PS3 costs scaring away developers?

Epiphany

So how where they?

Oblivion - Fantastic, everything they've promised us - I loved how arrows were effected by physics. Archery will actually require skill to use. I got to mess around with the beginning stages of the game, got some weapons, saw the radiant AI in use with some rats, and then with some NPC's - it is in effect for everything. The rats actually ran from trouble (not from you, but from something else) - totally awsome. Framerate wasn't totally nailed down yet, there were a couple of times it dipped a bit, but the dev there told everyone that the framerate would be ironed out by launch. The graphics are incredible, the forest is so believable looking, especially when you see it in real time. The way the trees sway. The combat, while not revolutionary, was vastly superior than in Morrowind, and pretty much every other FPRPG game out there. You have more attack options, and the combat is more "twitch" style, when you having to block on your own and striking when the time is right. Hitting an opponent while they block leaves you open to being pummeled.

Kameo - Brilliant looking. Not really my type of game though. It plays similar to an adventure game, like Fable or something. There were like 2 or 3 different elemental forms you could play with there - but since it wasn't my type of game, I didn't spend a lot of time with it.

Condemned - The sleeper hit of this first wave of launch titles for next-gen. The engine is incredible, the combat is very realistic, as are the graphics, sounds, and gameplay itself. Some people may not like the crime invesigative tone to the game, but it's really cool. The guy you play is scared of the dark, and a lot of the game puts you in intense situations. It was far too loud to hear all the creepy noises, but there occasions where a guy would just jump out from around a corner and start beating on you. The game itself is, again, very realistic, but it did take it a little too far, IMO. You can only carry one weapon at a time, whether it's a gun, or a crowbar. Improvised weapons are there, so you can pull a pipe off the wall and start beating someone with it if you need to. Guns have limited ammo, and some guns you pick up may only have 1-2 shots in them. Plus, with the melee wepaons, you can block. Texture work was very impressive - game totally shocked me. It went from "I don't really care about this game" to a "must buy this game the day it comes out". It was so impressive, I'm glad it's a multiplatform release, so people that aren't getting a X360 can have the chance to play this game.

Project Gotham Racing 3 - I'm not a big racing game fan, but this game sort of changed that for me. The graphics are so life-like from inside the car that you actually feel you're there. With a force-feedback wheel, this could be a full on racing simulator. Again, graphics were phenomenal, gameplay was fun, still not a fan of the "kudos" system of PGR though so I'll pass on the title, but future racing games, if they adopt this ultra realistic visual style, could really be fun.

Perfect Dark Zero - Unimpressive. Too much hype by Rare fanboys about how perfect the game would be. The graphics are nice, the bump mapping was cool, but everything else was bland. The gameplay was good though, fans of the N64 game were loving all the various weapons. I'm sure the online play will be fun though, with the big servers and whatnot. Didn't spend a lot of time with the game, since I didn't care for it that much, nor was I looking foward to it.

Call of Duty 2 - WOW. This game was brilliant. The dev said they were using all three cores - one for graphics processing with the GPU, one for AI, and one for effects and physics. It showed. The game was butter smooth, and intense. The AI was great, especially for a shooter. I don't like FPS all that much, I do play a few from time to time. This one, I'll definately rent, and go from there. War games are stale to me now, there's been too many of them, and quite frankly, I've had enough. I really wish these guys would get a little more innovative with their products. But, for a war game, and for a shooter, it's the best one out there, and one of the best FPS ever, in my opinion.

NBA Live 06 - Sucked. Animations were lame, the controls were horrible. It was a typical EA product, if you ask me. I spent all of 10 minutes fumbling around the court, watching the player not do what I wanted. It was awful.

Need for Speed - Dull. Had I played this before PGR3, I might have felt different. But it's just too tedious. Framerate was laughable, the game was hard to watch, since it was so choppy. Classic EA crap, if you ask me.

Dead of Alive 4 - People seemed to be having fun. I don't like fighting games, but I did watch some people play it. They were having a blast. The graphics looked nice, but nothing leaps and bounds above what Team Ninja did on the Xbox. I think he started on the game too early. His (Itagki) art style just doesn't seem to lend itself to next-gen yet. All the characters look the same as previous generations, just cleaner. Hair and cloth physics were better, the backgrounds were lifelike, but the models themselves still looked the same. In some cases, without the stunning backgrounds, Ninja Gaiden Black looked better. :wub:

Sorry, I didn't play Gears of War, I listed that by mistake. Fingers got ahead of my mind.

So how where they?

Oblivion - Fantastic, everything they've promised us - I loved how arrows were effected by physics. Archery will actually require skill to use. I got to mess around with the beginning stages of the game, got some weapons, saw the radiant AI in use with some rats, and then with some NPC's - it is in effect for everything. The rats actually ran from trouble (not from you, but from something else) - totally awsome. Framerate wasn't totally nailed down yet, there were a couple of times it dipped a bit, but the dev there told everyone that the framerate would be ironed out by launch. The graphics are incredible, the forest is so believable looking, especially when you see it in real time. The way the trees sway. The combat, while not revolutionary, was vastly superior than in Morrowind, and pretty much every other FPRPG game out there. You have more attack options, and the combat is more "twitch" style, when you having to block on your own and striking when the time is right. Hitting an opponent while they block leaves you open to being pummeled.

