PS3 costs scaring away developers?

Epiphany

Not true at all. The RSX is not even the same architecture as the 6800 series. Where did you get that from? The closest relative to the RSX in the Nvidia family is the Geforce 7800 GTX. That's one generation later than the 6800.

That was my bad, it was a typo and getting Nvidia's model numbers mixed up. The RSX is essentially an overclocked 7800 - nothing new, nothing custom.

And the RSX is custom built for the PS3. It will not appear in any other shape or form than in the PS3. That it's based off of a known architecture does not nullify that fact.

The fact it's a 7800 proves it will, and has already appeared elsewhere. Just because they write a couple of additional instructions so it can communicate with cell does not mean it's a custom GPU. It's no different than the Xbox GPU - which was just a slightly modified PC GPU, with a few additional instructions and a different clock cycle.

BIG DEAL.

You keep repeating that Microsoft mantra, but it's simply not true. And I'm sick of giving you links to read about this.. See that other thread as to why this isn't true (unless Xbox 360 developers somehow manage to exploit all the power of the Xenos and the CELL becomes unfulfilled, which is highly unlikely in the real world).

MS mantra, IBM tech mantra, and pretty much the mantra of everyone that understands the underlying aspects of both processors.

Where can I read about Nvidia's plans for unified shaders?

here - when they say "NVIDIA stated that they will eventually do a unified shader GPU, but before then there are a number of other GPU enhancements that they are looking to implement." - and - "From NVIDIA's standpoint, a unified shader architecture offers higher peak performance (e.g. all pixel instructions, or all vertex instructions) but getting good performance in more balanced scenarios is more difficult. The other issue is that the instruction mix for pixel and vertex shaders are very different, so the optimal functional units required for each are going to be different. The final issue is that a unified shader architecture, from NVIDIA's standpoint, requires a much more complex design, which will in turn increase die area." - after saying they already made a USA model - the whole die comment was blown out of the water after Nvidia had this conversation, when ATi announced their die yields on Xenos were much lower.

By the way, one of our staff was at a press showing of the Xbox 360 and Project Zero. He was not impressed. In fact, what he said was, "Was that all..?" (but in swedish). You used the word groundbreaking, but that sure wasn't visible in one of the major release titles for the Xbox 360. Worrying?

Your friends opinion vs everyone else in the industry talking about how brilliant Kameo, Oblivion, PGR3, N3, Condemned, Gears of War, etc... look.

Yeah, your friend is spot in with his "Project Zero" impressions. Hey, lets judge the PS3 by this game shot!

fifth-phantom-saga-20050516074346890.jpg

This is the only known game with actual screen shots of gameplay itself. By your standards, since one X360 game didn't live up to your friends standards, then the PS3 has a dismal future as a Playstation 2.1 - since this shot of ingame, playable footage is pure and utter crap.

I WIN!

Edited by Epiphany

Sorry, you have to be a functional member of society, and in paticular, the topic of these threads in order for your opinions to matter. Sadly, your comments are mostly 1-5 word responses of ignorance that add to nothing except your post count. Please do your "+1's" elsewhere.

edit: typos

Edited by Epiphany

I see.. so a mindless flaming fanboi like yourself is supposed to have "opinions" that matter?

While anyone who disagrees with you doesn't?

Hmm... lemme think.

No.

You don't own a Xbox 1.5, let alone touched a PS3 (and as you yourself have said there's only 1 set of screenshots out apparently) thus your whole argument is pretty much coming out of your ass with little to no information to back it up other than a fanboi fantasy of supposed console greatness?

did I miss anything?

Edited: Typos... though I'm sure there are more.

Edited by Darque

Since you aren't in the industry, whether you buy into the "generations ahead of PC GPU's" comment or not, does not change the fact that not a single person that has direct knowledge of Xenos has commented otherwise. The GPU is a monster, the eDRAM, and the USA put it leagues ahead what's out now, and what's coming in 2006.

It's called marketting hype. It's been around for quite some time now.

That was my bad, it was a typo and getting Nvidia's model numbers mixed up.  The RSX is essentially an overclocked 7800 - nothing new, nothing custom.

Yeah, a 'typo'. Right. You've never tried to downplay the PS3 before either.. :rolleyes:

The fact it's a 7800 proves it will, and has already appeared elsewhere.  Just because they write a couple of additional instructions so it can communicate with cell does not mean it's a custom GPU.  It's no different than the Xbox GPU - which was just a slightly modified PC GPU, with a few additional instructions and a different clock cycle.

It's not a Geforce 7800, it is a new GPU based on a parent architecture. You won't get it this time either, but it is custom built.

MS mantra, IBM tech mantra, and pretty much the mantra of everyone that understands the underlying aspects of both processors.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Well, except for you, who willingly swallows Microsoft's entire load without hesitating for a second.

Your friends opinion vs everyone else in the industry talking about how brilliant Kameo, Oblivion, PGR3, N3, Condemned, Gears of War, etc... look.

The entire swedish game press who were there weren't exactly thrilled over what they were shown by Microsoft. Not even after they got to lie in Joanna Dark's bed and play the game. Microsoft really tried to impress, but most of the journalists in the room just.. weren't (with a few exceptions of course.. mainly graphic whores). We're quite a small group where everyone knows each other, from PCGamer to the more obscure game sites/magazines, and from what we could tell, they won't be throwing roses over the Xbox 360 either. There just wasn't anything grondbreaking on display.

And as usual you're talking about stuff you know nothing about. The only ones gushing over the next gen consoles are the hype machines of Sony and Microsoft. Oh, and the official Xbox and Playstation magazines..

