The PS3 without a HD? Guess what the Xbox 360 ...

Drakron

Did someone state that the X-Box was going to ship at $299 with the HDD included?  ...Or was the price originally going to be $399 for the package and they've decided to reduce the price?  The point is, if they haven't offered less for the same price or more for an increased price, I don't see why it's a big deal that they're offering a basic package.

All that aside, I don't intend to buy any system without an HDD.  I use my hard disk, and I'll be damned if I'll buy a console without one.  If they're too exhuberant with the pricing, I'll buy nothing.

Homebrew Media Center for teh win!

There are multiple problems with what MS is doing.

1) No blu-ray or hd-dvd support. The fact is that PS2 achieved its insane market saturation because at launch it was not only a next-gen gaming machine but an affordable dvd player. This was before $50 dvd players at Wal-mart. It was this thinking that killed the Dreamcast. DC had better looking games, online support, an awesome and diverse game library, and a year headstart and died because of this Sony tactic.

2) No standard hard drive. Isn't it funny that for the last 5 years Microsoft has been preaching that standard hard drives are the future of console gaming. With Xbox 360 having a fragmented user base with some having the hdd and others not, developers are less likely to alienate those without since that is automatically lost sales. The first Xbox hdd was hardly used mostly because games were developed with PS2 in mind first and Xbox second. Now, the hard drive will hardly be used because it is now an add-on. I guess this means no next gen Blinx. :huh:

3) Premium and Core. If you expect to walk in and purchase a Premium 360 on launch day with a pre-order, you might want to rethink your strategy. I expect to see a ton of Core systems at EB and Gamestop since if you purchase the Core and have to buy all the peripherals seperately, the retailers make Big Bux! Premium = $400.. but Core = $300 + 100 for hdd + 50! for wireless controller + 20 for headset + etc

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

Did someone state that the X-Box was going to ship at $299 with the HDD included?  ...Or was the price originally going to be $399 for the package and they've decided to reduce the price?  The point is, if they haven't offered less for the same price or more for an increased price, I don't see why it's a big deal that they're offering a basic package.

This is the first time we hear about Xbox packages,what they include and the price.

PS3 is rumored to also have a basic package without a HD but nothing have been official stated ove PS3 packagas.

The point is Xbox fanboys were stating their console superiority and saying that Xbox 360 having a HD in all models would make it better that PS3.

All that aside, I don't intend to buy any system without an HDD.  I use my hard disk, and I'll be damned if I'll buy a console without one.  If they're too exhuberant with the pricing, I'll buy nothing.

A HD is not needed beyond to store save files, I say it again NOT NEEDED.

You cannot direcxtly access the HD without modding the console, a console is not a PC and you sould not be installing games on a console HD.

drakron.png

The Revolution ::eyes roll and the sound of knowing smirks fill the air:: will have 512 megabytes of built in flash memory, which will be "expandable" via SD memory card slot. This info can be transfered to your computer.

:(

::is hit by an egg::

:'(

It's already happening, after praising the HDD as a 'key-feature' of the original Xbox and Xbox360 until this very day, more fanboys(slashdot and teamxbox.com) are going with "It wasn't really necessary anyway"-argument (Not you Drakron :blink: ).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Revolution ::eyes roll and the sound of knowing smirks fill the air:: will have 512 megabytes of built in flash memory, which will be "expandable" via SD memory card slot. This info can be transfered to your computer.

:blink:

::is hit by an egg::

:'(

That's 512 megabit of memory.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's 512 megabit of memory.

I copy and pasted off a forum, sue me

No worries, the pedantic tech-head inside of me crawled out, spat some venom, and then crawled back :huh:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Very interesting, Servant. I am.... intrigued. :Eldar's evil grin icon:

Actually, Servant knew my mind, Drakron. I use my xbox as a multimedia center. I have a boatload of songs on it. Somewhere along the lines of a thousand soungs so far. I use it for my stereo and DVD player. I don't like having 50 different machines in my front room, and it has sufficed quite well. I won't replace it with something that does not have a hard disk. I use my xbox for as a media center far more than I have ever considered using it as a gaming system. I like the games, but they're only part of the whole package.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So it's really 64MB?

