PS3 costs scaring away developers?

Epiphany

So how where they?

Oblivion - Fantastic, everything they've promised us - I loved how arrows were effected by physics. Archery will actually require skill to use. I got to mess around with the beginning stages of the game, got some weapons, saw the radiant AI in use with some rats, and then with some NPC's - it is in effect for everything. The rats actually ran from trouble (not from you, but from something else) - totally awsome. Framerate wasn't totally nailed down yet, there were a couple of times it dipped a bit, but the dev there told everyone that the framerate would be ironed out by launch. The graphics are incredible, the forest is so believable looking, especially when you see it in real time. The way the trees sway. The combat, while not revolutionary, was vastly superior than in Morrowind, and pretty much every other FPRPG game out there. You have more attack options, and the combat is more "twitch" style, when you having to block on your own and striking when the time is right. Hitting an opponent while they block leaves you open to being pummeled.

Condemned - The sleeper hit of this first wave of launch titles for next-gen. The engine is incredible, the combat is very realistic, as are the graphics, sounds, and gameplay itself. Some people may not like the crime invesigative tone to the game, but it's really cool. The guy you play is scared of the dark, and a lot of the game puts you in intense situations. It was far too loud to hear all the creepy noises, but there occasions where a guy would just jump out from around a corner and start beating on you. The game itself is, again, very realistic, but it did take it a little too far, IMO. You can only carry one weapon at a time, whether it's a gun, or a crowbar. Improvised weapons are there, so you can pull a pipe off the wall and start beating someone with it if you need to. Guns have limited ammo, and some guns you pick up may only have 1-2 shots in them. Plus, with the melee wepaons, you can block. Texture work was very impressive - game totally shocked me. It went from "I don't really care about this game" to a "must buy this game the day it comes out". It was so impressive, I'm glad it's a multiplatform release, so people that aren't getting a X360 can have the chance to play this game.

Call of Duty 2 - WOW. This game was brilliant. The dev said they were using all three cores - one for graphics processing with the GPU, one for AI, and one for effects and physics. It showed. The game was butter smooth, and intense. The AI was great, especially for a shooter. I don't like FPS all that much, I do play a few from time to time. This one, I'll definately rent, and go from there. War games are stale to me now, there's been too many of them, and quite frankly, I've had enough. I really wish these guys would get a little more innovative with their products. But, for a war game, and for a shooter, it's the best one out there, and one of the best FPS ever, in my opinion.

Need for Speed - Dull. Had I played this before PGR3, I might have felt different. But it's just too tedious. Framerate was laughable, the game was hard to watch, since it was so choppy. Classic EA crap, if you ask me.

Ok, my interest has been piqued...though I can get Oblivion, NFS:MW, and CoD 2 for PC, pretty soon too.

CoD 2's demo runs seamlessly, on max settings...so do you guys think Oblivion will be the same, or at least similar in performance?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

The Xbox 360 preplay article is now up: http://www.spel2.se/artiklar/5.html

I'll quickly translate some of it for the non-swedish speakers among us (hethens!).

"Xbox 360 - The first playing session

This is the first console-generation I don't need.

Nintendo 8-bit gave the people 2D. The Super Nintendo made the 2D beautiful. The Playstatin gave us 3D. The Playstation 2 made it beautiful. The Xbox 360 makes 3D more beautiful, but for whom?

The new generation comes too quickly, and it sort of doesn't matter how many new functions the Xbox 360 has when it has no impact on the gameplay. The new thing about the new generation is that it lacks news. Or if you listen to the PR-presentation there are of course hundreds of child safety news, user friendy news and how great the console is as a media station. But I want to play.

And you can play, it is probably the best games console so far, but it's not a new generation. It doesn't feel like when I took my first cautious steps in Super Mario 64, or like when I was immersed by the sheer speed of Wipeout. Playing games on the Xbox 360 is like playing games on the Xbox, where someone's been fiddling with a super wipe cloth on the HDTV. Because if you look past the graphics, Project Gotham Racing 3, Dead or Alive 4 and Perfect Dark Zero are exactly like their equivalents on the Xbox.

The Xbox 360 is the beginning of five years of stagnation."

Pretty much on the money. The PS3 offers something new in the fact your getting a free new gen media player as well as a console (plus whatever the cell kickstarts). The revolution has the same possibilities as the famicom when it comes to innovation. The 360 is not much more than a PC upgade and the games reflect it thus far. It has to be one of the most unexiting lanch line ups to date.

I'd be mildly interested in Kameo, but Rares latest offerings have been less than steller, and Kameo was supposed to be an Xbox title (among others) before making the switch.

