Looks like Blu-Ray wins.

Oerwinde

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/con..._9074_tc024.htm

Sony now has the support of 6 of the 7 major movie studios, and the 7th is assumed to be jumping on board soon, as well as Dell and Hewlett Packard, and the PS3 will have a blu-ray drive, meaning anyone who buys a PS3 will be able to watch Blu-Ray movies. Now Microsoft and Intel have thrown their support in for HD-DVD, but not putting an HD-DVD drive in the Xbox360 will really hurt the possible sales of HD-DVD I think.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/con..._9074_tc024.htm

Sony now has the support of 6 of the 7 major movie studios, and the 7th is assumed to be jumping on board soon, as well as Dell and Hewlett Packard, and the PS3 will have a blu-ray drive, meaning anyone who buys a PS3 will be able to watch Blu-Ray movies. Now Microsoft and Intel have thrown their support in for HD-DVD, but not putting an HD-DVD drive in the Xbox360 will really hurt the possible sales of HD-DVD I think.

It's pretty funny that the 360 wont ship with a HDDVD , blame Toshiba for that. MS were just desperate to steal a jump on Sony that they stuck in the obsolete DVD.

Easy to see why Sony call it the Xbox 1.5 isnt it.

Whether or not they intend to stick a HDDVD in a later date throws up all sorts of problems. Quite what MS are doing endorsing HDDVD is anyones guess since they are not a movie studio and their only applicable application dosnt have one.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Its going to be retardedly expensive for blue ray disks. Blue ray techology to manufature is crazy epensive. PS3 is going to be crazy expensive because I don't see sony as a company that doesn't care about profit. And I read somewhere that the xbox is expecting the gaming industry to go the way of the music industry and become all about downloading. Which is where the Hard Drive is going to come in handy. Im a fan of both Playstation and Xbox, and I will probably end up owning both of their next gen consoles, but Im not a fan of blue ray and the expense.

Its going to be retardedly expensive for blue ray disks. Blue ray techology to manufature is crazy epensive. PS3 is going to be crazy expensive because I don't see sony as a company that doesn't care about profit. And I read somewhere that the xbox is expecting the gaming industry to go the way of the music industry and become all about downloading. Which is where the Hard Drive is going to come in handy. Im a fan of both Playstation and Xbox, and I will probably end up owning both of their next gen consoles, but Im not a fan of blue ray and the expense.

Like any new tech the price will drop as it becomes more wide spread. Blu Ray is no more expensive now than DVD was 6 years ago.

You wont get far downloading on a 20 MB HD when it comes to games. Thats assuming you even have one, since developers have been told not to expect to work with a HD as standard.

Same may be true of the PS3 but it's launch is about 6 months off so nothing is set in stone yet.

The expense of everything pales besides that of bying a Hi Def TV anyway :p

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If Bluray can store more than HDVDV then Bluray for teh win. period.

economics are for pussies :p"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

AT the moment they've got the HDdvd at 30GB capacity, yes blu ray is reporting dual layer at 50GB but is that extra space useable? (for movies at least there is a ceiling beyond which the extra space is moot)

Intel and MS backed hddvd cos they reckon blu ray wont allow network streaming or something. Blu ray said this is absurd as the copy protection for blu ray is based upon the same thing as hddvd -- bleh at this point the arguments are technical.

HD has an advantage in that the discs can be produced using teh same eqipment as for current gen DVDs. For blu ray new machines and processes must be used and no doubt the extra cost will be passed on to the consumer.

I'll go for which ever has the movies I like to watch and what games I like to play.

Viscy for teh win!!11

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

From what I hear, Blu-Ray will cost around 30 bucks for a movie instead of 25-27 for a DVD(Canadian New Release Prices). Thats not a big jump, and the 5 bucks is worth it if you've ever seen something in HD. The jump in quality between DVD and HD is about the same, if not greater than the jump in quality between VHS and DVD. And if sony can reproduce the same technology that allowed the HD-DVDs to go to 45 GB, that would put Blu-Ray discs at 75 GB. You could fit the Star Wars trilogy on a single disc in HD with that kind of space.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

You could fit the Star Wars trilogy on a single disc in HD with that kind of space.