No, it is, in fact, 512 megabytes :huh:

LInk, search "512"

Link2

LINK3

Let's just hope all their sources weren't the same ...

... have they actually produced a model yet, or is it all still vapourware?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, Servant knew my mind, Drakron. I use my xbox as a multimedia center. I have a boatload of songs on it. Somewhere along the lines of a thousand soungs so far. I use it for my stereo and DVD player. I don't like having 50 different machines in my front room, and it has sufficed quite well. I won't replace it with something that does not have a hard disk. I use my xbox for as a media center far more than I have ever considered using it as a gaming system. I like the games, but they're only part of the whole package.

If you're really crafty, you can turn it into your own personal TiVo, minus the TiVo software that makes it so they can stuff ads in your recorded programs. You can even download program guides off the internets.

I think I might look into this and create my own multi-media rig. If I do that, who cares about the console anyhow? Hmm, I shall have to consider this.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If you're really crafty, you can turn it into your own personal TiVo, minus the TiVo software that makes it so they can stuff ads in your recorded programs. You can even download program guides off the internets.

I've seen people do that with their XBoxes with linux and MythTV.

I have a Tivo through my cable company that only costs me a couple bucks extra since I'm already renting a digital cable box. I think Tivo costs me like $5 a month more.

But the Media Center software on my hacked XBox is incredible.

This comes from Allard:

Q: What about backward compatibility in the core system?

A: because we didn't abstract storage in the first generation xbox back compat will require a hard drive. the good news is that the core system owners can upgrade if they deside to update at a later date.

So if you don't buy the $400 version, you don't get backwards compatibility. Why list backwards compatibility as a core feature of the system when it requires a peripheral?

Where is Epiphany? I'd love to see what he has to say about this considering he was saying M$ would have a HDD standard, and that Sony lies about their specs but M$ is the bastion of honesty.

Another interesting quote.

There is no question that four hundred dollars is a good chunk of money, but how wide is the gap between this console launch and the price of previous gaming hardware? What follows is a list of previous consoles with their prices adjusted for inflation according to the Consumer Price Index. NASA.org is kind enough to provide an array of inflation calculators including a separate calculator based on the Employment Cost Index which is based on employee wages and benefits.

Atari VCS launched in 1977 for $249.99 = $811.21 in 2005

Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 = $354.91 in 2005

SEGA Genesis launched in 1989 for $249.99 = $389.67 in 2005

NeoGeo launched in 1990 for $699.99 = $1041.12 in 2005

Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99 = $282.21 in 2005

Jaguar launched in 1993 for $249.99 = $328.69 in 2005

3DO Interactive Multiplayer launched in 1993 for $699.95 = $920.30 in 2005

SEGA Saturn launched in 1995 for $399.99 = $497.66 in 2005

Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 for $199.99 = $242.75 in 2005

SEGA Dreamcast launches in 1999 for $199.99 = $228.09 in 2005

PlayStation launched in 1995 for $299.99 = $372.01 in 2005

PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99 = $333.15 in 2005

Xbox Launched in 2001 for $299.99 = $325.34 in 2005

GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 = $216.89 in 2005

• 2 weeks later...

"From Software producer Masanori Takeuchi, who's been working on Enchant Arm, a role-playing game slated to be an Xbox 360 launch title, said developers will also be running into issues of storage space in the next generation. While the Xbox 360 is a next-generation console, Microsoft decided to equip it with a normal DVD reader rather than give it HD-DVD or Blu-ray reading capabilities.

'The volume of data in Enchant Arms won't fit into a single DVD. It's an RPG, so we're thinking it would be inevitable that we release it on two discs," says Takeuchi. "But to be honest, that's even looking grim.' "

Who was that bonehead again that tried to convince us all that the Xbox 360's normal DVD was actually a step in forward (into the future!!1) while the PS3's BluRay was crap and not useful for 10 years? A launch title for the Xbox 360 is having problems with space on TWO DVD's!

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/30/news_6132218.html

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!