Don't know about anyone else, but If I'm supposed to pay another

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Before it was supposed to be an Xbox title it was supposed to be a Cube title.

Nintendo doesn't generally let crappy games on their consoles.

I know, thats what among others refered too. It was a long time ago now though. As I recall I got a demo of Kameo with Sudeki and wasnt hugely impressed.

Rare have made some fantastic games, but the recent ones have either been remakes, or just not very good.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I know.  I miss the glory days or Rare.  It seems even Perfect Dark Zero isn't really all that great.  :'(

Thats because now FPS's are two a penny on consoles these. Rare kind of reminds me of a really great footballer who gets transfered to another club and then never plays the same way again. :rolleyes:

As I recall in Kameo you play a sort of pixie thing that can morph into other creatures to solve various puzzles, kill stuff, that sort of thing. Pretty standard action/adventure fare.

478327[/snapback]

Today's Rare is not the same one from the Goldeneye days, half the original Goldeneye team left and who knows what other chnges occurred since they stopped being an in house producer for Ninty.

That might go some way to explaining the decline in quality. Its a shame though

Edited by Surreptishus

Today's Rare is not the same one from the Goldeneye days, half the original Goldeneye team left and who knows what other chnges occurred since they stopped being an in house producer for Ninty.

That might go some way to explaining the decline in quality. Its a shame though

I'm not sure whether it's Rare, after all companies come and go. But rather that no one has stepped up to fill the gap they left.

I had a look over the upcoming GC list and there are 7 out of the top 10 I want.

with the DS and the PSP I I dont think I will need another console till this time next year. I'd be less interested in the PS3 too, if it didnt have all the additional bells and whistles.

478327[/snapback]

I'll quickly translate some of it for the non-swedish speakers among us (hethens!).

Nintendo 8-bit gave the people 2D. The Super Nintendo made the 2D beautiful. The Playstatin gave us 3D. The Playstation 2 made it beautiful. The Xbox 360 makes 3D more beautiful, but for whom?

The new generation comes too quickly, and it sort of doesn't matter how many new functions the Xbox 360 has when it has no impact on the gameplay. The new thing about the new generation is that it lacks news. Or if you listen to the PR-presentation there are of course hundreds of child safety news, user friendy news and how great the console is as a media station. But I want to play.

And you can play, it is probably the best games console so far, but it's not a new generation. It doesn't feel like when I took my first cautious steps in Super Mario 64, or like when I was immersed by the sheer speed of Wipeout. Playing games on the Xbox 360 is like playing games on the Xbox, where someone's been fiddling with a super wipe cloth on the HDTV. Because if you look past the graphics, Project Gotham Racing 3, Dead or Alive 4 and Perfect Dark Zero are exactly like their equivalents on the Xbox.

Wow, just horrible... wow.

Oblivion seems more and more like the ultimate sandbox-game, but i'll buy that one for the PC. I couldn't care much for the rest (where's Lost Odyssey?)

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon aren't launch titles, so they weren't displayed at Digital Life.

Oh, no reason for me to a Xbox360 at launch then.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Pretty much on the money. The PS3 offers something new in the fact your getting a free new gen media player as well as a console (plus whatever the cell kickstarts). The revolution has the same possibilities as the famicom when it comes to innovation. The 360 is not much more than a PC upgade and the games reflect it thus far. It has to be one of the most unexiting lanch line ups to date.

I'd be mildly interested in Kameo, but Rares latest offerings have been less than steller, and Kameo was supposed to be an Xbox title (among others) before making the switch.

Don't know about anyone else, but If I'm supposed to pay another

Which is pretty much why most consider it the xbox 1.5.

Microsoft was just too desperate to get out "first".. and in the end it's going to bite them.

I don't expect them to finally make an Xbox 2.0 after this is all said and done.

It's a fairly apt name all things considered. 360 is a funny name too since it's going around in a circle and ending up right back where you started. Perhaps MS have a sense of humour :D

Well with the Xbox they tried the tech edge and still got beaten seriously by the PS2. Now they are trying the miminalistic edge in order to make some money. Therefore it's important to be on the scene before the PS3 comes along and people realise the mistake. One hopes it does bite them, because I'm a big fan of progress and not 5 years of stagnation.

Well there was some talk about future 360's carrying HDDVD when it's ready. Two problems with this as I see it. HDDVD has pretty much missed the boat now since most if not all studios have embraced blu ray. Second and most important from gaming perspective, you cant play a DvD game on the HD player and vice versa. Which means that even if you had the HDDVD it could not be used for gaming purposes without screwing over everyone who bought a DVD 360.

