Why twitch gamers suck

Rhomal

This categorization is vastly unfair though. Both post-acop and cyberpunk are sci-fi settings. There are many variations in Fantasy  as well (for instance, Star Wars is more a Fantasy setting than a Sci Fi one), so keeping that category together while splitting up sci-fi will produce somewhat skewed results. A better way of looking at it is that sci-fi holds 27% to the 70% of fantasy.

Fine - 27% to 70%...does that really change the indication that fantasy holds a significant preference? The poll has fantasy broken down into "traditional high fantasy" and "original fantasy", by the way. I don't see how that skews the overall picture that fantasy seems to be clearly preferred by CRPG fans. It's just a poll -- hardly incontrovertible proof -- but I think it's a good indication.

World of Warcraft and Everquest are hardly examples of rpgs. Why people pay twenty bucks a month to use a glorified chat room and double click on rats all day is beyond me.

I didn't say they were RPGs - just a good example of how the market values polish and refinement.

On the turn-based thing, again, when you have fans that play PnP and have followed the genre for 20 years and watched TB CRPGs effectively disappear, it's not surprising they might blame the rise of action gamers. Doesn't mean they are right but surely it's understandable.

And how will I play it? I don't own a computer any more and i doubt my roommate would want me to clutter his computer with my games.

A veritable guarantee that NWN2 will be the bestest game ever then.

I predict 100% ratings, with the easiest, yet most powerful module tools in existance, and an OC that makes you go "What was this Baldur's Gate thing?" and "Fall-what?"

:(

I'll make my prediction right here and now (and someone can quote me) that when NWN2 is released Hades will "somehow" play it. He'll come up with an excuse as to how or why he ended up playing it, just like how he's gone back on pretty much everything he's stated on here at one point or another. :(

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Fine - 27% to 70%...does that really change the indication that fantasy holds a significant preference?  The poll has fantasy broken down into "traditional high fantasy" and "original fantasy", by the way.  I don't see how that skews the overall picture that fantasy seems to be clearly preferred by CRPG fans.  It's just a poll -- hardly incontrovertible proof -- but I think it's a good indication.

It was never my intent to argue that fantasy is the preferred setting. Even with a wide margin. However, 70% vs 27% for second most popular is significantly different from 70% vs 10%.

The interesting question however is how many will buy their preferred category exclusively. I have a feeling the oerlap is quite large as well.

I agree. Not sure I can figure out a useful poll question that would answer that. :thumbsup: I do think it means publishers will take the safe route 90% of the time, and hardcore players may grumble on forums about ther lack of variety but will buy it anyway. Anyway, the original intent of my post was to say to Foamhead that I don't think the fantasy bias of cRPGs has much to do with the state of the genre.

I am not getting another computer.  Just not cost effective.  If you get a bad game on the computer you are stuck with it.  If you get a bad game on a console you can trade it in for some cash and get a different game. 

Can do that at EB, have so several times.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I know a few places in my area that will take returns on opened computer software. Though it's only for cash value, and within a period of time. All of them allow for replacements based on damaged software, meaning you can replace it with the same copy of the game. Unopened software can usually be exchanged for that dollar value.

If you want cash, then it's a little tricker (as businesses like to hold on to cash). My local EB Games does buy back PC games though.

I know there are some that refuse to take back opened PC software, but those aren't the places I buy my PC software from (like I return any of it anyways though) usually.

Do these places still accept returns on opened console games too? I mean with HDs becoming popular and modding consoles and whatnot, it certainly does seem as though it's just as easy to make illegal copies of it as it is with PC software.

Places like EB games (at least in my neighborhood) will still buy older games, though you won't get much for them.

I am not getting another computer.  Just not cost effective.  If you get a bad game on the computer you are stuck with it.  If you get a bad game on a console you can trade it in for some cash and get a different game. 

Can do that at EB, have so several times.

EB doesn't exist where I live.

Regarding the possibility of low level wizards being wimpy - that's how they are supposed to be in D&D, isn't it?!

I always thought half the fun of playing a wizard or thief was managing their frailty while wielding their unique powers.

NWN1 was just a weird unsatisfying hybrid because there was no way to have a balanced party - so all the classes were buffed up and the challenges were toned down.

NWN2 should be better.

All of which many folks have said before.

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Low level wizards are not 'wimpy'. I cna take out any low level character playing a mage with one simple spell. So can anyone playing a wizard. It's not rocket scientist either. Why do people propagate this false myth?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guest Fishboot
Low level wizards are not 'wimpy'. I cna take out any low level character playing a mage with one simple spell. So can anyone playing a wizard. It's not rocket scientist either. Why do people propagate this false myth?

I have no idea how things work in third edition, but in first and second edition AD&D and the boxed basic D&Ds a first or second level wizard was a walking Sleep spell. I dunno if I would call them weak exactly, since the Sleep spell was a holy terror against low level enemies (sleeps something like 8HD over a decent range, no saving throw, and by the rules an incapacitated enemy could be killed with no rolls or HP involved), but they were certainly shallow and dull.

Yes.

But the spell can be easily disrupted and the wizard can be killed by one hit or bite from almost any other character or monster class.

They really are "wimpy", you know. That is the right word.

They usually have low strength and only moderate constitution. They also wear little armor. They can use spells for protection but the spell will eventually run out and they may not succeed in getting the spell off once combat starts.

I like the challenge - and also the power!

:D

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Last time I played a mage was in Pool of Radiance back in the eighties. D&D 2E for teh win!!1 Anyhow, I clearly remember my poor mage having four hitpoints! Four! And nothing but some sleep spells and perhaps a detect magic or something. Maybe a magic missile too (Can't really remember). Anyhow, if four hitpoints isn't wimpy then I don't know what is.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm sorry, but what first level spell is going to take out most any other character?

Low level Wizards are significantly weaker than other characters. Not only are you mismatched in a one-on-one encounter, but after one round, you're spent for the entire day, where as a Fighter can keep swinging his sword all day long.

Conversely, high level Wizards are insanely powerful.

D&D has never had balance.