I thought Microsoft was making it a point to release H3 with the 360. :-

I think MS are planning to release Halo 3 on the same day as the release of the PS3.

Which was going to be the day they released Longhorn, except they lost all the features on the way to the marketplace, so they called it something more reminiscent of vapourware: Vista ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oddly enough, a large number of gamers are considering Kameo, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Condemned to all be killer aps for the the X360 at launch. While many FPS fanboys are considering CoD2 to be a killer ap - but PC reviews are starting to debunk that frame of mind.

Regardless, you're left with an action/adventure game, racing game, and a first person game all of which are expected to be of the "killer ap" quality, much like Oblivion and Gears of War are expected.

Epiphany, what's your take on this link: http://theinquirer.net/?article=27249

It's Microsoft stating that none of the first-generation games are multi-threaded.

While I don't know all of the games, this report is, in fact false to some degree.

Bethesda claimed Oblivion was "heavily" multi-threaded in a thread on their forums about that very article. While the CoD2 guys said at the Digital Life show in NYC that CoD2 used all the cores, and was multi-threaded for AI, physics, and the like.

Elder Scrolls forum thread

from thread:

BZZZT! Wrong. Oblivion is heavily multithreaded, and definitely benefits from multi core processors, multiple processors and hyperthreading. Someone doesn't have their facts straight, and as someone who's actually working on the game, I can say with certainty that it's not me :rolleyes:
Edited by Epiphany

Epiphany, what's your take on this link: http://theinquirer.net/?article=27249

It's Microsoft stating that none of the first-generation games are multi-threaded.

While I don't know all of the games, this report is, in fact false to some degree.

Bethesda claimed Oblivion was "heavily" multi-threaded in a thread on their forums about that very article. While the CoD2 guys said at the Digital Life show in NYC that CoD2 used all the cores, and was multi-threaded for AI, physics, and the like.

Elder Scrolls forum thread

from thread:

BZZZT! Wrong. Oblivion is heavily multithreaded, and definitely benefits from multi core processors, multiple processors and hyperthreading. Someone doesn't have their facts straight, and as someone who's actually working on the game, I can say with certainty that it's not me :(

Your quote from the Bethesda employee was directed at a poster that was including Bethesda as the developers. I think The Inquirer is referring to just games released upon the launch of the console (which is still stupid of them to do). In any case The Inquirer has never really been a gem of reliable journalism.

Here's in interesting read for everyone if they haven't read it it:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars/1

Your quote from the Bethesda employee was directed at a poster that was including Bethesda as the developers.  I think The Inquirer is referring to just games released upon the launch of the console (which is still stupid of them to do).  In any case The Inquirer has never really been a gem of reliable journalism.

Here's in interesting read for everyone if they haven't read it it:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars/1

You said something along the lines of "all first generation games" - which encompasses much more than just the "launch games" - of which Call of Duty - a multi-threaded game is part of. With Oblivion only being a couple of weeks later.

I also remember Cliffy B talking about Gears of War being multi-threaded, but I don't recall the source of the interview.

LOL!

Then I guess you'll be even more unimpressed about the PS3 and Cell - since it's a multi-threaded processor as well.

Well that depends what's done with it.

If they are already tapping most of the power to come up with the likes of Oblivion, well like I said colour me unimpressed.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

LOL!

Then I guess you'll be even more unimpressed about the PS3 and Cell - since it's a multi-threaded processor as well.

Well that depends what's done with it.

If they are already tapping most of the power to come up with the likes of Oblivion, well like I said colour me unimpressed.

Multi-threading a game, and using all available power/resources are vastly different.

But yeah, you're cynical, so keep up the hate.

Multi-threading a game, and using all available power/resources are vastly different.

But yeah, you're cynical, so keep up the hate.

Yes but multithreading was supposed to be revolutionary remember ? You said it yourself not so long ago...

Thing is none of those games are revolutionary and they all run as well, or better on a pretty "normal" gaming PC.

So where is the revolution of multithreading ?

Well cynic and realist are not too far appart. Funny because as I recall you were less than thrilled with the games you saw running on the 360 as well..

What was it ? Call of Duty and Oblivion were the only impressive things there ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]