NHL is back

Cantousent

http://www.mongabay.com/cities_pop_01.htm

Chicago is the third largest city in the US.  And Phoenix is on par with Houston really, but the Cardinals might as well be a small-market in team there.

This is pretty good info, but I have toask, does this take in account people who would be dubed illegal immigrants? Houston has an extremely large population of unregistered immigrants.

Not that any of that would factor in to determining the size of the sports market.

Anyway I guess I'll be heading up to Dallas to catch a preseason game. They were really lucky not to lose Modano

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I read that Toronto are now talking to Leclair! Haha, they're re-assembling the Legion of Doom, only they exchanged the swedish part (Sundin instead of Renberg) and in the process added a couple of 30-40 pounds of muscle! Now if only Lindros still had a brain and Leclair didn't have such a weak back this could actually be a lot of fun :alien:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Leclair is really on his last massive leg

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Read somewhere that the Leafs are pretty close to the cap, now that they've signed Lindros and a few others like Khamanov and Belak etc. Still, if they can land one more free agent, I'd rather they get Anson Carter than Leclair.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I'd rather they get Anson Carter than Leclair.

Rumour has it that Anson Carter was tradebait until the Kings found out that they could only get a used jockstrap and an expired subscription to Readers Digest.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Nyet. Thats actually the first I heard of it, but I've been offline most of the day. I'm just very relieved that the Oilers didn't pick up Chris Gratton. Thank you Mike Keenan.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Hehehehe.

I wouldn't have thought the Flames would be in the market for another defensemen. But Hamrlik is a good player, especially offensively. I think as a result (if it's true) Lydman will be on the trading block.

I'd rather they get Anson Carter than Leclair.

Rumour has it that Anson Carter was tradebait until the Kings found out that they could only get a used jockstrap and an expired subscription to Readers Digest.

Actually I believe Carter is a free agent, but restricted or unrestricted I dunno.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

I find it somewhat annoying that Miikka Kiprusoff decided to stay in Calgary, getting $10 million for three years, when Toronto is stuck with Belfour for almost as long and plenty more millions ($4.56 million only this year!). I mean, who'd you rather have on YOUR team right now? Gah.

I find it somewhat annoying that Miikka Kiprusoff decided to stay in Calgary, getting $10 million for three years, when Toronto is stuck with Belfour for almost as long and plenty more millions ($4.56 million only this year!). I mean, who'd you rather have on YOUR team right now? Gah.

I thought that it was a little odd that he was getting so little comparatively with others. He should be making more than the 2.6 or so he get's this year. He must like Calgary. :cool:

Well, as Alanschu said Roman Hamrlik was going to sign with the Flames, he did. To the tune of a two year, seven million dollar deal. Now he's making more than Kiprusoff. Romans good, but not 3.5 per year good.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I don't mind Belfour. In my opinion he's the sole reason why the Leafs even made it past Ottawa. Standing on his head stopping 40 shots per game is pretty impressive.

Belfour does have the experience and a tradition of solid goaltending, whereas Kiprusoff has half a season and a good playoff run. I come from San Jose, where Kiprusoff got his start, and he had his chance to be the number one goaltender. Nabakov went out a couple years ago just a few games in, and Kipper had to start. He cracked under the pressure. I'm not saying that will happen again, but Kipper still needs to prove himself for a full season.

Someone asked about Tony Granato...somehow Granato became the head coach of the Colorado Avalanche. The Av's have lost a good deal of talent, so it's questionable how the team will do. Personally I don't think Granato deserves a head coaching job in the NHL, there are quite a few guys out there who have worked harder to get to the head coaching level. Granato just fell into the job.

Belfour now reminds me too much of Ron Hextall

He still has his moments though

My point was not that I believe Kiprusoff to be god's gift to hockey, but that Belfour is on a steady decline (and I, who has watched a lot of Leafs games last season, consider him to be pretty far down that decline now) and Kiprusoff is on his way up. Kiprusoff spent the lockout season playing for Timr

Can't agree yet that Belfour is declining in skills, etc. You have to take his age into account, of course, and there's no telling what having a year off will mean. On one hand, injuries will be healed and it can only have done a world of good to his bad back. On the other, reflexes and timing will take awhile to come back, and that's true for all players, I guess. Staying in shape during the lockout isn't the same as being in game shape, right?

Right now, though, I am very much inclined to agree with Volourn. Toronto's team defence was worse than a sponge the last season they played, and Belfour is the only reason they did as well as they did. Hopefully he gets a little better support this year.

I'm interested to see how the new rules puts a premium on above average goaltenders

I am also interested to see how the new rules affect scoring. My hunch is that the good small goalies who rely on reflexes and the butterfly will thrive, while the positional goalies will have a lot to learn. It will definitely be interesting. I don't know if the rule changes will really give the fast forwards a ton of room. Every year the NHL starts out trying to kill obstruction and holding, but it only lasts the first month or so. We'll definitely see some more home run passes though.

It's going to be an interesting season.

The redline is disappearing, and that's a good thing. In Sweden (we removed it several years ago) it has lead to a more open play and some very exciting plays. It takes a lot less time for a team to switch from defence to offence without the redline rule.

I do look forward to seeing which goalies will be good with the new, smaller equipment. I have a feeling Brodeur will still be the best there is, but other than that I have no clue. Henrik Lundquist (new goalie for the Rangers) has already played for a couple of years with smaller than average equipment, so I don't think he will have too much trouble adjusting. But then again, he has yet to play his first game in the NHL..

Edit: I saw that Leclair signed with Pittsburgh Penguins. I'm glad Toronto didn't get him. Toronto doesn't have enough hospital space for Leclair, Allison and Lindros on the same team..