Who was the Exile's master?

"On the issue of his knighthood. I believe the Exile was just about to become a full ranked knight but than the Mandalorian wars came beckoning. He was probably very powerful and just hadn't gone through the Jedi trials yet, and he was good enough to become one of Revan's trusted generals."

According to Master Vrook, the Exile was a mediocre student of the Force. Only thing special about him was his innate leadership abilities and him creating Force bonds "willy-nilly".

I seemed to have missed the "mediocre" part, but Yeah, Vrook is just a huge tool. It's ridiculous to think that Exile was "mediocre", even before he became "a wound in the force".

ALso, didn't Revan and his fellow Jedi forsake the order to fight in the mandalorian wars? Or did they just not get the council's approval but still remained part of the order?

I believe Revan forsake the order to fight, got banished after he turned sith, but after his redemption, the order (or what was left of it) invited him back, since Master Vandar and the jedi council gave him praise at the LS ending of KOTOR I.

The Exile supposedly wasn't. From the various conversations I took it that what made the Exile so special was his ability to bond with others so quickly, including in the Force. Which in turn, I suspect, made him that much more powerful in the Force since he could draw of others' Force strength.

But from what I gather (which kind of directly contradicts how powerful the Exile is ingame at Malachor V), strictly on his own Force ability, he wasn't supposed to be anything special.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Perhaps the exile was never that strong with the force. The thing is, he drained most his power from others. It was his force bonds that made him strong, not his connection to the force.

Didn't I pretty much say that one post directly above you? :(

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Thus my theory about being able to depopulate planets and not get a single ds point. Anyway...

I would think that either Atris or Vash would be Exile's master. Simply because of how Atris responds to him in the beginning of the game. While Vash I just pulled out of my hat because we really don't know all that much about her.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

when you speak to Kavar in the cantina on Onderon he says something about him being your old master i think, not totally certain. My theory is that Exile was taught by Atris as a youngling till 13 perhaps then Kavar took him as a padawan, then in say 4 years Exile joines Revan and Malak. And on the brink of knighthood he forsakes the Jedi and this could explain why Atris and the Masters are so mad at him because he forsaked the Jedi Order when he could have made something out of it.

As for Vrook's opinion on Exile it fits his character, Vrook is never happy with anything anyone does. He would class Exile as mediocre because perhaps Exile is a strong force user and skilled with a lightsabre but his other traits aren't very Jedi like. As is stated earlier or later in that dialogue piece he had a heated argument with another pupil, thats not very Jedi like now is it?. So to Vrook perhaps its Exile's attitude and personality which is what makes him "mediocre".

I always think of Exile when he joined the war like Anakin did joining the clone wars, a young headstrong man with an affinity to the force. On the verge of becoming a Knight but the process is halted because of the war. Who knows perhaps Revan placed the rank of Jedi Knight upon Exile, considering she herself was a Knight.

Atris does drop hints that she may have had a hand, one time or another, in the Exile's training by the way she seems to take it so personally that he left her and the Jedi in order to follow Revan and Malak.

Atris does drop hints that she may have had a hand, one time or another, in the Exile's training by the way she seems to take it so personally that he left her and the Jedi in order to follow Revan and Malak.

That doesn't quite add up, though - Kreia was herself exiled from the order at the beginning of the Mandalorian Wars...

That doesn't quite add up, though - Kreia was herself exiled from the order at the beginning of the Mandalorian Wars...

I'm not following how what you wrote correlates to what I said about Atris and the Exile.....what does Kreia have to do with whether or not Atris was Exile's master...? :(

I'm not following how what you wrote correlates to what I said about Atris and the Exile.....what does Kreia have to do with whether or not Atris was Exile's master...? :(

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Please disregard. These aren't the droids you're looking for - move along :p

Didn't Kreia say something about the Exile being the rank of Knight when first talking with her? Also right after you watch the recording of the Exile's trial from T3 go to the feedback screen. It says that the Exile was wearing Jedi Knight's robes. Besides the Exile must have been at youngest twenty when he joined the Mandalorian wars for he seems to be around 40. Kavar does say to the Exile on Onderon about his old pupil returning. And I always thought that Atris took the Exile's leaving the Order personally when you play as a male because she had feelings for the Exile as Handmaiden seems to suggest.

