Getting up early in the morning

Atreides

I usually head to bed at 11 PM and my body just wakes up at 6 AM.  I just wake up. 

I've always been able to do the same, as long as I'm not on swing shifts. Those kill me; the old internal clock just gives up for the duration. But it's never easy to get out of bed, and there is no snooze button. Fortunately (?) my new puppy has recently become a convert to the religion of housebreaking, and he's more like a Distant Early Warning than an alarm clock...

I don't need an alarm clock. I have an extremely annoying morning person of a girlfriend.

My ex had the annoying habit of setting her alarm two hours before she had to work ( at six in the morning) and then pressing the snooze button for an hour and a half. I'm a light sleeper who would be wide awake after the first time it went off.

lol that's my way of getting up too

there have been countless times at camp when they literally had to drag me out of my tent, and even then I would not budge :)"

I'm so not a morning person ;)

I hate waking up myself. I know I can function without that much sleep but that warm coziness of being wrapped up in your blankets drags me back to bed.

One thing that works for me is promising myself a treat when I wake up. Right now it's a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. The thought of sweet crunchy cereal and ice cold milk usually is enough to drag me from bed after my horribly annoying alarm goes off.

The fact that I've got to wake up at 7 every morning for school makes any arguments that I may have against waking up early completely moot.

Either I go, or it's detentions, lots and lots of detentions. 6 per day I miss without parental notification (My school has really cracked down this year...which just happens to be my senior year. They couldn't have just waited to go all pseudo-nazi on us until...ya know....I was gone?)

On weekends, I don't know what "mornings" are. It's afternoon or bust.

What works for me though, is to put my alarm on the highest volume, and place it just out of reach of my bed, so I don't go shutting it off while half asleep. Then I just...get up......not much choice in the matter.

Then again...I get to sleep at around 2 AM every night...even when I want to sleep much, much earlier. There's somethin wrong with me...so, as a precautionary measure, I'm giving up coffee. >_<

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

The best tip is right here

1.  Go to bed early. 

Figure out how much sleep you body needs and try to get that amount. I did not do that today and I'm paying for it right now.

I hate waking up myself. I know I can function without that much sleep but that warm coziness of being wrapped up in your blankets drags me back to bed.

One thing that works for me is promising myself a treat when I wake up. Right now it's a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. The thought of sweet crunchy cereal and ice cold milk usually is enough to drag me from bed after my horribly annoying alarm goes off.

Sounds like a plan!

Spreading beauty with my katana.

People have different sleep cycles inborn; some function better on a late shift, some on an early one. I think it adds a lot of stress to buck biology, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Try limiting soda intake especially in the evening and eating a small portion of carbohydrates before bedtime (no junk food). Then spend the last hour reading a book in bed.

I think that there is a study showing that teens (as a general age group) actually need the extra sleep in the morning; a couple years ago the school district where I live cited it when they adjusted the high school schedule to start later (and end later). It wasn't all madness--they also felt it afforded less time for the kids to wander around causing mischief at local businesses before their parents got home. The kids did seem more tractable in the morning, but unfortunately it didn't mesh well with the parents' work schedules. Not too pleasant to find out that Little Johnny got involved in playing video games and missed the bus.

My alarm is so very annoying. I like to lie in bed and listen to the radio for a couple minutes to help me wake up. Unfortunatly my alarm on the stereo has a "feature" that makes it ramp up the volume by a factor of 500 every 3 seconds. <_< This means that either I get it turned off quickly or it wakes up everyone in the house.

That's when it uses the radio or a cd. The buzzer is just so very pathetic I haven't used it more than once just to test it out.

Investing in a decent alarm clock might be worth it as well. My latest is one of those cd jobbies. Whenever I wake up , be it 4 or 5 or 6 in the morning, the first thing I hear is 'My name is Jonas' by Weezer. It doesn't make getting up any easier but it beats those damn buzzer sounds... :thumbsup:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I agree, i hate those buzzing sounds in the morning, they seem to make me annoyed for the rest of the day >_<.

A way that i often wake up in the morning, is to plug my music into my speakers, set my alarm on the time i want to wake up, then it wakes me up with great music in the morning :thumbsup:. The only bad thing is that my speakers; when turned on, produce a bright blue light, but i need to leave it on for the morning >_<.

That, and going to bed early often helps a lot :wub:

For my new daily commute, I have to get up at 4am. I used to press the snooze button and set my alarm early and all sorts of things. To be honest, I think you should just tough it out. I set my alarm for 4am. When my alarm sounds in the morning, I get up right away, without even thinking, and then head to the bathroom immediately. Age has been a help of late, since I invariably must use the restroom anyhow.

The point is, get in the habit of getting up immediately. Don't mess around with snooze or whatnot. Don't worry about getting to bed early the first night. Just make sure you force yourself to get up early in the morning. Nature will take over soon enough and you'll be able to sleep easily after a few days of such an exhausting schedule.

After you get used to a schedule of getting up early in the morning and going to bed relatively early at night, then you should try to keep a similar schedule on the weekends. No, that doesn't mean you can't catch some extra sleep, but don't sleep until noon on Saturday. Sleep an extra hour or so. If you have to get up really early, something like my 4am schedule, get up around six or so. That way, you're not confusing your body by keeping different schedules.

You might want to start working out during the day. A good workout helps you sleep, keeps your body in good shape, and makes you look better to members of the opposite sex (or the same sex if that's your preference).

Finally, if you simply hate getting up that early in the morning, don't take jobs or classes that require an early schedule. It might be easier to work your schedule around the time you find easiest to sleep.

That's the long and short of it. Discipline yourself and it won't be a problem.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Couple of tricks over the years:

1) Sleep on the floor. You quickly adapt and are able to sleep, but you don't have the urge to wallow come the morning.

2) Tell yourself to wake up at a specific time and check your watch before you sleep. Some friendsand I tried this with excellent results.

3) During my university finals I paid someone to come into my room and throw water over me. Apart from the mess it was actually a pretty great way to start the day.

4) I currently have pigeons nesting outside my apartment window. This is the worst way to wake up - horrible intestinal gurgling noises. However it has taught me you CAN solve some problems by throwing money at them. Provided the problem is a pigeon, you leave the window open, and the money is two pence pieces.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

4) I currently have pigeons nesting outside my apartment window. This is the worst way to wake up - horrible intestinal gurgling noises. However it has taught me you CAN solve some problems by throwing money at them. Provided the problem is a pigeon, you leave the window open, and the money is two pence pieces.

OH ****, had a damn duck quacking nonstop somewhere outside near the stream from 7 am onwards when I'm trying to ****ing sleep from 4am onwards on a damn weekend. Never had that problem before. I almost felt like getting out of bed and going outside to throw rocks at the damn duck.

Spreading beauty with my katana.