System Shock 2

KotOR 1 & 2

Fallout 1 & 2

Planescape Torment

Any Final Fantasy

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Speaking of which...

World of Warcraft.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

WoW is essential now? :sorcerer:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

WoW is essential now? :sorcerer:

As essential as the pile of crap that is Icewind Dale 2, sure. Most likely even more so.

COMMA!

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Both Fallouts

Both Baldur's Gates

Arcanum

Icewind Dale

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

WoW is essential now? ;)

As essential as the pile of crap that is Icewind Dale 2, sure. Most likely even more so.

COMMA!

I never said IWD 2 was essential. Well, whatever.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I never said IWD 2 was essential. Well, whatever.

I never said you said it either, Mus. :*

Blame Baley.

To Tingie:

Ah, I thought you made a jab at me commenting that "IWD 2 is probably my favorite game ever" on a previous thread. :D

kirottu said:

Eh?

I chose it as an honorable mention.

IWD2 pWnZ WoW!!11...n00B!

Die pls.

What are the quintessential RPGs? Those that stick out in your mind above all others? What games should every RPG fan play before truly calling themselves a gamer?

There are so many crpg games that have been released that are beyond belief. Most responses are going to be similar, and those games are good. However, the five or so titles that keep popping up are not the end-all, be-all of great games. Think of it like movies.. if you ask a forum of people to name the movies to watch you'd get countless Star Wars, Godfathers and the occasion Hitch****. Other classics like The Maltese Falcon and The Tin Drum you probably wouldn't hear, but these oft-forgotten classics would be required viewing for an understanding of cinema.

Darklands - My number one recommendation for anyone who asks. An epic historical rpg that came out over 10 years ago. I cannot use words to describe.. just play it! You'll be glad you did.

The Magic Candle - Fabulous game that gets a blank stare from most people nowadays. Fun battles, good puzzles, non-linear gameplay, truckload of quests, and an absolutely huge world = fun times. The two direct sequel are pretty decent.. with the MC series, the box art is inversely proportinate to the enjoyment.

Shin Megami Tensei - Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star are all well and good, but Atlus' post-apocalyptic, heretical Megami Tensei series is an absolute must even for people who hate jrpgs. Since the two Shin titles on the SNES have been translated into english, there are no more excuses for not trying these out.

Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed - Another non-Tolkienesque crpg that takes place in the 25th century. Forget the corny show and serials, this game is much more serious than stupid, wise-cracking,"bidee-bidee-bidee-bidee" robots. Political intrigue, assasinations and betrayal are glued together with the combat from the SSI AD&D games.

Realms of Arkania - Very intricate series of RPGs designed by Guido Henkel who helped produce Planescape: Torment. At first glance, the games may appear to be somewhat run-of-the-mill (generic fantasy setting, standard story, etc.). Not is all that it seems. Lots of stats, awesome story and fun combat make this series a keeper.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my hat. Have fun.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

And how does a game like Dungeon Siege or Fable Ultima VIII make this list?

Fixed!

Ender is going to try and kill you...

I was about to send death-ninjas but my wife rather likes Alanschu, so he is spared for the moment.

But next time....

police-dogs-with-cameras.jpg

Dogs with friggin' laser beams!

What are the quintessential RPGs? Those that stick out in your mind above all others? What games should every RPG fan play before truly calling themselves a gamer?

There are so many crpg games that have been released that are beyond belief. Most responses are going to be similar, and those games are good. However, the five or so titles that keep popping up are not the end-all, be-all of great games. Think of it like movies.. if you ask a forum of people to name the movies to watch you'd get countless Star Wars, Godfathers and the occasion Hitch****. Other classics like The Maltese Falcon and The Tin Drum you probably wouldn't hear, but these oft-forgotten classics would be required viewing for an understanding of cinema.

Darklands - My number one recommendation for anyone who asks. An epic historical rpg that came out over 10 years ago. I cannot use words to describe.. just play it! You'll be glad you did.

Shin Megami Tensei - Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star are all well and good, but Atlus' post-apocalyptic, heretical Megami Tensei series is an absolute must even for people who hate jrpgs. Since the two Shin titles on the SNES have been translated into english, there are no more excuses for not trying these out.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my hat. Have fun.

Yes. I've played these three. Great games.