well the feelings thing does come up in some convo but I don't remeber where. you get insinuations of it when Brianna fights Atris and looses, and there are a few Kreia comments on that. But I'm guessing that this sort of personal attachment in the Order can only come from a Master-Apprentice relationship between opposing genders. With the same gender the Master falls into a role of parent because the Apprentice never really had one. But when you have opposing genders you have a possibilty of and Oedipus complex or a reverse Oedipus (if I spelled that wrong I'm sorry) where they child or parent falls for the other side of the relationship.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

if you talk to the protocol droid in the dantooine dock and repair him he shows a recording of vrook and vandar talking about exile. they both agree that the exile wasn't that great in the force.

edit: here we go, proof. :D post-12225-1123569873_thumb.jpgpost-12225-1123569913_thumb.jpg

The quote said "mediocre Jedi" there, though, which would mean that it wasn't necessarily a reference to the Exile's power or combat prowess so much as it was to his personality and the more spiritual side of his Jedi Knighthood. The context was there, after all, with "lust for power" and "will lead to the dark side" popping in right after. Really, "average student of the Force" could have been said with that very same meaning.

Being a Jedi has frequently been expressed to be more than simply mastering one's use of and sensitivity to the Force. Spiritual and moral aspects of the Jedi Order seemed pretty significant in the life of a Jedi. Saying that someone was a "bad Jedi" could mean that, regardless of however much power or mastery they had acquired and achieved, they were perceived as having faltered in meeting other "standards" for living one's life as a Jedi.

EDIT: Although I suppose I should wait to reach that point in the game again and see the rest of the conversation between he and Master Vandar again before I continue making judgments here.

I always thought Atris had a crush or romantic interest in the Exile. She had the let down attitude that is associated with that type of behavior.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

EDIT: Although I suppose I should wait to reach that point in the game again and see the rest of the conversation between he and Master Vandar again before I continue making judgments here.

No need to wait for that - here's the recorded conversation from the dialog.tlk file (though I've identified who says what, but that's pretty obvious...):

Droid: "My apologies, Jedi.You are on the register as one of the Jedi who left the Enclave to fight in the Mandolorian Wars. My memory has no record of your return before now.You had no direct interaction with this droid. However, I have one instance of a conversation between Masters Vrook and Vandar regarding you.Beginning playback... Error, recording partially corrupted. Resolving..."

Vrook: "{static, 1 sec}...{annoyed}today I caught him in a heated argument with my Padawan! His Master refuses to properly discipline{static, 1 sec}. I want to know what action you intend!

Vandar: "Vrook, I respect your wisdom, but it is not your concern."

Vrook: "{upset} But... {static, 1 sec} uncontrolled! {static 1 sec}...whatever the other Padawans see him do, they are quick to do the same... {static}other students dislike him intensely!{patient}

Vandar: "True, an average student of the Force... {static}but with a unique strength...{static} is a natural leader...{static}"

Vrook: "{upset}I strongly disagree...{static, 2 sec} mediocre Jedi...{static 1 sec} lust for power! {static, 1 sec}...will lead to the dark side! Furthermore it... {static, 2 sec}"

Droid: "Recording degraded. End playback..."

Hmm, is it just me or is Vrook - again - in danger of falling to the dark side - jedi masters shouldn't be this upset over students, methinks. I mean, if he's that easy to upset, what will happen when he faces a true test to his temper?

Anyway, I've quoted the conversation since it's come under the discussion here. An interesting thing is that Vrook actually mentions the Exile's master, though that still gives us no clue as to who that master was. A shame, but they I guess it goes without saying - expecting Vrook to be helpful would be too much to hope for... :geek:" :)

I don't think Vrook is in danger of falling to the darkside. I think he's just a naturally grumpy old man. His actions are always in the name of the Jedi Order and in the name of preserving the Republic, so it's not like any of his attitude changes how he acts.

I don't think Vrook is in danger of falling to the darkside.  I think he's just a naturally grumpy old man.  His actions are always in the name of the Jedi Order and in the name of preserving the Republic, so it's not like any of his attitude changes how he acts.

He's an example of a Jedi who never got any. Look at Vrook and you see why Jedi need to get some love every now and then instead of being celibate.