This is the only known game with actual screen shots of gameplay itself.  By your standards, since one X360 game didn't live up to your friends standards, then the PS3 has a dismal future as a Playstation 2.1 - since this shot of ingame, playable footage is pure and utter crap.

Do you honestly believe that's how PS3 graphics is going to look like in general OR did you dig up the worst you could find to continue to troll, show your ignorance and prove nothing? And since when does one screenshot equal the same experience as lying in a specifically designed gaming room, a 40 inch LCD TV, mighty surround speakers, playing a next gen console with a super hyped launch title?

The Playstation 3 doesn't have a release date yet. I don't even think the final hardware is finalized yet. And yet you're trying to prove something by saying there's no real screenshots of a game running from that machine..? It might be hard to imagine that your dream of a 'groundbreaking' machine is just hype, but that's how the Xbox 360 looks so far. From the ones who have actually touched and played it. Sorry.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I knew I had read this somewhere!

"PlayStation 3, I think, is going to be cheaper to develop for than the corresponding period of PS2 development."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59243

Since it's a Sony spokesman stating that, take it with a grain of salt. I don't believe the numbers mentioned earlier in the thread either though.

Edit: I hate typos.

Edited by mkreku

Yeah, a 'typo'. Right. You've never tried to downplay the PS3 before either..  :lol:

Yet, as always, you willingly forget the threads where I posted cool information on the PS3/Cell. Selective memories rocks.

It's not a Geforce 7800, it is a new GPU based on a parent architecture. You won't get it this time either, but it is custom built.

Yeah, it's as custom as the Xbox GPU - translation - it's Nvidia custom which means different clock cycle, console instruction sets.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Well, except for you, who willingly swallows Microsoft's entire load without hesitating for a second.

But you've dismissed the X360 GPU because of your friends impressions with "Project Zero". Whatever that is...

The entire swedish game press who were there weren't exactly thrilled over what they were shown by Microsoft. Not even after they got to lie in Joanna Dark's bed and play the game. Microsoft really tried to impress, but most of the journalists in the room just.. weren't (with a few exceptions of course.. mainly graphic whores). We're quite a small group where everyone knows each other, from PCGamer to the more obscure game sites/magazines, and from what we could tell, they won't be throwing roses over the Xbox 360 either. There just wasn't anything grondbreaking on display.

lol

And as usual you're talking about stuff you know nothing about. The only ones gushing over the next gen consoles are the hype machines of Sony and Microsoft. Oh, and the official Xbox and Playstation magazines..

many other sources as well

Do you honestly believe that's how PS3 graphics is going to look like in general OR did you dig up the worst you could find to continue to troll, show your ignorance and prove nothing? And since when does one screenshot equal the same experience as lying in a specifically designed gaming room, a 40 inch LCD TV, mighty surround speakers, playing a next gen console with a super hyped launch title?

You're the genius that discredited the X360 GPU because of "Project Zero" - so I picked the only avaliable gameplay for the PS3 that's been released to gage the power of the PS3.

You act foolish, I'll act foolish.

The Playstation 3 doesn't have a release date yet.

Yeah, the whole Sony claiming "Spring 2006" never happened...

I don't even think the final hardware is finalized yet. And yet you're trying to prove something by saying there's no real screenshots of a game running from that machine..? It might be hard to imagine that your dream of a 'groundbreaking' machine is just hype, but that's how the Xbox 360 looks so far. From the ones who have actually touched and played it. Sorry.

Yet all hands-on previews of games have been glowing, minus the silliness of Perfect Dark Zero. That game is hype gone wrong, everything else people have enjoyed, by a great deal. But hey, the Swedish press hated it, so the console must suck!

Epiphany, even following your logic that these are just modified, it still is customized.

NONONONONONONONONONONO!

Dudes, Epiphany is on ignore in my user options, so I'd like to know if this^ penultimate post is worth revealing. Somehow I doubt it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ah, I thought the thread might get closure. Oh well, thanks Hades.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yet, as always, you willingly forget the threads where I posted cool information on the PS3/Cell.  Selective memories rocks.

Maybe in your skewed world does one neutral thread about the CELL somehow negate all the PS3 bashing you've been vomiting over this forum for months. But not in the real world. Sorry, bud.

Yeah, it's as custom as the Xbox GPU - translation - it's Nvidia custom which means different clock cycle, console instruction sets.

Look up the word custom. There are free dictionaries on the internet! Imagine that.

You're the genius that discredited the X360 GPU because of "Project Zero" - so I picked the only avaliable gameplay for the PS3 that's been released to gage the power of the PS3.

So you're still saying that hearing someone describe how a game looks that they've been able to play for hours on end is equal to a purposely handpicked ugly picture found on the net? Yup, foolish is the word.

It's great graphics, but is it groundbreaking? Nope. It's the same old with slightly better graphics. Besides, we didn't discuss that game in particular, we discussed the Xbox 360 experience in general. You'll soon see what we mean when you get your greasy little hands on your own box..

Yeah, the whole Sony claiming "Spring 2006" never happened...

Notice how I used the phrase "release date"? Another one of those long, difficult words, huh? Look, I'll help you:

date

- The point of time at which a transaction or event takes place, or is appointed to take place; a given point of time; epoch; as, the date of a battle. A specific day.

I even marked the important parts in the text! Think you'll get it now? Spring != date.

Yet all hands-on previews of games have been glowing, minus the silliness of Perfect Dark Zero.  That game is hype gone wrong, everything else people have enjoyed, by a great deal.  But hey, the Swedish press hated it, so the console must suck!

Who said the entire swedish gaming press hated it?

The (almost) entire swedish gaming press said, "Huh? Was that all? Was that what Microsoft wants us to shell out $350-400 for? There's nothing new here..?".

Noone hated it. The Xbox 360 just didn't live up to the hype.