Call of Duty 2 - WOW. This game was brilliant. The dev said they were using all three cores - one for graphics processing with the GPU, one for AI, and one for effects and physics. It showed. The game was butter smooth, and intense. The AI was great, especially for a shooter. I don't like FPS all that much, I do play a few from time to time. This one, I'll definately rent, and go from there. War games are stale to me now, there's been too many of them, and quite frankly, I've had enough. I really wish these guys would get a little more innovative with their products. But, for a war game, and for a shooter, it's the best one out there, and one of the best FPS ever, in my opinion.

Oh you. You're such a tease.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So Oblivion is more twitch than rpg?  Well, that is disappointing.  This does not bode well for Fallout 3.

Twitch in the sense that you can't fight with your eyes closed anymore. You need to constantly be aware of what's going on, ready to block, ready to jump (not literally) in and hit, and then jump out. Stuff like that. Combat is much more intuative this time around.

It's basically what everyone wanted when they complained about the combat in Morrowind. It's no longer boring after the first mudcrab fight.

So Oblivion is more twitch than rpg?  Well, that is disappointing.  This does not bode well for Fallout 3.

It's not like thats a suprise it's not exactly something they just sprung , it was intended from the outset to intergrate the stats into the action.

Granted Bethesda is a bit of a one trick pony games wise, so perhaps your fears about FO3 have more weight than if it were another company.

I'd wait till they release the updated version with the bug fixes and the extra content anyway. I looked over the titles list for the current consoles and I don't see much point in being an early adopter.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Given Call of Duty 1 was arguably the best FPS (fantastic sound), the demo of Call of Duty 2 did little to surprise me.

Definitely on my Christmas list.

There is one thing I noticed though:

WOW. This game was brilliant. The dev said they were using all three cores - one for graphics processing with the GPU, one for AI, and one for effects and physics. It showed. The game was butter smooth, and intense.

How exactly did "it show" that they were using all three cores? I mean, would it really play any differently if they had equal distribution over all 3 cores? It certainly didn't slough or look bad on my single processor here at home.

I went to an EA recruitment session, and he mentioned something interesting. According to the speaker (Dr. John Buchanan), current games on the PS2 and XBOX use about 5% of the resources for Artificial Intelligence. He expects on the new consoles for that number to jump to 10% (which is a big boost, because 10% of Cell/Xenon is way more than 5% of the PS2/XBOX, far more than double). I wonder if Infinity Ward really has an entire processor dedicated to Artificial Intelligence, or if there isn't more happening on that processor.

Dedicating an entire processor to it would make me assume (perhaps erroneously) that it would be approaching 33% of the processing power for AI.

Edited by alanschu

First impressions of games like Oblivion are pretty worthless. Even I can enjoy them for a couple of days before the cracks begin to appear in just how repetative the whole exercise is.

You can probably get a pretty good handle on an FPS or racing game in an hour. But your not going to see much of an RPG in that time.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Lets see here, it uses the player's ability for combat.  On how well the player can quickly button smash.  That reeks of Diablo.

There is probably some sort of timer in there.Bigger weapons swing slower than small weapons, thats basic stuff after all. Morrowind combat was awful so I dont blame them for trying something new, although it could turn out to be just as awful at the end of the day at least they recognised the weakness of Morrowind combat (actually that pretty much goes all the way back to Arena so it took them a while).

478327[/snapback]

Of all the games that I have played only one game did combat to my tastes and that was Temple of Elemental Evil. Too bad everything else sucked in that game.

Oh well, I'll wait til I actually play the game before I make any final judgements, but from what I have heard I don't like it.

Oh well, I'll wait til I actually play the game before I make any final judgements, but from what I have heard I don't like it.

Usually a good idea. Never know it might suprise you (in a good way).

478327[/snapback]

Lets see here, it uses the player's ability for combat.  On how well the player can quickly button smash.  That reeks of Diablo.

If it was mindlessly hitting the same button over and over with no worry of the consequences, then yes, it would reek of Diablo.

But since combat is dependent of your ability to mix your attacks, be aware of what direction your pulling on the stick so you perform the proper attack for the situation, raising your shield when required, mixing power, quick, and normal attacks, and watching your fatigue, then it really goes beyond that of Diablo.

For a first person shooter, not one bit. In a CRPG, yes, it is very bad.

Can you explain how it is bad?

Edited by Epiphany

Is that the player's ability or the character's ability, Epiphany?

It's both. It requires the players ability to physically make contact (no more swinging through an enemy) - but then uses the characters ability to determine damage, and the various other stats.