Yeah, but you'll still need 3 discs for the LotR trilogy.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You could fit the Star Wars trilogy on a single disc in HD with that kind of space.

Yeah, but you could fit each of the extended editions with all the extras on a single disc.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, but you could fit each of the extended editions with all the extras on a single disc.

You mean I wouldn't have to switch discs in the middle of Return of the King? :thumbsup:

But as the discs change so does the format. Theyre not going to cram 25hours of DVD-resolution film onto a Bluray disc, theyre going to put 4hours of HDTV res film on them.

So, we will still have 12-disc mega boxed sets even with Bluray :o

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

So...it's way too late for MS to put the HDDVD drives in? They've already been mass produced?

So what does this mean? Will I have to stop midway through Halo 3 to put in a second disc? (This goes for all next-gen games, not just Halo)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

But as the discs change so does the format. Theyre not going to cram 25hours of DVD-resolution film onto a Bluray disc, theyre going to put 4hours of HDTV res film on them.

So, we will still have 12-disc mega boxed sets even with Bluray :huh:

I'm talking triple layer discs. They can fit 4 hours of HD res film on one 25 GB single layer Blu-Ray disc. If they can replicate the HD-DVD triple layer technology on Blu-Ray, that boosts it to 75 GB. The LotR extended editions were only split over 2 discs because they had 4 commentary tracks, as well as the standard audio tracks.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

So...it's way too late for MS to put the HDDVD drives in? They've already been mass produced?

So what does this mean? Will I have to stop midway through Halo 3 to put in a second disc? (This goes for all next-gen games, not just Halo)

Pretty much, the 360 launches in 2 months so it's stuck with DVD. It seems likely that if the 360 wants to keep pace once the PS3 is released and they start to use more than 10 GB per game, then your going to need multiple disks. Two disks dosnt seem too far fetched but if ever it gets to the point of someone actually filling a Blu Ray disk then your game box is going to be thicker than the old style game boxes.

478327[/snapback]

Pretty much, the 360 launches in 2 months so it's stuck with DVD. It seems likely that if the 360 wants to keep pace once the PS3 is released and they start to use more than 10 GB per game, then your going to need multiple disks. Two disks dosnt seem too far fetched but if ever it gets to the point of someone actually filling a Blu Ray disk then your game box is going to be thicker than the old style game boxes.

Once they really start pushing the HD capabilities of the games that will start to fill a lot of space. I think one japanese dev house already complained that standard DVDs don't have enough space if you have to display everything in HD. I mean some games for the PS2 are starting to come out on 2 discs, add the extra space for the new next gen graphics, as well as the extra space required for HD picture quality, and you're going to need some crazy compression to fit that on DVDs.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Once they really start pushing the HD capabilities of the games that will start to fill a lot of space. I think one japanese dev house already complained that standard DVDs don't have enough space if you have to display everything in HD. I mean some games for the PS2 are starting to come out on 2 discs, add the extra space for the new next gen graphics, as well as the extra space required for HD picture quality, and you're going to need some crazy compression to fit that on DVDs.

I think MS is making two mistakes. First is being so desperate to beat the PS3 out of the door that they have put in a DVD which is going to be worthless in a couple of years rather than wait for HDDVD which would at least be comparable to Blu Ray. Second , in order to appear more of a bargain to have the core system without a HD when Xbox users are already used to having one and also since Allard reckons 50% of all 360 users will be on live (It's around 5% right now) and live requires a HD.

I just read that Biowares new game plans to have downloaded episodes which again is going to need a HD. Going to have a lot of disgruntled people out there in a year or two.

478327[/snapback]