478327[/snapback]

Which is pretty much why most consider it the xbox 1.5.

Microsoft was just too desperate to get out "first".. and in the end it's going to bite them.

I don't expect them to finally make an Xbox 2.0 after this is all said and done.

Only Sony considers it a Xbox 1.5, or Sony fanboys. The simple fact of the matter is the X360 can do, graphically, anything the PS3 can do. It's amazing how uninformed people are regarding the console, and how they think that just because it's a "PS3" the console will bring some revolutionary impact on gaming.

The X360 has the best development tools developers have worked with. Many developers have backed this claim, including John Carmack, in a recent G4TV interview - in which they continually tried to get him to claim the PS3 was "better". He simply looked at them and said developing for a console with better tools is superior than developing for a console that has marginally superior FLOP performance.

When development cycles are in the years and years now, for many games, having the tools there, to make life easier, will only allow the product to be made with greater efficiency.

The X360 will be in 3rd/4th generation games when the PS3 finally breaks out of its 1st gen games. That's what great development software does for you.

But hey, reasoning and common sense never works here, so I don't even know why I try.

Only Sony considers it a Xbox 1.5, or Sony fanboys.  The simple fact of the matter is the X360 can do, graphically, anything the PS3 can do.  It's amazing how uninformed people are regarding the console, and how they think that just because it's a "PS3" the console will bring some revolutionary impact on gaming.

The X360 has the best development tools developers have worked with.  Many developers have backed this claim, including John Carmack, in a recent G4TV interview - in which they continually tried to get him to claim the PS3 was "better".  He simply looked at them and said developing for a console with better tools is superior than developing for a console that has marginally superior FLOP performance.

When development cycles are in the years and years now, for many games, having the tools there, to make life easier, will only allow the product to be made with greater efficiency.

The X360 will be in 3rd/4th generation games when the PS3 finally breaks out of its 1st gen games.  That's what great development software does for you.

But hey, reasoning and common sense never works here, so I don't even know why I try.

Funny I don't think anyone has said that. If you want inovation, the only place your going to get it is Nintendo. Why the PS3 simple , it does everything the 360 can and a LOT more besides. Whether or not the 360 can match the PS3 graphically is meaningless (and it's debatable whether or not it will anyway). What you just said in a nutshell is the 360 is a Xbox graphic upgrade :thumbsup:

Again which console has shown the most improvement over the generation :D

Years and years from now your still stuck with a DvD while the PS3 developers are making use of the full potential of Blu Ray. The whole development tools arguement dosnt hold much water either since the PS2 was known to be a pain to develop for, it still didnt stop developers developing for it.

Reasoning and common sense work wonder here. Maybe you should try it sometime ;)

478327[/snapback]

Could you people just sorta agree to disagree and let this rest?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Oh, right! You mean like:

A console isn't a computer, regardless of what people think, Hades_One.

That must be it! ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh dear me. I've not had such a good laugh in a long time. Please, go on! I'm sure I can get some more laughs out of this conversation. :blink:

"A console isn't a computer, regardless of what people think." Quote of the year!

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Yeah, I'm glad that clownboy could drop the quote (again, out of context) here. Hopefully, it'll continue to be taken as a stand alone comment, rather than part of a much larger discussion on personal computers and consoles and their fundamental differences.

But hey, since you all really don't have any way of factually disagreeing with the points brought up, you have to band together and continue the ignorance. It's been fun watching you all side step every issue that was brought up because you either don't understand it, or are simply unable to actually debate it otherwise.

See you the next time news arrives that's worth posting here (even though it falls on the minds of miserable cynics).

Yeah, I'm glad that clownboy could drop the quote (again, out of context) here.  Hopefully, it'll continue to be taken as a stand alone comment, rather than part of a much larger discussion on personal computers and consoles and their fundamental differences.

But hey, since you all really don't have any way of factually disagreeing with the points brought up, you have to band together and continue the ignorance.  It's been fun watching you all side step every issue that was brought up because you either don't understand it, or are simply unable to actually debate it otherwise.

See you the next time news arrives that's worth posting here (even though it falls on the minds of miserable cynics).

Heres a thought , maybe your just wrong and the reason no one agrees with you is because they know you are wrong :)

478327[/snapback]

If that quote is so out of context, how come no one has seen it your way?

Once Hades said "A computer is a computer" he shifted the focus away from just PCs.

If unified memory is the end all be all for consoles, why wouldn't it be the end all be all for "other" computers?