It's more complex then that, but in a simple way, the player is responsible for what attacks are made, and when you block. The characters abilities determine the outcome of those choices.

If I had to explain it to you then you have no business playing a RPG.

Why? A RPG, is afterall, a roleplaying game. It at no point requires the player to be completely detatched from combat. The whole "I'm two inches away and swing a 5' sword and it passes directly through your body because I rolled a 15 instead of a 16+" is fairly lame...

Edited by Epiphany

Thanks for the info. I am glad Oblivion comes to the PC too. Let's see if Bethesda stays true to their promises and release it first on PC, or if they fall for the Microsoft pressure and delay the PC so the Xbox 360 version doesn't lose its shine.

I love that they msde the combat more twitch oriented in Oblivion! Morrowind's combat was so unbelievably bad that any change is good. Besides, maybe it's more like Blade of Darkness now? I've always wanted a RPG with the fighting system of that game incorporated..

It's still a little odd that they are having framerate problems. It's supposed to be in the stores (for the PC) in a month from today (November 18) and two months from now (December 21) it's supposed to be out for Xbox 360. That means it has to go gold in a week or so for the PC version.. Not much time to fix anything major.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thanks for the info. I am glad Oblivion comes to the PC too. Let's see if Bethesda stays true to their promises and release it first on PC, or if they fall for the Microsoft pressure and delay the PC so the Xbox 360 version doesn't lose its shine.

I love that they msde the combat more twitch oriented in Oblivion! Morrowind's combat was so unbelievably bad that any change is good. Besides, maybe it's more like Blade of Darkness now? I've always wanted a RPG with the fighting system of that game incorporated..

It's still a little odd that they are having framerate problems. It's supposed to be in the stores (for the PC) in a month from today (November 18) and two months from now (December 21) it's supposed to be out for Xbox 360. That means it has to go gold in a week or so for the PC version.. Not much time to fix anything major.

I don't think they gave anyone enough time there is a definate feeling of rushing to be first.Oblivion is supposed to be out the week after the 360 (in the US at least).

PC version is dated 25th of november in the UK wouldnt say that was set in stone though.

478327[/snapback]

MS has said several times it's a launch title for the X360 - but Bethesda has stood by their holiday '05 release timeframe. Holiday season starts on Black Friday, so anytime from Nov. 25th on I see it releasing.

I don't see the X360 version losing its shine, since the devs have said both the PC version and the X360 version are identical. They've even suggested on their forums that people not meeting the system requirements should just buy a X360 instead of upgrading their PC. They (the ones that regularly post) seem to like the console version better. But, you have to play to your larger audience, so that's what they're doing.

I didn't like the combo based system that game had. It was either too clunky, or too simple. Perhaps it was just the gameplay itself.

It's not uncommon for console games to have framerate issues up until the week it goes gold. I remember Bioware having issues with Jade Empire the week it went gold, and when it shipped it was pretty stable, minus a couple of areas. But they can't make engines worth squat, so I think in the hands of more capable engine builders, Jade would have not only looked better, but ran better as well.

The Xbox 360 preplay article is now up: http://www.spel2.se/artiklar/5.html

I'll quickly translate some of it for the non-swedish speakers among us (hethens!).

"Xbox 360 - The first playing session

This is the first console-generation I don't need.

Nintendo 8-bit gave the people 2D. The Super Nintendo made the 2D beautiful. The Playstatin gave us 3D. The Playstation 2 made it beautiful. The Xbox 360 makes 3D more beautiful, but for whom?

The new generation comes too quickly, and it sort of doesn't matter how many new functions the Xbox 360 has when it has no impact on the gameplay. The new thing about the new generation is that it lacks news. Or if you listen to the PR-presentation there are of course hundreds of child safety news, user friendy news and how great the console is as a media station. But I want to play.

And you can play, it is probably the best games console so far, but it's not a new generation. It doesn't feel like when I took my first cautious steps in Super Mario 64, or like when I was immersed by the sheer speed of Wipeout. Playing games on the Xbox 360 is like playing games on the Xbox, where someone's been fiddling with a super wipe cloth on the HDTV. Because if you look past the graphics, Project Gotham Racing 3, Dead or Alive 4 and Perfect Dark Zero are exactly like their equivalents on the Xbox.

The Xbox 360 is the beginning of five years of stagnation."

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Xbox360, PS3 or Revolution. The console doesn't matter, since the japanese still make the best games, no matter the console(maybe 1-2 non-japanese companies are up to it).

R-iiiight.

Super Mario Bros

Resident Evil

Ninja Gaiden

Tekken

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy

Chrono Trigger

Baten Kaitos

The Legend of Zelda

Soul Calibur

Katamari Damacy

Devil May Cry

Castlevania

Shenmue

At the PC section, the list is ofcourse more diverse, but they rule on the console-side.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So how where they?

Games listing...

Oblivion seems more and more like the ultimate sandbox-game, but i'll buy that one for the PC. I couldn't care much for the rest (where's Lost Odyssey?)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy